+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Driver License- CANNOT APPLY

meganpeter

Jun 21, 2013
Was recently given the travel document for permanent resident( didn't meet the residency requirement) and I was able to return to Canada successfully. Now I want to exchange my American drivers license for a British Columbia drivers license. When I went to the office, they said I could not get the drivers license because my PR card expired in 2011 and I do not have a proof of receipt of an application for a renewed PR card. I do not want to apply for a new PR because I do not meet the residency requirement.

The main reason I want the drivers license is that most of the jobs that I qualify for require it for employment. What should I do?
(FYI, I am not an American citizen).

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
How about using your record of landing? That never expires, I believe.

This is a weird catch I've never considered -- you're in Canada legally, but you can't get a driving license . . . Try looking at the requirements for a B.C. Services card, or a B.C. identification card.

meganpeter

Jun 21, 2013
On their website, it states that a record of landing is a sufficient document but the lady I talked to said I need a valid PR card or a receipt that I am apply for a new one. The thing is, my family doesn't remember getting the record of landing when we arrived, but we have the confirmation of permanent resident.

How can I get the record of landing??

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Record of landing is an old form and was replaced by COPR so you either have one or the other, not both.

Is there only one location where you live where you can get a license? Otherwise you could try a different office.

If you were granted a travel document based on H&C grounds even though you did not meet the residency requirements, you could apply for a PR card right away. Immigration should accept the decision done by the visa office.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
meganpeter said:
Was recently given the travel document for permanent resident( didn't meet the residency requirement) and I was able to return to Canada successfully. Now I want to exchange my American drivers license for a British Columbia drivers license. When I went to the office, they said I could not get the drivers license because my PR card expired in 2011 and I do not have a proof of receipt of an application for a renewed PR card. I do not want to apply for a new PR because I do not meet the residency requirement.

The main reason I want the drivers license is that most of the jobs that I qualify for require it for employment. What should I do?
(FYI, I am not an American citizen).
ICBC sucks. They turned my partner away at first, saying that he needed the PR card before he could get a license. I called ICBC and was told that was wrong, that he could actually get the paper license using his COPR but wouldn't be able to get the actual card until he could show his PR card.

So I suggest you go in with just your COPR, say your PR card is lost and request the paper license.

meganpeter

Jun 21, 2013
Leon said:
Record of landing is an old form and was replaced by COPR so you either have one or the other, not both.

Is there only one location where you live where you can get a license? Otherwise you could try a different office.

If you were granted a travel document based on H&C grounds even though you did not meet the residency requirements, you could apply for a PR card right away. Immigration should accept the decision done by the visa office.
I might try a different location. My immigration consultant advised me to apply for a new one when I get a job, so that I can establish ties to Canada. And i have no idea why they gave the travel document( which is actually a R-1 visa) to me and they never stated it as being on a H&C grounds.

meganpeter

Jun 21, 2013
canuck_in_uk said:
ICBC sucks. They turned my partner away at first, saying that he needed the PR card before he could get a license. I called ICBC and was told that was wrong, that he could actually get the paper license using his COPR but wouldn't be able to get the actual card until he could show his PR card.

So I suggest you go in with just your COPR, say your PR card is lost and request the paper license.
Thank you! Which location did you go to and how long is the paper license valid?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
meganpeter said:
Thank you! Which location did you go to and how long is the paper license valid?
Victoria. Can't remember how long it was valid for, as he got his PR card and actual license not too long after that.