+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Does work experience during full-time distance Masters not count toward PR application?

Mar 23, 2024
Hi everyone,

Sorry this is a lengthy question but I need help.

I am considering enrolling in a distance learning Masters from a Canadian university, but I am not sure if this will have negative impacts on my PR application/ CRS score.

I am currently at 474 with 1 year of work experience and am currently working and will complete my second year of working this year. So, to be clear, I have a job and am working.

The IRCC website states:"Distance learningDistance learning can be through e-learning, correspondence, or internet courses. Distance learning is a process by which technology is used in ways where the student does not have to physically be in the place where the teaching is taking place.**Since by definition distance learning does not require one to be in Canada, a study permit cannot be issued for this type of course. For example, if a foreign national authorized to work in Canada is prohibited from engaging in studies as per a condition of their work permit, they are allowed to engage in distance learning courses.**However, some distance learning courses include an in-Canada portion to the program (e.g., special tutorials or the writing of final exams). If the overall course of study is greater than six months, then the student requires a study permit for the in-Canada portion of the program, even if the in-Canada portion is less than six months. The duration of the study permit should be for the duration of the in-Canada portion only."https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/study-permits/other-considerations.html

So, I know it is legal to do the masters while working. However, I am not sure what impacts this will have on my PR application/ CRS score, due to these two questions on the PR EE profile:

1. "Under the education section:Has ABC finished high school or any higher education (including university, college or vocational training)?" - When I apply for a PR, I would have only started this program, so will I have to indicate this here? because it asks if I have 'finished' it but under it, it has a "is this your current study" option? How do I indicate that this is distance learning?
  2. Under the 'work history' section, it asks "if you were a full time student during this work experience" - now I am not sure if for the purpose of immigration if I classify as a 'student' as I do not need a study permit as it is a distance learning program.
I am aware of the new policy where we can study on the PGWP, but the clause on it is:

"Eligibility for permanent residence programsIf you’re a worker who is studying full time, there are some things to know:Your work experience won’t count toward eligibility for the Canada experience classCanadian work experience points under Express Entry’s Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS)."https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/permit/temporary/workers-study-without-study-permit.html

My worry is that due to this clause, the time I work while taking this distance learning program will stop counting towards my CRS. But I also feel this applies for programsthat 'require you to be in Canada' and not distance learning programs. So, does any one have any insight on if/how this could impact my CRS?

Thank you so much in advance for your time!

TL;DR: Does work experience during full-time distance Masters (from a Canadian university) not count toward PR application?