+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Duration of waiting after my application has passed to the Hong Kong Visa Office

Sarah Ng

May 15, 2018
Dear all,

My husband (applicant) and I (sponsor) are living in Hong Kong now.

Could you please advise how long it does to hear from the Hong Kong Visa Office and what’s the next steps? Please see my below timeline:

21 April: Our application has passed to Hong Kong Visa Office
26 April: Approval on being a sponsor

Some additional information:

• Medical exam is passed
      • Police Certificate has been done on 12 April, and Hong Kong Police Force insisted to send the results to CIC directly (the letter from CIC saying we have to attach it online), so we have given the address in Canada to Hong Kong Police Force since we didn’t know that our application would pass to the Hong Kong Visa Office.
    • Through IRCC, we informed CIC about the situation of our Police Certificate
  • On 25 April, CIC replied that they have received the receipt of Hong Kong Police Force (proof of handling the Police Certificate), and they will pass it to the responsible office

Appreciate your advices. Thank you.

Wakki

Champion Member
Sep 18, 2017
Dear all,

My husband (applicant) and I (sponsor) are living in Hong Kong now.

Could you please advise how long it does to hear from the Hong Kong Visa Office and what’s the next steps? Please see my below timeline:

21 April: Our application has passed to Hong Kong Visa Office
26 April: Approval on being a sponsor

Some additional information:

• Medical exam is passed
      • Police Certificate has been done on 12 April, and Hong Kong Police Force insisted to send the results to CIC directly (the letter from CIC saying we have to attach it online), so we have given the address in Canada to Hong Kong Police Force since we didn’t know that our application would pass to the Hong Kong Visa Office.
    • Through IRCC, we informed CIC about the situation of our Police Certificate
  • On 25 April, CIC replied that they have received the receipt of Hong Kong Police Force (proof of handling the Police Certificate), and they will pass it to the responsible office

Appreciate your advices. Thank you.
IRCC promised to complete most straight forward cases within 12 months....may take less time but better to relax and know its a wait game.
  1. Application received at IRCC Mississauga
  2. CIC Mississauga started processing application
  3. Received Acknowledgement of Receipt (AOR 1)
  4. Linked Application to Online Account
  5. Uploaded Schedule A form
  6. Sponsor Approval and File transfer to VO
  7. VO starts processing PR application (AOR 2)
  8. Received Request for Medical Exam
  9. Medical Exam @ IRCC Panel Physician Clinic
  10. Medical Exam Result
  11. Passport Request (PPR)
  12. Pick-up Permanent Residency Visa (PUM)

Last edited:

Sarah Ng

May 15, 2018
Thanks for the above sharing.
The sequence of our process is a bit different from the above. After the Medical Exam is passed, we have received sponsor approval and file transfer to HK Visa Office.
Questions:
1) We are a bit worried about the Police Certificate as it should have sent to Canada (instead of Hong Kong), would it be a problem?
2) Having an interview is a must? (I am almost 10 years older than my husband, we have been being together for around 2 years then we get married. We just get married in Jan 2018. I divorced once before without any children. We both don't have any children now. Proof of showing we have been living together is provided - joint name water bill, bank statement of showing the same address, etc.)
3) When shall my husband apply for an open work permit as he plans to work there after the application is approved
4) After application is approved, how much time IRCC would give us to go there? Let say within 6 months or 1 year?
Thank you.

Wakki

Champion Member
Sep 18, 2017
Thanks for the above sharing.
The sequence of our process is a bit different from the above. After the Medical Exam is passed, we have received sponsor approval and file transfer to HK Visa Office.
Questions:
1) We are a bit worried about the Police Certificate as it should have sent to Canada (instead of Hong Kong), would it be a problem?
2) Having an interview is a must? (I am almost 10 years older than my husband, we have been being together for around 2 years then we get married. We just get married in Jan 2018. I divorced once before without any children. We both don't have any children now. Proof of showing we have been living together is provided - joint name water bill, bank statement of showing the same address, etc.)
3) When shall my husband apply for an open work permit as he plans to work there after the application is approved
4) After application is approved, how much time IRCC would give us to go there? Let say within 6 months or 1 year?
Thank you.
1. IRCC likely sent the PCC to Hong Kong because your file has been transferred to Hong Kong for processing.....don't worry about it..

2. Interviews are scheduled at the discretion of the officer reviewing your file......so not every case requires an interview......if you do need an interview IRCC will inform you.

3. If your sponsorship application is Outland, your husband can't apply for Open Work Permit......after landing as PR in Canada, he will have the right to work and does not need to apply for Work Permit......Inland sponsorship can apply for Open Work Permit.

4. The PR visa expiration date is usually the earliest of your Medical Exam date anniversary (i.e., one year from medical exam date) or your travel passport expiration date.

Sarah Ng

May 15, 2018
Hi Wakki,

Thanks for the above advices.

1) As per our background mentioned above, do you think it's a bit difficult for IRCC to grant approval on our application? (i.e. I am almost 10 years older than my husband, we have been being together for around 2 years then we get married. We just get married in Jan 2018 in Canada. I divorced once before without any children, and it's his first marriage. We both don't have any children now. Proof of showing we have been living together is provided - joint name water bill, bank statement of showing the same address, etc.).
2) In case I am pregnant before the application is approved, what we need to do? Do I have to apply another sponsorship application for my child?

Wakki

Champion Member
Sep 18, 2017
Hi Wakki,

Thanks for the above advices.

1) As per our background mentioned above, do you think it's a bit difficult for IRCC to grant approval on our application? (i.e. I am almost 10 years older than my husband, we have been being together for around 2 years then we get married. We just get married in Jan 2018 in Canada. I divorced once before without any children, and it's his first marriage. We both don't have any children now. Proof of showing we have been living together is provided - joint name water bill, bank statement of showing the same address, etc.).
2) In case I am pregnant before the application is approved, what we need to do? Do I have to apply another sponsorship application for my child?
1. You are 10 years older than your husband which in some cultures or societies is a bit uncommon and will be scrutinized but its not a barrier..........your sponsorship application will mostly be approved based on the genuineness and strong proof of your relationship........review relationship support documents in the Sponsorship Checklist section....SUPPORTING DOCUMENTS FOR SPONSORED PERSONS......7. PROOF OF RELATIONSHIP TO SPONSOR.........it will be approved if the marriage and supporting documents submitted are convincing your marriage is genuine..........relax.

Sponsorship Checklist...

2. If you become pregnant when the application is still been processed and before is approved.
------ Although not mandatory, you may update IMM5532E PART C...Q. #10.......and send through IRCC Webform to Hong Kong VO.

If you have a new born baby before application is approved, how you add the newborn to your application depends......refer.....
HOW TO ADD A NEW BORN TO SPOUSAL SPONSORSHIP APPLICATION FOR PERMANENT RESIDENCY

Last edited:

Sarah Ng

May 15, 2018
Hi Wakki,

Thanks for your prompt reply.
Regarding the PR Visa expiration date, any chance to apply deferral? If yes, what sort of reason(s) have a bigger chance to obtain approval? Thanks

Wakki

Champion Member
Sep 18, 2017
Hi Wakki,

Thanks for your prompt reply.
Regarding the PR Visa expiration date, any chance to apply deferral? If yes, what sort of reason(s) have a bigger chance to obtain approval? Thanks
The PR visa (COPR) once issued the expiration date cannot be extended.......if you do not land in Canada as PR before the expiration date.......you will have to re-apply for PR i.e., submit new application.

kb_kb

Jul 13, 2018
Hi Sarah,

Do you mind share your current status and timeline? Have you received any update from HK visa office?

We found our case is similar to yours, so hoping to know how's your application going. Grateful if we could have your response. Many thanks!!

Application received by CIC on May 16.
Police Certificate done in late June
Medical exam done on Jul 5
Sponsor Approval on Jul 5
Medical exam pass on Jul 10
File transferred to HK Visa Office on Jul 11

Sarah Ng

May 15, 2018
Hello,

After we received the approval on being a sponsor and file transferred to HK Visa office in April, we still have not heard from the HK Visa Office and it's almost 3 months.... >_<....

kb_kb

Jul 13, 2018
Hi Sarah, sincerely thank you for your prompt response to my message!!

Oh...the wait time isn't easy....Just a thought - did you ever try to ask them via the IRCC Web Form to follow up your application status?

Sarah Ng

May 15, 2018
I didn't. If you go to the IRCC website, they will tell you if it's within their application timeframe (1 year), you don't have to ask them about the progress. Thanks.

tarhel2013

Star Member
Dec 2, 2017
Hello guys,
sorry it is off topic but i submitted my Permanent Residency application (FSW program) and my file is in Hong Kong.

Do you please have a Group that discusses processing time at Honk Kong visa? Or, can you add me/ send me link to join some related discussions?

Thanks!