+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Dual Intent can be rejected student visa?

somel

Nov 13, 2014
I had submitted my profile for SINP OID in 2018 and also had created express entry profile in cic website. Since my score is low to get PNP's ITA so I am deciding to apply for student visa after getting admission for PGD program for 2022 sept session. But I am little bit confused that because of existing profile in cic for express entry and sinp OID, can I be rejected for student visa?

Please give me some advice on this matter.

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
I had submitted my profile for SINP OID in 2018 and also had created express entry profile in cic website. Since my score is low to get PNP's ITA so I am deciding to apply for student visa after getting admission for PGD program for 2022 sept session. But I am little bit confused that because of existing profile in cic for express entry and sinp OID, can I be rejected for student visa?

Dual intent is a redflag for TR applications except for Spousal PR application. If you believe you meet conditions for SP then you need to convince VO you will return back to your country after studies. As of now, they have proof that you intend not to return. Most SINP sends notification to IRCC after final decision

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

You wouldn’t be considered dual intent because you haven’t been accepted to immigrate. You have expressed a desire to immigrate by applying for PR and yes it could create issues for a study permit approval.

somel

Nov 13, 2014
Dual intent is a redflag for TR applications except for Spousal PR application. If you believe you meet conditions for SP then you need to convince VO you will return back to your country after studies. As of now, they have proof that you intend not to return. Most SINP sends notification to IRCC after final decision
I have just submitted my profile for SINP OID draw and since I have 64 score so far and through their current draw it is above 70 so I can predict in the next 40 years the score will never be like 64 for software engineer noc :p I will better apply for SP, let's see what will happen.

itsmecan

Jun 10, 2021

Hate to say this but it depends on your country of citizenship as well, if you are from a 3rd world country your chances of getting an approval with dual intent are very slim. For other developed countries it mostly works as long as you meet the requirements.

sb22651

Jul 15, 2021

No. Dual intent is not a reason for refusal. Single intent is.

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
That means it's single intent as you're trying to use a study permit to immigrate.

Dual intent is not grounds for refusal.
It is legitimate and i didnt rule out as illegitimate. Single intent is when applicant has expressed or may want to send single application at a time. That means if you dont have a permanent profile or temporary and you want to apply, makes it a single intent.
I get your point, it is single intent provided that your other application is not in process eventhough you have opened a profile. But mg point is, when you have other profile especially PR Stream, there may be an intention to immigrate permanently, and that applicant may overcome that possibility on SOP

May be we need to understand from IRCC point of view.Below is the guidelines on what officer should do in those situations

Dual intent is present when a foreign national who has applied or may apply for permanent residence in Canada also applies to enter Canada for a temporary period as a

Reactions: canuck78

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
Hate to say this but it depends on your country of citizenship as well, if you are from a 3rd world country your chances of getting an approval with dual intent are very slim. For other developed countries it mostly works as long as you meet the requirements.
Any intent, dual or single, from a 3rd world applicant has less chance of approval than an application from developed or developing country :( .
A lot however depends on one's profile and how strong your application is.

No doubt, it you are from Africa or most Asian countries, especially those with high rates of immigrant and unscrupulous activities, you have to make sure your application is airtight to get approval. If this means not applying from the same profile you have used to express interest in permanent residency, that's what you do. It's not illegal to have more than one CIC profile.

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
I have just submitted my profile for SINP OID draw and since I have 64 score so far and through their current draw it is above 70 so I can predict in the next 40 years the score will never be like 64 for software engineer noc :p I will better apply for SP, let's see what will happen.
Have you looked into ways to up your score for SINP? Do you already have a masters? Maxed out your english scores? Work experience for you or your spouse (if you have one)?

somel

Nov 13, 2014
Have you looked into ways to up your score for SINP? Do you already have a masters? Maxed out your english scores? Work experience for you or your spouse (if you have one)?
Since SINP OID added French language to be claimed extra points along with English language so it's tough now to beat them those have points for both languages and I can't claim points for my wife because she is a housewife.

sb22651

Jul 15, 2021
It is legitimate and i didnt rule out as illegitimate. Single intent is when applicant has expressed or may want to send single application at a time. That means if you dont have a permanent profile or temporary and you want to apply, makes it a single intent.
I get your point, it is single intent provided that your other application is not in process eventhough you have opened a profile. But mg point is, when you have other profile especially PR Stream, there may be an intention to immigrate permanently, and that applicant may overcome that possibility on SOP

May be we need to understand from IRCC point of view.Below is the guidelines on what officer should do in those situations

Dual intent is present when a foreign national who has applied or may apply for permanent residence in Canada also applies to enter Canada for a temporary period as a

No. having a PR application in process is not grounds for refusal of a study permit. You're making things up. Even your links doesn't state that. You're making assumptions.

Your study permit is reviewed on the basis of the documents submitted on your study permit application. But if you're not using it to study, ie you're using a study permit to immigrate and stay in Canada, then there is no intent of studying. Therefore it's single intent as you're not going to comply with the regulations of the study permit. Your PR application is irrelevant in this case.

1st intent: immigrate through PR application

2nd intent: study on a temporary study permit <- this is not satisfied.