Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
Rawat anil said:
Mr Qorax, i have received my visa already and planning to land in jan 2013, i'm confused about should i land first and arrange for permanent accomodation and other household items ( as i dont have any friend and relative in canada) then call my family later (wife and 4 year old son). or we should land all together.
my consultant said we have to land together and if my wife land later she will also have to carry POF at the time of landing. is it true. or only PA have to show POF.
Not True.
Ur consultant is talking nonsense, or u might have understood him/her wrong. The requirement of demonstrating the 'settlement funds' is ONLY for the PA, and while landing for the 1st time in Canada. Subsequent entries by him/her or any of his family members, whether accompanied by him/her or alone, do not have that requirement.

If one doesn't have anyone here it's wise to 'land' alone for the first time... settle down, fetch a job, organize a yrly rental, buy the car, network a bit AND then fetch the other members of the family. That said, many enter Canada with their families as well... and go on to do well. It's not a benchmark, especially if funds r not a/ny issue.

sridev said:
Anil. even i am in same situation as you, but haven't got visa yet. i submitted my passports on 14th nov. i am in UK at the moment. i am planning in jan 1st week if i get visa next week. but i will be back to uk and my wife and 5 months son will be back to India ASAP. may be i will plan to stay couple of days. Even i do not have any relatives or family friends.
Qorax please suggest us.
1. Can we stay couple of days in Canada and then back to home country ?
2. How much amount do i need to carry ?
3. Do i need to show bank statement again as POF or the liquid cash ?

Thanks in advance
1. Yes, many do so. Pls read above.
2. IMHO, one should carry more (nearly double) than what the CIC table (funds by pax) suggests. In any case the minimum one must carry is in that table.
3. Monthly statements of international banks is sometimes accepted, but it's not the norm. The ideal way to bring ur funds is in "the 80:20 rule":
-80% in Draft/s;
-20% in Cash.

Qorax

HANY2012

Star Member
Jan 24, 2012
Dear Qorex,

i reicved my medical along with PC ,RPRF and they request three form (new application form ,addtional familyinfromation,background form)

my question is why they request those form ?since they do not ask every one about them?

thanks

hany

agshaheryar

May 24, 2012
Faisalabad
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-07-2009
Doc's Request.
03-09-2009
AOR Received.
24-12-2009
IELTS Request
Sent with Full Docs
File Transfer...
30-06-2010
Med's Request
16-03-2012
Med's Done....
26-04-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
PPR1 01-11-2012 & PPR2 16-11-2012
VISA ISSUED...
04-12-2012
LANDED..........
April 02, 2013
qorax said:
Not True.
Ur consultant is talking nonsense, or u might have understood him/her wrong. The requirement of demonstrating the 'settlement funds' is ONLY for the PA, and while landing for the 1st time in Canada. Subsequent entries by him/her or any of his family members, whether accompanied by him/her or alone, do not have that requirement.

If one doesn't have anyone here it's wise to 'land' alone for the first time... settle down, fetch a job, organize a yrly rental, buy the car, network a bit AND then fetch the other members of the family. That said, many enter Canada with their families as well... and go on to do well. It's not a benchmark, especially if funds r not a/ny issue.

1. Yes, many do so. Pls read above.
2. IMHO, one should carry more (nearly double) than what the CIC table (funds by pax) suggests. In any case the minimum one must carry is in that table.
3. Monthly statements of international banks is sometimes accepted, but it's not the norm. The ideal way to bring ur funds is in "the 80:20 rule":
-80% in Draft/s;
-20% in Cash.

Qorax
One more thing, stay for a couple of days is full of risks. You should try to stay there until you receive your PR card. You would not be able to re enter canada without that PR card. Your entry on Copr is valid before visa expiry and that's also valid for ist time landing. After that it becomes void.

Thommo

Nov 20, 2010
Edmonton, Canada
agshaheryar said:
One more thing, stay for a couple of days is full of risks. You should try to stay there until you receive your PR card. You would not be able to re enter canada without that PR card. Your entry on Copr is valid before visa expiry and that's also valid for ist time landing. After that it becomes void.
What risk? BTW, isn't life full of risks!
One can re-enter Canada by getting a travel document from CHC. Or one can ask a friend/relative to carry/courier PR card to you. One needs to weigh pros and cons before deciding the duration of one's stay in Canada at the time of 'landing'. If you want to to leave Canada only after getting your PR card, then plan to stay there for at least a couple of months.

er2d2g

Star Member
Feb 12, 2012
Burlington,ON Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-05-2007
Med's Request
06-12-2011
Med's Done....
28-12-2011
Interview........
No
Passport Req..
31-01-2012
VISA ISSUED...
11-02-2012
LANDED..........
21-06-2012
Thommo said:
What risk? BTW, isn't life full of risks!
One can re-enter Canada by getting a travel document from CHC. Or one can ask a friend/relative to carry/courier PR card to you. One needs to weigh pros and cons before deciding the duration of one's stay in Canada at the time of 'landing'. If you want to to leave Canada only after getting your PR card, then plan to stay there for at least a couple of months.
I'd like to add on to Thommo's comment.
A suggestion would be to do what we did - stay for a month in Canada so that you can get to know the place use public transport (use the TTC extensively), open bank accounts get ur credit cards (cards come by post usually 7 - 10 days) etc. basically we did this to get a rough idea of the cost of living there. We (my wife) cooked atleast 2 meals a day, we bought weekly provisions from an Asian grocery and daily provisions from supermarkets etc. (one of the most convenient was Shoppers Drug Mart)
We also used the time to apply for a drivers license which takes time the first time around as written test is immediate but the road test date can vary from 10 - 20 days depending on the driving test center ( Also u will probably need to unlearn some things u r used to when u drive in Dubai for eg. at a stop sign u have to stop even if there is no car visible for as far as the eye can see or th right turn at signals even when its red etc.)
If you have the luxury of staying do so by all means but please keep in mind if you are doing this for the PR crds they take 2 months from the date of landing to reach the post box so you will run up quite an amount for the days spent waiting for the cards.
There are a lot of helpful people on the forum who could bring the cards back for you if you dont have friends or family who are coming to Dubai from Canada or your last option would be to get a temp visa to re-enter
The above is just my personal advice as we were keen to understand the cost of living in Canada for a month
You can always come back in 2 weeks if you just want to sort out the SIN cards and bank accounts and just a G1 drivers license

Hope this helps

Let me know if you need more help

er2d2g

Canada_4Ever

Star Member
Oct 24, 2012
Sharjah,United Arab Emirates
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-04-2010
Doc's Request.
05-09-2010
AOR Received.
23-07-2010
IELTS Request
Sent with File
File Transfer...
28-07-2010
Med's Request
22-11-2012
Med's Done....
26-11-2012
Interview........
waived-Alhumdulillah
Passport Req..
19-12-2012 Alhumdulillah PP sent on 25th Dec.
VISA ISSUED...
Jan 2013
LANDED..........
Inshallah soon when Allah willing.....
HANY2012 said:
Dear Qorex,

i reicved my medical along with PC ,RPRF and they request three form (new application form ,addtional familyinfromation,background form)

my question is why they request those form ?since they do not ask every one about them?

thanks

hany
Dear Hay,

Congrat on your Medical !

As you said you have received few forms and why other are not getting those ? so let me tell you its not true ! each case is different but if you have applied about two years ago so you would notice in new form specially background check form there are some changes ! so don't worry do it as per instruction of VO.

Secondly VO wants to update your file if there is new addition to your family, new job or address change !

Bro I have also sent few months back B/C form and Travel history with RPRF.

So cheers and all the best to you and all of us too !!! :D

HANY2012

Star Member
Jan 24, 2012
Canada_4Ever said:
Dear Hay,

Congrat on your Medical !

As you said you have received few forms and why other are not getting those ? so let me tell you its not true ! each case is different but if you have applied about two years ago so you would notice in new form specially background check form there are some changes ! so don't worry do it as per instruction of VO.

Secondly VO wants to update your file if there is new addition to your family, new job or address change !

Bro I have also sent few months back B/C form and Travel history with RPRF.

So cheers and all the best to you and all of us too !!! :D
Dear Canda,
thank you for your reply but i applied at 15 jun 2011 and they asked me new application along with back ground form and addtional family infromation.i just need to understand the reson behined this issue and even the form requested is deffernt from person to person

hany

shahzad395

Jan 29, 2012
Muscat Oman
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-09-2011
Doc's Request.
17-08-2012 & 2-10-2012
IELTS Request
sent along with application
File Transfer...
23-01-2012
Med's Request
03-01-2013
Med's Done....
05-01-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
22-7-2013, DM on Ecas 23-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
20-08-2013, received on 04-09-2013
LANDED..........
26th Sept. 2013
HANY2012 said:
Dear Canda,
thank you for your reply but i applied at 15 jun 2011 and they asked me new application along with back ground form and addtional family infromation.i just need to understand the reson behined this issue and even the form requested is deffernt from person to person

hany
Hi Hany,
Nothing asked by VO without any reason, please take this request seriously and try to find loop holes in your previous filled form, especially put extra concentration on Q8 of schedule A form, u should not leave single week gap in it.
Good Luck :)

sridev

Star Member
Sep 27, 2011
UK
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30 Sep 2011
Many thanks qorax, agshaheryar, Thommo & er2d2g for your valuable suggestions.I have to re-schedule my trip.

s.yazde

Aug 9, 2012
Dear all,
I have few questions about "Tax" for newcomers, immigrants, as we have received our PR Visa and we need to travel for first time do you have any information on:
1- Is all amount we bring with ourselves at first landing exempted from tax?? no limit? 20k $ or 200k $?
2- when we should declare our assets worldwide (for example properties here or other countries)? should we at all?
3- Is Canada going to get tax out of what we have at this moment? (like land, apartments, shops) or only if there is an income out of that we need to declare?
4- what will happen to our loans (property/ car / personal/ etc)? I mean from tax point of view . (for example if I bought a flat here with loan and i should pay installments for next 10 years.)

Thanks in advance.
S.Yazde

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
s.yazde said:
Dear all,
I have few questions about "Tax" for newcomers, immigrants, as we have received our PR Visa and we need to travel for first time do you have any information on:
1- Is all amount we bring with ourselves at first landing exempted from tax?? no limit? 20k $ or 200k $?
2- when we should declare our assets worldwide (for example properties here or other countries)? should we at all?
3- Is Canada going to get tax out of what we have at this moment? (like land, apartments, shops) or only if there is an income out of that we need to declare?
4- what will happen to our loans (property/ car / personal/ etc)? I mean from tax point of view . (for example if I bought a flat here with loan and i should pay installments for next 10 years.)

Thanks in advance.
S.Yazde
1. Yes. and not just the 1st time... it's tax free ever whenever u bring-in monies here.
2. There's no way/form/site/format to 'declare' ur fixed assets. Canada doesn't care about what u have overseas.
3. It's 'only' on the "income" component that u could be taxed.
4. A non-issue, pls read the above replies.

Qorax

bestpal

Aug 5, 2010
Dubai
Category........
Visa Office......
London, UK
NOC Code......
0111 Financial Controller
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-11-2009
Doc's Request.
14-01-2010
AOR Received.
2nd on 25-06-2010
IELTS Request
8 Bands
File Transfer...
20-01-2010
Med's Request
06-03-2012
Med's Done....
20-04-2012
Interview........
Not Required
Passport Req..
30-10-2012
VISA ISSUED...
PPs sent 05-11-2012! Visas stamped 15-11-2012 recd PPs back on 01-Dec-2012
LANDED..........
20 January 2013;,as God willed! Thank God for mercies!
Hi friends,

By the grace of Almighty, excited to share the fantastic news that yesterday (1st Dec) we recd our PPs back from London VO, exactly after 26 days on a Saturday from ARAMEX (the only difference being that I chose to personally go n collect instead of them delivering on Monday, as today is the UAE National Day holiday, here)! ARAMEX charged only 30 Dirhams for the shipment! :)

Also, glad to inform that we will be visiting YYZ on Jan 17-25 for the landing formalities! 8)

THANKS very much to Captain Qorax Sahib for his valuable guidance and all friends for your good wishes n prayers!

Sincerely pray that God fulfills your wishes and soon makes your dreams come true! :-*

Cheers!

Best Wishes!
Bestpal

shirin77

Apr 12, 2012
Abu Dhabi/UAE
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
December 2009
Med's Done....
12-oct-2012
Passport Req..
september 2013
HANY2012 said:
Dear Qorex,

thanks

hany
Asked me same docs

meanne

Mar 22, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
LONDON
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-03-2010
Doc's Request.
09-06-2010
AOR Received.
10-08-2010
File Transfer...
15-06-2010
Med's Request
11-10-2012
Med's Done....
31-10-2012
Interview........
00-00-0000
Passport Req..
22-03-2013
VISA ISSUED...
04-04-2013
LANDED..........
July 2013
bestpal said:
Hi friends,

By the grace of Almighty, excited to share the fantastic news that yesterday (1st Dec) we recd our PPs back from London VO, exactly after 26 days on a Saturday from ARAMEX (the only difference being that I chose to personally go n collect instead of them delivering on Monday, as today is the UAE National Day holiday, here)! ARAMEX charged only 30 Dirhams for the shipment! :)

Also, glad to inform that we will be visiting YYZ on Jan 17-25 for the landing formalities! 8)

THANKS very much to Captain Qorax Sahib for his valuable guidance and all friends for your good wishes n prayers!

Sincerely pray that God fulfills your wishes and soon makes your dreams come true! :-*

Cheers!

Best Wishes!
Bestpal
Congrats!

SusanGeorge

Dec 2, 2012
What are the common mistakes newcomers commit and how can they be avoided?

1. Coming to a new country expecting to start from where you let off at your home country or even higher using that experience. This can be avoided by setting realistic expectations, market study and networking with industry professionals before coming here.

2. Creating ethnic silos.- If we are to move around in broods, the best place is our our country. It is important to embrace the new culture, however challenging that might seem. Celebrate local festivals, learn the language and keep your beliefs to your home and heart (hearth?). This is often tough when one is from a country steeped in history a defined religious culture. Also, this does not mean giving up ones own cultural roots or faith. It just means respect and embrace what your new country offers you.

3. Expecting their credentials from the home country to be valued- This is a tricky one, and is easily answered by asking oneself the question ' Would I value something I know nothing about, over something that I have tried and tested for years?' The answer is no. No employer has it as his mission to discount your credentials. He just doesn't understand what value it could bring to the table ! Help him by getting your credentials assessed by a local body or prove your mettle by undertaking local qualifying exams.

4. Coming unprepared and taking up un-related survival jobs too soon- This could be the toughest. But do come prepared and choose your first job with care. Working in a call center for six months and hoping to use that as experience to qualify for a university instructor isn't a good idea. Do try to volunteer or take on jobs even if it is at a lower level in your chosen space of work. You will gain precious 'relevant experience'

5. Expecting others to do your job- This is very common.. NO agency, friend , connection or 'relative' you may have in your chosen country can do your work for you. Go out there, roll up your sleeves and ensure you do your share of the work. You will find others a lot more supportive then. Self help is the best help. Avoid asking people to get you a job or provide you advice UNLESS you have done enough research on your own and can prove it. No- one owes you anything. It is tough, but with focus and determination it all falls in place sooner than later.

6. Not utilize available support- This is an expensive mistake. Do your research and you will find a lot of support offered by government funded organizations at little or no cost. Do remember they will work with you and not for you. It also pays to know services offered to new comers and within what time frame.

7.Getting into a negative pattern -This is a trap and one that's easy to fall into , it is important to find time with the family and find time to pursue simple pleasures. It could just be walk in the neighborhood or sipping coffee listening to bird song. It is therapeutic and one would need the positivity to meet the challenges of relocation. People need to see you as positive and energetic to want to associate with you personally or professionally.

8. Losing focus and applying for various jobs- This can be confusing.Being focused yet being aware of transferable skills that can work in related disciplines is important.

9.Being overly suspicious or trusting- It pays to let relationships grow and take root over some time. Always helps being observant and being a good listener. Rash decisions and misplaced trust can be difficult to reverse

10. Thinking too much about the past or the future- Yes, it is tough to sever the good times gone by.. but do remember you came here in the hope for something better. Let go. Similarly,Rome wasn't built in a day and tomorrow never comes. Missing the past and worrying about the future, takes away from the present.