+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Driving my US vehicle in Canada?

jess143

Jun 1, 2016
Hello All,

I have looked through tons of forum postings but haven't seen any answers yet to my specific question.
I crossed over to Canada from the US driving my vehicle as a visitor. I have since gotten married and am now applying under spousal sponsorship. I have an open work permit that I applied for at the same time as I submitted my PR application.

My vehicle is still registered and insured in the US. I know that since I am not yet a PR, and my work permit is valid for less than 36 months, I don't legally have to import my vehicle. I also can't afford to pay the fees to do that at this time and would certainly prefer to wait and bring the car in once I have PR status to save the thousands.

My insurance company only covers me while in Canada as a visitor for less than 6 months.

Can I get Canadian auto insurance for my US plated/registered vehicle? Can I get some kind of special (long term) traveler's insurance for my vehicle?

I haven't been able to find any answers as to how to keep my vehicle road legal while I'm waiting for my PR status but I'm sure there has to be someone in a similar situation. Is anyone working, using a US vehicle, for more than 6 months while in Canada on a work permit? How are you handling insurance???

Any and all help and guidance are greatly appreciated!