+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Driving Car (Canadian plates) into US without import?

danhass

Sep 21, 2010
US
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
VISA ISSUED...
Thanks to this forum I avoided hassle during road landing from US to Canada. I used public transport (bus) instead of the car with US plates that I rented from my hometown all the way to the border (I parked the car in US parking lot for the few days I was in Canada).

However, this time I have the opposite situation. I'm going to live in Canada for a few months (as a PR) and buy a car. But I would want to drive back to US as a student in US university. Meaning my Canadian status will be permanent, but US status will be temporary.

As an example scenario, let's say I want to live 6 months in US and 6 months in Canada, every year.

My question is, is it possible to keep the Canadian plates and not import the car, and keep using the car in US so that when I get back to Canada, I'm not stopped by Canadian officials again (on grounds that my car has US plates)?

Another question: Is importing car and changing plates the same thing?

In US even if you move from one state to another you have to change the plates. If I have to change the plates of my Canadian car then what's the point of bringing it from Canada? In that case, I would be extremely upset if I have to import car everytime I move across the border with the intent to stay at the other side for a few months.

I'm really confused, please help.

danhass

Sep 21, 2010
US
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
VISA ISSUED...
Any suggestions?