+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Driving license in Vancouver Island....need help??

Rekha Arun

Star Member
Aug 17, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
NEW DELHI
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
NOV.09
Doc's Request.
FEB. 10
IELTS Request
APR'10
File Transfer...
APR'10
Med's Request
OCT'10
Med's Done....
NOV'10
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
NOV'10
VISA ISSUED...
FEB14'11
LANDED..........
BY JULY 11
Hi everyone,

Can i drive car in vancouver island, British columbia with Indian license for the first 3months without any further BC knowledge test.??
Any suggestions welcome.

thanks
Rekha.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, if you have moved to BC, you can drive on your license for 90 days, see http://www.welcomebc.ca/wbc/immigration/settle/documents/license.page?WT.svl=LeftNav

If you have not moved to BC but are only visiting, you can drive on your license for up to 6 months.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
local police may have different interpretation of the law. you may be ticketed in any case and go for dispute. good luck!

Rekha Arun

Star Member
Aug 17, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
NEW DELHI
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
NOV.09
Doc's Request.
FEB. 10
IELTS Request
APR'10
File Transfer...
APR'10
Med's Request
OCT'10
Med's Done....
NOV'10
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
NOV'10
VISA ISSUED...
FEB14'11
LANDED..........
BY JULY 11
steaky said:
local police may have different interpretation of the law. you may be ticketed in any case and go for dispute. good luck!
hi, thanks for tht reply, do u mean to say that i have call local police station for their own law or the insurance agency who handles the driving license issues???
thanks
rekha

Rekha Arun

Star Member
Aug 17, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
NEW DELHI
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
NOV.09
Doc's Request.
FEB. 10
IELTS Request
APR'10
File Transfer...
APR'10
Med's Request
OCT'10
Med's Done....
NOV'10
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
NOV'10
VISA ISSUED...
FEB14'11
LANDED..........
BY JULY 11
Leon said:
Yes, if you have moved to BC, you can drive on your license for 90 days, see http://www.welcomebc.ca/wbc/immigration/settle/documents/license.page?WT.svl=LeftNav

If you have not moved to BC but are only visiting, you can drive on your license for up to 6 months.
Thanks Leon.

I am moved in PR visa.
Today i visited the license issuing office and they are not sure about this, but as the website says 90 days they told me I can keep up those days,yet they wanna confirm on this.
Regards,
rekha

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Rekha Arun said:
hi, thanks for tht reply, do u mean to say that i have call local police station for their own law or the insurance agency who handles the driving license issues???
thanks
rekha
better you go to the local police station to find out

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Print out the website I linked to and keep it with you in your car if you are stopped by police. It might just convince them not to ticket you although you never know.

Rekha Arun

Star Member
Aug 17, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
NEW DELHI
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
NOV.09
Doc's Request.
FEB. 10
IELTS Request
APR'10
File Transfer...
APR'10
Med's Request
OCT'10
Med's Done....
NOV'10
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
NOV'10
VISA ISSUED...
FEB14'11
LANDED..........
BY JULY 11
Leon said:
Print out the website I linked to and keep it with you in your car if you are stopped by police. It might just convince them not to ticket you although you never know.
Thank you leon. I will try to do tht

Rekha Arun

Star Member
Aug 17, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
NEW DELHI
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
NOV.09
Doc's Request.
FEB. 10
IELTS Request
APR'10
File Transfer...
APR'10
Med's Request
OCT'10
Med's Done....
NOV'10
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
NOV'10
VISA ISSUED...
FEB14'11
LANDED..........
BY JULY 11
steaky said:
better you go to the local police station to find out
Thanks steaky, tht's also not a bad idea. i do keep tht in mind and followup.

Regards,
relkha

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009 and 15 April 2011
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
steaky said:
Steaky:

If I recall your case clearly, you were driving with a Chinese licence, but had not had it translated into English by an approved translator, right?

Then, when the police officer stopped you, he was unable to tell whether or not you had a valid driver's licence, and so he ticketed you.
Have I got that right?

So ... the lesson to be learned is get an official translation of your foreign licence (some countries do not produce an International Driver's Licence). In B.C. the ICBC website gives a list of approved translators. I paid $20 to have my wife's licence translated.

And have proof of your date of landing (e.g. passport, with landing stamp easy to find) to show te police that you are within your 90-day or 6-month limit.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
toby said:
So ... the lesson to be learned is get an official translation of your foreign licence (some countries do not produce an International Driver's Licence). In B.C. the ICBC website gives a list of approved translators. I paid $20 to have my wife's licence translated.

And have proof of your date of landing (e.g. passport, with landing stamp easy to find) to show te police that you are within your 90-day or 6-month limit.
No, according to the act, one doesn't need a translation of their driving licence. Moreover, I am still waiting for the dispute to be heard.

I'm not the new immigrant. My wife was. I'm the one who was driving and had the licence. So the proof of landing doesn't work or show anything.

Rekha Arun

Star Member
Aug 17, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
NEW DELHI
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
NOV.09
Doc's Request.
FEB. 10
IELTS Request
APR'10
File Transfer...
APR'10
Med's Request
OCT'10
Med's Done....
NOV'10
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
NOV'10
VISA ISSUED...
FEB14'11
LANDED..........
BY JULY 11
yes,what toby says is right, Be'se i dont require any translator since my indian license is printed in english, and other thing is you need carry a copy of ur landing paper withyou in those 90days just incase the police who pulledu wanna verify those days from the day u landed. this is thing i was also told by the local licensing company.