+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

EE and holding current Visitor Visa?

Canadream2017

Star Member
Mar 26, 2017
Can you apply for Express Entry if you're currently holding a recent valid (never used) visitor visa (TRV)?

I hold a valid TRV which I applied for recently (less than 2 months ago), and it's still valid until the end of next year. I never used it; I was supposed to visit family there but travel plan was cancelled.

Should I wait until my TR visa expires to apply for EE?
any advice?

crescent_jam

Aug 21, 2017
Jamaica
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Kingston, Jamaica
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
14-09-2017
Passport Req..
17-10-2017
VISA ISSUED...
26-10-2017
LANDED..........
19-01-2018
Can you apply for Express Entry if you're currently holding a recent valid (never used) visitor visa (TRV)?

I hold a valid TRV which I applied for recently (less than 2 months ago), and it's still valid until the end of next year. I never used it; I was supposed to visit family there but travel plan was cancelled.

any advice?
Hi Canadadream2017,
To the best of my knowledge (but I'm no expert), you should be able to apply for EE while you hold a traveler's visa. I have a visitor's visa (temporary resident) and am still applying, and I'm fairly certain I know of others who did so as well.

Many people tend to keep (continuously renewing) valid US and Canadian visitor's visas whether or not they're actually using them, so not allowing persons to apply for it while they have another active visa would barr a lot of persons. In fact, my visitor's visa is valid for 10 years, as are many others', so having to wait until the visa expires would REALLY present a hardship for a lot of persons.

Also express entry applies to several streams including persons currently in Canada on other types of visas (work visas for example) as well, so I can't imagine a visitor's visa is any different.

My understanding though is that, if you were granted permanent residency, the visitor visa would become invalid (of course, you'd no longer need it, so it doesn't matter) :)

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014

any advice?
No issue. You can apply for EE right away.