+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Drivers LIcence - US reciprocal agreement- Seniors please advice.

sidhuboy

Star Member
May 1, 2010
I was a student in US for about 6 years. Since 2007 i have returned to India and have received my Canadian PR as of last month. I hold a valid California drivers license (valid upto 2012).

I am now planning on landing in Alberta. And the Province of Alberta has a reciprocal license agreement for a US license, where you can exchange a valid US dl with a simillar class Alberta DL.

Please let me know your views on exchanging the valid California DL with a Alberta one. Will i be able to do this?

smallduck

Jul 21, 2010
NYC
Category........
Visa Office......
New York, NY (In Process)
NOC Code......
9xxx
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 05 2009
Doc's Request.
Dec 02 2009
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
Dec 10 2009 and Apr 21 2010
IELTS Request
waived
File Transfer...
Jul 14 2010 to NYVO
Med's Request
Aug 24 2010
Med's Done....
Sep 15 2010 - and Med RCVD (Nov 16)
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
Apr 04 2011, Decision made Apr 25 2011
VISA ISSUED...
Apr 18 2011
I can make a guess, just a guess that you will be able to get an Can license when you give up your US license. It could be similar when you renew/exchange US license from one state to another.
Give it a try as soon as your landing, you might still be using your US license in Can just like driving from US to Can for traveling purpose.
Correct me if I'm wrong, seniors :)

druid2010

Star Member
Jun 24, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
i was a student in detroit for 3 years and exchanged my us license in ontario for a g class license after i came to toronto on a work visa in 2008.. only thing they make you do is the reading test (to see if your vision is good), after that you surrender your us license and they give you a temp license and mail your actual license a week or so later...

sidhuboy

Star Member
May 1, 2010
druid2010 said:
i was a student in detroit for 3 years and exchanged my us license in ontario for a g class license after i came to toronto on a work visa in 2008.. only thing they make you do is the reading test (to see if your vision is good), after that you surrender your us license and they give you a temp license and mail your actual license a week or so later...
Thank you for the response, Druid2010 and Smallduck.

Another quick question. Do i have to provide any other document except the valid U.S DL which details my experience in US? In that case do i need to order my driving history from the DMV?

Any comments or suggestions will be helpful.

unoy_po

Sep 7, 2009
you can exchange your cali license within canada, your driving history is good for insurance purposes.... hope this help

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can see the exchange information for Alberta here: http://www.servicealberta.gov.ab.ca/1671.cfm If your license has the date on it when it was first issued and it's older than 2 years, you can get a full license in Alberta. If your license does not show that, then they would not give you credit for driving experience and you would get a GDL license which is almost as good.