+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Driving Ticket and Citizenship Application

addis

Jan 18, 2015
Hi All,

I got two driving tickets under BC MVA 152 & 151(b) for driving in the HOV lane and crossing over a solid white line last week.

I am planning to apply for citizenship next month and wanted your advice on the following:

1. Do the above driving tickets constitute an indictable offense?

2. Can I answer NO to the questions "Are you charged with an indictable offense in Canada"? and "Have you been convicted of an indictable offense under any Act of Parliament or an offense under the Citizenship Act"? on the citizenship application (CIT 0002 10-2017 E - Section 16) https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/ircc/migration/ircc/english/pdf/kits/citizen/cit0002e-2.pdf.

2. Would it be prudent to dispute these tickets?

3. Would it be advisable to file for citizenship separately for each member of my family, so that any potential problem on my citizenship application does not affect the processing of their applications?

Your advice will be greatly appreciated.

ohhhhusa

Star Member
Nov 6, 2017
1. Are you kidding?
2. Yes, you can answer NO.
3. They don't care.
4. I don't know. If that ticket is the only potential issue then you're fine.

sansnom

Mar 10, 2017
I'm not a lawyer, but AFAIK, only a tiny portion of traffic tickets are indictable offenses, i.e. DUI.

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
A simple traffic ticket isn't going to cause problems as long as you address them properly. Have any unpaid parking tickets?

spousalsponsee

Apr 21, 2017
I got two driving tickets under BC MVA
Is the point at which your question's facts can stop.

Indictable offence means a serious criminal offence. BC Motor Vehicle Act is Provincial law. Provinces cannot pass criminal law, which is Federal. No Provincial law can be an indictable offence.

Separately, the provinces & the feds can cover the same thing - eg there is federal criminal law on driving issues - but your question would only be relevant to that if you had been charged under Federal law.

chun0431

May 28, 2018
I'm in a similar situation but I received more speeding tickets, 4 in 2016 and 1 in 2017. All speeding ones.

Will this affect my PR application? :(:(:(:(:(

Thank you everyone.

foodie69

VIP Member
Dec 18, 2015
I'm in a similar situation but I received more speeding tickets, 4 in 2016 and 1 in 2017. All speeding ones.

Will this affect my PR application? :(:(:(:(:(

Thank you everyone.
Wrong forum, this is for citizenship.

No effect..but stop speeding, follow the law and you don't have to worry about it.

Oct 13, 2019
hii all,
i have recently issued with a traffic ticket for driving no insurance vehicle as a international student will it affect my work permit and pr , i am really worried about this

Philly898

Star Member
Apr 28, 2019
hii all,
i have recently issued with a traffic ticket for driving no insurance vehicle as a international student will it affect my work permit and pr , i am really worried about this
Do not worry about this. As mentioned above, traffic tickets are not indictable offences and will not have any impact on your application.