Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
DND said:
Practical question:

For these who become eligible in the next few weeks/months. What is the best strategy?
Should one apply immediately after he meets the 1095 days requirement? Should he wait to get a few extra days?
For those qualify in the new few weeks, wait and get enough buffer above 1095. Those who are on the cusp of qualifying, may have no choice but to apply day after the 1095 mark.

gammabeta79

Mar 17, 2015
screech339 said:
For those qualify in the new few weeks, wait and get enough buffer above 1095. Those who are on the cusp of qualifying, may have no choice but to apply day after the 1095 mark.
Do you mean that those who qualify by April 15th (say exactly 1095 days) should wait to get enough buffer above 1095 days? What does it mean? New bill will not be implemented until May 01 or later? How long one should wait if he/she completes 1095 days on April 15th? A week, two weeks?

And what are the chances that CIC will declare the date at least month in advance before the implementation date? Or as we all know (CIC to be notorious) they will declare the date on the day of implementation?

toronto_man

Star Member
Jan 11, 2014
All,

is it confirmed that May 1st may be a possible date for implementing the Bill? if so, where did u get the information from?

reason is that my wife is qualified to apply now (has a buffer of more than 3 months) but we just figured out that she has to do the english test where next slot is in May? is there a way to send the application now and send them the test results later? or a away to speed up the test results?

DND

Star Member
Oct 20, 2014
toronto_man said:
All,

is it confirmed that May 1st may be a possible date for implementing the Bill? if so, where did u get the information from?

reason is that my wife is qualified to apply now (has a buffer of more than 3 months) but we just figured out that she has to do the english test where next slot is in May? is there a way to send the application now and send them the test results later? or a away to speed up the test results?
Which test is she doing? In which city?

Consider doing another test type (there are couple tests which are accepted) or in a different location ...

toronto_man

Star Member
Jan 11, 2014
It is an English test required by citizenship - i checked all dates and won;t give us time to submit the application before May (Toronto location)

but is it confirmed the new bill will be effective May 1st? how did we get this information?

CanadianCountry

Jan 26, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-02-2010
Doc's Request.
16-03-2010
AOR Received.
24-07-2010
File Transfer...
24-03-2010
Med's Request
Yes
Med's Done....
Yes
Passport Req..
Yes
VISA ISSUED...
Yes
LANDED..........
Yes
May 1st is a speculation.

toronto_man said:
It is an English test required by citizenship - i checked all dates and won;t give us time to submit the application before May (Toronto location)

but is it confirmed the new bill will be effective May 1st? how did we get this information?

CanadianCountry

Jan 26, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-02-2010
Doc's Request.
16-03-2010
AOR Received.
24-07-2010
File Transfer...
24-03-2010
Med's Request
Yes
Med's Done....
Yes
Passport Req..
Yes
VISA ISSUED...
Yes
LANDED..........
Yes
According to gazette post, its being speculated that the earliest date of implementation can be April 29th, the date when the gazette will be published.

toronto_man said:
is it a speculation with high probability? I thought people were expecting June or July 1st? how probable is May 1st?

DND

Star Member
Oct 20, 2014
toronto_man said:

I checked just now, and there seems to be a date available for CELPIP general (also accepted by CIC for citizenship) on April 23rd. There is even earlier date if you are willing to travel to Windsor ...

Politren

Jan 16, 2015
Hello everyone,

the confusion and the speculations are coming from the call centre employees. I can confirm that they are saying different dates and they always say that these dates are confirmed.

How they can say different dates and all of them are confirmed?

Me personally received as information dates from different range from May 1st, June 1st, June 19, July 1st, July 19 and August 1st.

Finally last week I also managed to speak with a supervisor who told me that there is nothing confirmed and there is no information when the cut off date will be.
So I agree with the senior members of this forum that the call centre is not reliable source of information.
So maybe the date May 1st has been shared here from a person who called the call centre and again received wrong information.
The supervisor said that when they know officially the cut off date, it will be published on the CIC website.

Martin29

Star Member
Feb 24, 2015
gammabeta79 said:
Do you mean that those who qualify by April 15th (say exactly 1095 days) should wait to get enough buffer above 1095 days? What does it mean? New bill will not be implemented until May 01 or later? How long one should wait if he/she completes 1095 days on April 15th? A week, two weeks?

And what are the chances that CIC will declare the date at least month in advance before the implementation date? Or as we all know (CIC to be notorious) they will declare the date on the day of implementation?
You need 1096 days(on Application date).Under current situation if you are sure about your physical presence dates I would recommend applying immediately at 1096 or max 1097. Don't wait for buffer.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Effective date still UNKNOWN

May 1st is a possibility, but does not seem a likely one. This is just a guess.

July 1st still seems to be the oddsmakers' favourite. We really do not know.

My guess continues to be June 1st. Just one more guess among many.

August 1st is another possibility, probably a long shot. More guessing and betting.

And of course there are more than a few still betting on June 19th. No one in my office pool has picked up this bet as yet.

And of course one could bet on just about any other day between May 1st and . . . well, days in August are a very, very long shot, but I suppose even September 1st is, possibly, an outside bet someone might make.

What to do if on-the-cusp:

Some buffer is definitely the preferable choice, if there is time to add some days to the calculation.

We do not know for sure, but it seems that last minute shortfall applications have a very poor prognosis, whether the applicant is intentionally applying with a shortfall to beat the cutoff and avoid a longer wait (and accurately reporting all absences), or the applicant made an error in reporting absences which results in losing days and falling short of 1095 days APP (days actually physically present).

Applicants who have kept perfect records for themselves, not relying on passport stamps, CBSA travel history, or other sources, can be more confident about applying with minimal or virtually no buffer. Nonetheless, some buffer is probably a good idea, again if there is time.

For those on-the-cusp and planning to apply if the window remains open long enough: get prepared sooner rather than later. Do rough drafts of the application and the residency calculation. Be sure to get all necessary documentation in order, including proof of language and if necessary school records, and so on. Do the homework and be ready. Be meticulous. We have seen a number of people recently report returned applications because they failed to sign the residency calculation. Be conscientious, careful, and do it right, be complete . . . speaking of which:

Necessity for application to be complete:

An incomplete application is not considered "made" and thus will not beat the cutoff. Thus, if an application is returned to the applicant, the application will not be "made" until whatever was lacking is fixed and the application is resubmitted.

I am not certain that the application actually has to be received by CIC before the date the new provisions come into force, but that seems to be the consensus and I think that is indeed what is likely. Thus, mailings made a day or two before probably will not make it, and those applicants will have to meet the revised requirements.

Proof of language is now a mandatory part of the application, so if the proof of language is not sufficient, the application will be incomplete and will be returned to the applicant. That will not constitute a "made" application.

At this juncture, as the cut-off date is imminent, whatever date it turns out to be, incomplete applications are at high risk for not being sent back to the applicant in time for the applicant to get it resubmitted before the cutoff.

Consider waiting:

Hard pill to swallow for some, but rushed applications are always at higher risk for mistakes, omissions, or something else a little or a lot awry. My suspicion is that applications made in the last three months before the cutoff are likely to get at least a little more scrutiny, and perhaps subject to a somewhat stricter assessment.

For some, waiting another year probably looms with substantial if not major inconvenience, perhaps even resulting in lost career opportunities.

For anyone who already has a passport from a visa-exempt country, waiting probably is the more prudent course to follow.

For those who are in a rush because they have plans abroad:

CIC is geared up to root out and, if possible, to preclude grants of citizenship for applicants who, as has been said, apply-on-the-way-to-the-airport. Merely technically meeting the qualifications can make for a very tough case, and CIC is likely to make it as tough as it can. Expect little or no sympathy from the Federal Courts or the Canadian public.

na123

Star Member
Dec 28, 2014
Martin29 said:
You need 1096 days(on Application date).Under current situation if you are sure about your physical presence dates I would recommend applying immediately at 1096 or max 1097. Don't wait for buffer.
True. I will be applying with 1097 days by the end of May. I would have liked to get more buffer but it is way too risky right now. I don't want to wake up the next morning and see the CIC website that the law became effective.

gammabeta79

Mar 17, 2015
I completed my post graduate degree in Canada and will apply that as a language proof. I am wondering what I should attach from below:

1. I have sealed transcript from University but is old (from 2011). Definitely I graduated before 2011 and I did not attend any school after that.
2. I have sealed degree certificate from university but that is also sealed in 2011 (probably has date it was sealed)
3. I can photocopy the degree certificate and get it notarized and attach it.

I am wondering what should I attach. Please help

Destined

Star Member
Jul 6, 2010
Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Dependable, I appreciate your response. +1 from me for this details.
I will be eligible on mid May. I wish I can apply under old rules...
Regards

dpenabill said:
Effective date still UNKNOWN

May 1st is a possibility, but does not seem a likely one. This is just a guess.
July 1st still seems to be the oddsmakers' favourite. We really do not know.
My guess continues to be June 1st. Just one more guess among many.

August 1st is another possibility, probably a long shot. More guessing and betting.

And of course there are more than a few still betting on June 19th. No one in my office pool has picked up this bet as yet.

And of course one could bet on just about any other day between May 1st and . . . well, days in August are a very, very long shot, but I suppose even September 1st is, possibly, an outside bet someone might make.

What to do if on-the-cusp:

Some buffer is definitely the preferable choice, if there is time to add some days to the calculation.

We do not know for sure, but it seems that last minute shortfall applications have a very poor prognosis, whether the applicant is intentionally applying with a shortfall to beat the cutoff and avoid a longer wait (and accurately reporting all absences), or the applicant made an error in reporting absences which results in losing days and falling short of 1095 days APP (days actually physically present).

Applicants who have kept perfect records for themselves, not relying on passport stamps, CBSA travel history, or other sources, can be more confident about applying with minimal or virtually no buffer. Nonetheless, some buffer is probably a good idea, again if there is time.

For those on-the-cusp and planning to apply if the window remains open long enough: get prepared sooner rather than later. Do rough drafts of the application and the residency calculation. Be sure to get all necessary documentation in order, including proof of language and if necessary school records, and so on. Do the homework and be ready. Be meticulous. We have seen a number of people recently report returned applications because they failed to sign the residency calculation. Be conscientious, careful, and do it right, be complete . . . speaking of which:

Necessity for application to be complete:

An incomplete application is not considered "made" and thus will not beat the cutoff. Thus, if an application is returned to the applicant, the application will not be "made" until whatever was lacking is fixed and the application is resubmitted.

I am not certain that the application actually has to be received by CIC before the date the new provisions come into force, but that seems to be the consensus and I think that is indeed what is likely. Thus, mailings made a day or two before probably will not make it, and those applicants will have to meet the revised requirements.

Proof of language is now a mandatory part of the application, so if the proof of language is not sufficient, the application will be incomplete and will be returned to the applicant. That will not constitute a "made" application.

At this juncture, as the cut-off date is imminent, whatever date it turns out to be, incomplete applications are at high risk for not being sent back to the applicant in time for the applicant to get it resubmitted before the cutoff.

Consider waiting:

Hard pill to swallow for some, but rushed applications are always at higher risk for mistakes, omissions, or something else a little or a lot awry. My suspicion is that applications made in the last three months before the cutoff are likely to get at least a little more scrutiny, and perhaps subject to a somewhat stricter assessment.

For some, waiting another year probably looms with substantial if not major inconvenience, perhaps even resulting in lost career opportunities.

For anyone who already has a passport from a visa-exempt country, waiting probably is the more prudent course to follow.

For those who are in a rush because they have plans abroad:

CIC is geared up to root out and, if possible, to preclude grants of citizenship for applicants who, as has been said, apply-on-the-way-to-the-airport. Merely technically meeting the qualifications can make for a very tough case, and CIC is likely to make it as tough as it can. Expect little or no sympathy from the Federal Courts or the Canadian public.