+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Education and Job

enigmatic99

Star Member
Jun 27, 2016
Hey guys,

I was wondering how important it is to have education and work experience in the same field? I worked as a laboratory technician while my field of education was different (but related to health science).

I am in dilemma as per IRCC website's:
Employment requirements for Laboratory technician is :
  • Medical laboratory technicians/assistants require completion of a college certificate program in medical laboratory science.
Any thoughts from seniors/experts will be appreciated.

cansha

VIP Member
Aug 1, 2018
Hey guys,

I was wondering how important it is to have education and work experience in the same field? I worked as a laboratory technician while my field of education was different (but related to health science).

• Medical laboratory technicians/assistants require completion of a college certificate program in medical laboratory science.
Not necessary, unless profession demands it. You can be a software developer with an Arts degree but can't say you were a doctor with a commerce degree.

enigmatic99

Star Member
Jun 27, 2016
Not necessary, unless profession demands it. You can be a software developer with an Arts degree but can't say you were a doctor with a commerce degree.
My field of study was public health, I did a couple of courses during my undergrad those were related to microbiology, immunology, and pathology. I did exceptionally well in the lab and theory associated with those courses so my instructor asked me if I can join his private laboratory to work as a Lab Technician, and I happily agreed to join.

Although I did some of the courses (subjects) but my academic degree is not exactly a Medical laboratory.

cansha

VIP Member
Aug 1, 2018
My field of study was public health, I did a couple of courses during my undergrad those were related to microbiology, immunology, and pathology. I did exceptionally well in the lab and theory associated with those courses so my instructor asked me if I can join his private laboratory to work as a Lab Technician, and I happily agreed to join.

Although I did some of the courses (subjects) but my academic degree is not exactly a Medical laboratory.
I think you're fine.

pizzaboy99

Apr 3, 2018
Hey guys,

For EE, everything on the NOC page except lead statement & main duties are to be ignored.

Note: The applicant does not need to demonstrate that they meet the “employment requirements” listed in the NOC occupational description.

Source: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/economic-classes/federal-skilled-workers/assessing-applications-against-minimum-requirements.html

Sabeen99

Jun 14, 2018
For EE, everything on the NOC page except lead statement & main duties are to be ignored.

Note: The applicant does not need to demonstrate that they meet the “employment requirements” listed in the NOC occupational description.

Source: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/economic-classes/federal-skilled-workers/assessing-applications-against-minimum-requirements.html

I think you're fine.
I am also in similar situation, so that mean we are good to go , right ?