+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Effective date of Bill C24

Nuwa

Feb 3, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, calling CIC is the best way to get these information confirmed.
The phone # is 1-888-242‑2100, and then press 4 and 0: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/contacts/call.asp

zwho said:
Everything on that page became law. And yes, some are in effect and some are not yet. And those are not are change of residence requirement and eliminating time spent before PR. So you can apply with old rule until June 19, 2015. You need to call CIC if you want to make yourself clear.

nadeem55

Aug 3, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-04-2011
Doc's Request.
15-04-2011
Nomination.....
????
AOR Received.
25-05-2011
IELTS Request
Sent with the initial application to CIO
File Transfer...
20-06-2011 to Buffalo
Med's Request
22-02-2013 from Ottawa
Med's Done....
27-02-2013
Interview........
Wavied :)
Passport Req..
05-04-2013 via Email
VISA ISSUED...
06 May, 2013
LANDED..........
11 May, 2013 Landed Immigrant :)
Well, I understand that the law eventually will be in effect from next year, I highly prayed it could after August, 2015, like me most of the applicants who spent time as foreign workers (2 years as worker = 1 years count), if the law would come in effect, then I've to wait for 2 more years to apply citizenship as I become PR in 2013 :(

Finger crossed!

Adam24

Aug 23, 2011
After reading many threads in this forum, general consensus is that once the bill becomes effective, it will impact all the permanent residents applying for citizenship. For example maintaining residency for 4 years before applying for citizenship.

Yet, I have had communications with few immigration lawyers that this bill will only affect those permanent residents that land on the day the bill becomes active. So example if someone landed last year, they will be able to apply for citizenship under old rules.

MUFC

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I also called CIC today, and the agent told me that it is expected the enforcement date to be in the second half next year...
It seems that they still give different answers.

When I asked the agent why they don't post the date officially... he told me that they can't do that , because the cut off date is not determinant yet. And once they know the cut off date they will make announcement.

So it seems that the agents who are saying any cut off date are just speculating based on their presumption that it might be enforced exactly after one year after Royal Ascent.

In general there is no cut off date yet.

Nuwa

Feb 3, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It makes sense that the new rules will be applied to those who became permanent residents after June 19, 2014, but they haven't mentioned anything yet. They should issue an statement very soon.

But, I think if the effective date is going to be June 19, 2015, then they won't give a chance to those who became permanent resident before June 19, 2014.

Adam24 said:
After reading many threads in this forum, general consensus is that once the bill becomes effective, it will impact all the permanent residents applying for citizenship. For example maintaining residency for 4 years before applying for citizenship.

Yet, I have had communications with few immigration lawyers that this bill will only affect those permanent residents that land on the day the bill becomes active. So example if someone landed last year, they will be able to apply for citizenship under old rules.

Nuwa

Feb 3, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I think it is more likely that the effective date will be June 19, 2015 since many agent assume that the new rules will be enforced after one year from Royal Ascent.

MUFC said:
I also called CIC today, and the agent told me that it is expected the enforcement date to be in the second half next year...
It seems that they still give different answers.

When I asked the agent why they don't post the date officially... he told me that they can't do that , because the cut off date is not determinant yet. And once they know the cut off date they will make announcement.

So it seems that the agents who are saying any cut off date are just speculating based on their presumption that it might be enforced exactly after one year after Royal Ascent.

In general there is no cut off date yet.

MUFC

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If the official statement was ...
These provisions will come into force after one year.
When there would be no doubt.
But

On 19 June this year the official statement says...
These provisions will come into force in approximately a year.
Approximately doesn't mean 19.June.2015.
It means around that date.
Earlier or later.

zwho

Jul 31, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Well, it's your choice how you interpret "approximately" but to me it sounds "nearly".
It could be little bit earlier or later than June 19, 2015 like +-1 month.
But what we know so far, as many asked cic agents through the phone, is around that time. And as I mentioned before considering previous amendment of the law back in 2009 it will be very likely June 19, 2015.

On 19 June this year the official statement says...
These provisions will come into force in approximately a year.
Approximately doesn't mean 19.June.2015.
It means around that date.
Earlier or later.

MUFC

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am sure that when the previous amendments have occurred, the official statement was absolutely clear as of when the cut off date will be, Moreover here we are talking about total overhaul of the law...

So we can't compare the situations... here is more complex. Here we are talking about big changes which haven't been done in generation time.

zwho

Jul 31, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
MUFC, when will you be eligible to apply for citizenship?

I am sure that when the previous amendments have occurred, the official statement was absolutely clear as of when the cut off date will be, Moreover here we are talking about total overhaul of the law...

So we can't compare the situations... here is more complex. Here we are talking about big changes which haven't been done in generation time.

MUFC

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
@ The end of June, but I don't have a problem to wait one more year... all I want is a clear official statement as of when the cut off date will be.
I want to set up my traveling for the next year... and if there is a clear cut off date I will know when to buy tickets.

So because of my situation it is obvious why a have had so many inquiries to CIC , immigration lowers and so on... and still only speculations and nothing official.

tiarachel85

Champion Member
Jun 27, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
One of the forum member mentioned that the Minister himself told him/her that it will come in effect next summer.

Now next summer starts on June 21 2015 which is sunday and June 19 2015 is friday. So probably June 19 will be the last day for the old rule.

Nuwa

Feb 3, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks for sharing this!

tiarachel85 said:
One of the forum member mentioned that the Minister himself told him/her that it will come in effect next summer.

Now next summer starts on June 21 2015 which is sunday and June 19 2015 is friday. So probably June 19 will be the last day for the old rule.

MUFC

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Don't forget that this year the same Minister said that he is expecting the Bill to become a law by the end of this year... the end result is that suddenly they were rushing so hard to become a law six months earlier.

I hope that they can implement it as soon as possible because the applications will be processed faster for everybody.

Anyways nobody knows the exact cut off date.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Nuwa said:
It makes sense that the new rules will be applied to those who became permanent residents after June 19, 2014, but they haven't mentioned anything yet. They should issue an statement very soon.

But, I think if the effective date is going to be June 19, 2015, then they won't give a chance to those who became permanent resident before June 19, 2014.
Those who apply for citizenship after the effective date will be subject to the new rules, regardless of when they became a PR. CIC is going to have to update manuals, computer systems, websites, internal guidelines etc., not to mention retrain staff on the new rules. All of this will be a lengthy process and will cost significantly. They are not going to maintain two completely different sets of processing rules.