+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Does working as a contractor hinder express entry?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
I want to apply for PR in express entry and I need Canadian Job Experience. Right now I am paying my tax by myself at the end of the year and I am not getting T4.
Some employers classify individuals as on contract to avoid paying payroll taxes etc . If you feel that you should be classified as an employee versus as on contract , you can request the CRA to rule on the issue . If the CRA decides in your favour , then you’d be classified as an employee, meaning a T4 would be issued , and you and your employer have to pay any payroll remittances that would have been due the Federal Government. For your employer that means , penalties & interest , issuing T4’s, and more than likely a closer look into the companies payroll records . For you , you’d have to adjust past tax returns .
For rulings , the CRA will reach out to the employer .

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/forms-publications/publications/rc4110/employee-self-employed.html#

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/forms-publications/forms/cpt1.html

Last edited:

theonlyone1

Aug 4, 2022
Egypt
Category........
FSW
Is this for CEC or FSW? If Canadian work experience, do you get a T4 from the company for your taxes?
If the company is not Canadian and my work was outside Canada what documents do I need? I can get company reference letter and bank statements for the salary transfers, probably will be hard to get tax docs because I out of country, would that be enough for EE FSW?

Also another story, I'm currently still working there full time while being a student "2 months ago" in Canada (I learned that it's okay since it's remote), I will be filing my global income taxes here and everything, I can use that time for FSW experience as well, right?

Reactions: felibg

iSaidGoodDay

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2023
Kaneda
If the company is not Canadian and my work was outside Canada what documents do I need? I can get company reference letter and bank statements for the salary transfers, probably will be hard to get tax docs because I out of country, would that be enough for EE FSW?

Also another story, I'm currently still working there full time while being a student "2 months ago" in Canada (I learned that it's okay since it's remote), I will be filing my global income taxes here and everything, I can use that time for FSW experience as well, right?
If the company isn't Canadian and you were a contractor with them - you need:
1. Reference letter
2. Contract

felibg

Apr 1, 2024
If the company isn't Canadian and you were a contractor with them - you need:
1. Reference letter
2. Contract
So can an independent contractor, who works at a company registered in USA and is working from Nepal (and pays taxes there) claim Full time work experience after working there for a year?

This is the case for me. I get my salary (on papers, contract fee) on same time each month through wise transfer, and then do my own taxes and the contract mentioned that it's for a year. I also have an offer letter stating my annual salary, I work 32 hours per week minimum and employer controls all my tech stack and work, and i get fixed agreed upon salary regardless of company's profits or loss. The only problem is that the contract explicitly mentions that I am an independent contractor and not an employee (neither am i entitled to any of it's benefits), so can i prove my employer-employee relationship, and do i need extra documents?

Thanks.

iSaidGoodDay

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2023
Kaneda
So can an independent contractor, who works at a company registered in USA and is working from Nepal (and pays taxes there) claim Full time work experience after working there for a year?

This is the case for me. I get my salary (on papers, contract fee) on same time each month through wise transfer, and then do my own taxes and the contract mentioned that it's for a year. I also have an offer letter stating my annual salary, I work 32 hours per week minimum and employer controls all my tech stack and work, and i get fixed agreed upon salary regardless of company's profits or loss. The only problem is that the contract explicitly mentions that I am an independent contractor and not an employee (neither am i entitled to any of it's benefits), so can i prove my employer-employee relationship, and do i need extra documents?

Thanks.
You can claim work experience as a self-employed person. You are not employed by the said employer in your case. You should read more about how to claim this experience and apply as a self-employed person through EE.