+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

DRIVER'S LICENSE IN ALBERTA

pecimob

Star Member
Aug 22, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I posted some information about my landing experience but forgot to include a section on driver's license.

I think the gov't of canada has a procedure where holders of licenses from certain countries can easily exchange them for a Canadian one. I had a license from Korea and that is exactly what I did. This is what I did:

1. Contact a driver's license company in Calgary ... www.mojos.com and obtained some information about the process.

2. I went to Mojos and showed them my Korean D/License. They said it needed to be translated, so I found a certified translator through the city directory. The guy who did the job is a Korean/Canadian.

3. I came back the next day with the translation but was told i needed to provide a confirmation of my residential address. Since I was a newbie and have not yet received anything in the mail in my name, I went to CIBC (Bank) and got a receipt of my account with my residential address. The bank then stamped the receipt confirming my address and the D/License office accepted it. (The D/L office asked me to do it that way).

4. They took my Korean D/L and was issued a temporary AB/License valid for 30 days. I am waiting for the original in the mail. I am told it would take 5-10 days.

NB: My reason for obtaining the driver's license was to get a photo ID to apply for health card. I was told this was necessary. But later, I found out that the driver's license was not necessary. All they need for a health card was my landing documents and passport bearing my photo.

I hope this information is helpful.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
American drivers license is also exchangable and you will not need it translated :D

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ghiaskhan said:
All new comers, must visit www.cic.gc.ca. Rea "After You arrive". You will find details about all necessary informations.Immigrants from a number of countris can exhange their license. that includes European countries/japan/korea/ USA
Japan, S-Korea and USA, yes, but definitely not all European countries though, only UK, Austria, Germany, Switzerland, Belgium and France. You will need a certified translation if the license is not in English.

If you come from a country that does not have a drivers license exchange by Canada, whether it's India or Sweden, you have to take the test. Since most provinces now have graduated drivers licensing, you often have to wait a year between taking the written test and the road test. They will waive this year waiting time if you have a foreign license but they have to process it first. You will have to hand in your foreign license and translation and they will let you take the test once they evaluate it. Make sure you get the phone number and estimated processing time because they may not let you know.

manianz47

Sep 15, 2008
Hi

It should be possible to get International Driving License from your Home Country (for those who are not covered by Exchange program)
(I am sure about India)
This should be valid for at least 3 months (My USA experience). Car Rental companies do accept this
The validity may differ from State to State (again USA experience)

This should be applicable to Canada (and Alberta) also

Can someone confirm ?

ghiaskhan

Requirements for all Out of Country driver's licence applicants in Ontario.Please Visit

http://www.drivetest.ca/en/license/OutOfCountryDrivers.aspx
_

All applicants must declare their driving experience on the driver's licence application form.
All applicants for an Ontario driver's licence are required to;
present a valid foreign driver's licence (if it is not in English or French, it is to be accompanied by a written translation from a qualified translator)
pass a vision test and a written knowledge test regarding Ontario's traffic rules
pay all applicable fees
Provide acceptable proof of identity.
Applicants have the option of attempting either the G1 or G2 exit road tests (mandatory wait times are waived) when a valid “Letter of Authentication” indicating a minimum of 24 months of foreign driving experience is submitted.
PLEASE NOTE: An applicant who applies for an Ontario driver’s licence without presenting a valid out-of-country driver’s licence and a translation of that licence into English of French (if required) at the time of application, and obtains a G1 licence, will not be eligible to return at a later date to be credited with any driving experience either by self-declaring or by presenting an authentication document. These applicants will be required to serve all GLS mandatory wait periods.

Applicants who fulfill these requirements may obtain a G1 licence - This policy only applies to applicants for Class G licenses.

Length of Experience:

Applicants declaring less than 12 months driving experience within the preceding three years:

The ministry will recognize the amount of driving experience declared on the driver's licence application.
Applicants must have 12 months driving experience before attempting the G1 road test.
If an applicant successfully completes a ministry-approved Beginner Driver Education course, the mandatory waiting time, prior to taking the G1 road test, will be reduced from 12 to 8 months.
The 8-12 months may be a combination of driving experience in the foreign jurisdiction and experience in Ontario.
Applicants declaring more than 12 months driving experience but less than 24 months within the preceding three years:

The ministry will recognize the amount of driving experience declared on the driver's licence application.
Applicants declaring more than 12 months driving experience but less than 24 months within the preceding three years will receive 12 months driving experience and may proceed to take the G1 road test without having to fulfill the mandatory 12-month G1 wait period.
If the applicant passes the G1 road test, they will be issued a G2 licence and will not be subject to the six restrictions of the G1 licence, including the requirement to have a fully licensed driver accompany them in the vehicle and prohibition from driving on 400-series expressways.
To obtain recognition for more than 12 months driving experience, applicants are required to obtain written authentication of their foreign driving experience from the originating licensing agency, or from the Embassy, Consulate or High Commissioners' offices representing the jurisdiction. The authentication letter must be on official letterhead and be written in either English or French. The letter of authentication must be dated within six months preceding the date of application for an Ontario driver's licence. If the Authentication Letter is in a language other than English or French, it must be accompanied by a Letter of Translation from a qualified translator.
The ministry will recognize the applicant's foreign driving experience as certified on the authentication letter.
Recognized driving experience will be applied towards the G2 12-month waiting period prior to taking the G2 road test.
If applicants do not provide a letter of authentication, applicants must fulfill the 12-month mandatory waiting period prior to taking the G2 road test.
Applicants declaring a minimum of 24 months driving experience within the preceding three years:

To obtain recognition for more than 12 months driving experience, applicants are required to obtain written authentication of their foreign driving experience from the originating licensing agency, or from the Embassy, Consulate or High Commissioners' offices representing the jurisdiction. The authentication letter must be on official letterhead and be written in either English or French. It must be dated and cannot be more than 6 months old. If the Authentication Letter is in a language other than English or French, it must be accompanied by a Letter of Translation from a qualified translator.
The ministry will recognize the applicant's foreign driving experience as certified on the authentication letter.
Applicants have, pending a letter of authentication of a minimum of 24 months of foreign driving experience, the option of attempting the G1 or G2 exit road tests (mandatory waiting times are waived).
If the applicant chooses to attempt the G1 road test and successfully completes it, the applicant will then be eligible to attempt the G2 road test.
Upon successfully passing the G2 exit road test, applicants will be issued a G licence.
If applicants do not provide a letter of authentication, applicants must pass the G1 road test and must fulfill the 12-month waiting period prior to taking G2 road test.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
In AB, you are allowed to drive on your foreign license for up to 3 months and on an international license for up to 1 year. If you can not find a translator to translate your foreign license, they will take an international license as proof.

When you need to get your foreign license evaluated to get out of waiting to take the road test, you will have to hand it in though and in AB, for me, it took them about a month to process it. In the meantime, I had no license, foreign or otherwise.

pecimob

Star Member
Aug 22, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Additional Information:

WHen you apply for the license, you will need PROOF of your residential address. In my case, i was asked to go to the Bank and obtain a note with my name and residential address with the Bank's stamp on it confirming the address.