+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

EE Application - Common Law Partnership Question

binolu94

Feb 4, 2015
I'm creating my profile for the EE system and I'm wondering how the Common Law Partnership aspect will affect my application. I'm currently in a common-law partnership with a non-Canadian citizen. How does it work if I get an Invitation to Apply? Does my common-law partner need to provide all of their documents as well? Also, will they ultimately become a Permanent Resident under my application if everything goes through?

Thanks!

DaleJ

Dec 17, 2014
You need to cite them as common law spouse and include them in the application. You may be asked for proof of your relationship if you get an ITA e.g. Statutory Declaration of Common Law Union, joint bank account statements, lease agreements etc. Yes the person will come to Canada with you when you get through with the system as a PR like you.

DaleJ

Dec 17, 2014
If you sent in IELTS results or WES for the individual then you will need to prove those as you would for yourself. Other than that, general stuff like Birth Certificate etc will be needed.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
binolu94 said:
How does it work if I get an Invitation to Apply? Does my common-law partner need to provide all of their documents as well? Also, will they ultimately become a Permanent Resident under my application if everything goes through?
Yes, and yes.

Dimitris

Star Member
Jan 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-01-2016
Doc's Request.
10-10-2016
Nomination.....
Pending
AOR Received.
12-07-2016
What about if my common law have biger score point at the express entry than me?should we do both the application or you think is better just the one with the bigger score?

doubleym

Jan 6, 2015
Dimitris said:
What about if my common law have biger score point at the express entry than me?should we do both the application or you think is better just the one with the bigger score?
Just have one profile with the biggest score, so either you or your spouse as the principal applicant.

astro313

Star Member
Oct 10, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Let's get some more answers here. I am also interested on the topic.
Me and my fiancee have been together for more than 7 years and lived together the last 2. But, we do not have any shared thing together. I mean house is in my name , car is in my name. We have different bank accounts, none of them is joint. We have thought of opening a joint account but we didn't have time. We have a lot of photos , vacations which we can prove that we have been together. We really love each other but we do not want to get married 8) .

1- Is money and property the only thing that verifies our common-law relationship ?
2- After getting ITA, can I add as a proof of funds her bank account statements ? (In EOI I will be the primary applicant and she as my common-law partner the secondary applicant)

Junebaby

Dec 27, 2014
astro313 said:
Let's get some more answers here. I am also interested on the topic.
Me and my fiancee have been together for more than 7 years and lived together the last 2. But, we do not have any shared thing together. I mean house is in my name , car is in my name. We have different bank accounts, none of them is joint. We have thought of opening a joint account but we didn't have time. We have a lot of photos , vacations which we can prove that we have been together. We really love each other but we do not want to get married 8) .

1- Is money and property the only thing that verifies our common-law relationship ?
2- After getting ITA, can I add as a proof of funds her bank account statements ? (In EOI I will be the primary applicant and she as my common-law partner the secondary applicant
This is a bit like my situation, no joint accounts or any shared correspondence (except me and my partner have children together). What we did is complete the Statutory Declaration of Common Law Union and then got it notarised. We have then collected as proof, any individual documents that show we have the same address - over a number of years; bank statements, voters polling cards, drivers licence, payslips. We also added our kids birth certificates!

zosya

Dec 9, 2014
I also have a question regarding my partner. Do I need to provide CIC with job references from his job as well as from mine if I get ITA?

Dimitris

Star Member
Jan 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-01-2016
Doc's Request.
10-10-2016
Nomination.....
Pending
AOR Received.
12-07-2016
My wife was working to my company can i give her references to apply for the EE or not because we are couple? thnx.

Userapply

Sep 9, 2018
Hi all, my partner and I most recently applied for the express entry via an agency. We received the ITA 2 days ago only to realize the agency had put us as "married" and not as common law partners although we had clearly stated we are not married and provided them proof of our common law application. They are telling us now that their mistake is inconsequential because it won't impact our score (which it doesn't) and that when they submit the documents that can select "common law partnership" status and provide our documents accordingly but we don't trust them. I am very upset because it's a very stupid mistake on their part and don't know what we should be doing? Any advice?