+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Driving License From India/USA

naveenezone

Apr 3, 2009
Hi All, I got the PR card a month back and I am doing preparatory works before migrating to Canada. This is about getting the driving license in Canada.
I worked in USA for a period of 3 years and I was driving there for more than 2 years and after that I returned to India.
My USA driver license expired on Feb 2010 . I am not planing to renew USA driving license as I wont qualify for address proof.

I also have a Indian Driving license which is expiring in 2020. Should I get a international driving license in India and then land in Canada.
Is international driving license from India useful in Canada. I planning to migrate to Ontario. Please advise.

Regards,
Naveen R

wilson

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
naveenezone said:
Hi All, I got the PR card a month back and I am doing preparatory works before migrating to Canada. This is about getting the driving license in Canada.
I worked in USA for a period of 3 years and I was driving there for more than 2 years and after that I returned to India.
My USA driver license expired on Feb 2010 . I am not planing to renew USA driving license as I wont qualify for address proof.

I also have a Indian Driving license which is expiring in 2020. Should I get a international driving license in India and then land in Canada.
Is international driving license from India useful in Canada. I planning to migrate to Ontario. Please advise.

Regards,
Naveen R
Your US licence is not useful as it is already expired. You can drive temporarily with your Indian driving licence in Ontario after landing. For more details about International licence and Ontario driver's licence please see the below links:
http://www.settlement.org/sys/faqs_detail.asp?faq_id=4000177

http://www.settlement.org/sys/faqs_detail.asp?faq_id=4000121

tasmac

Star Member
Feb 1, 2010
In Ontario, your expired US license is valid for 1 year from expiration date to do a license exchange.
After one year it cannot be used for that. You will have to start again with a G2 and then proceed to get a G1

barsindoo

Champion Member
Jul 7, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
naveenezone said:

I also have a Indian Driving license which is expiring in 2020. Should I get a international driving license in India and then land in Canada. It is advisable.
Is international driving license from India useful in Canada. I planning to migrate to Ontario. Please advise. For three months from the day you land thereafter you are expected to perfect your provincial license in order to drive on Canadian roads.

Regards,
Naveen R