+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Does the 6-month visitor days "reset" to 0 when re-entering from the USA?

buliwyf

Star Member
Mar 27, 2013
I'd like my mom to stay here for 3 months more than the 6 that she's allowed (total of 9). She has a multiple-entry visitor visa.

I understand that she can apply for an extension the proper way, but can we just drive to Buffalo, NY (do some shopping and whatnot) then come back the next day, and have her 6-months "reset" ?

Jalex23

VIP Member
Apr 12, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-09-2013
Doc's Request.
09-04-2014
AOR Received.
06-11-2013
Med's Request
05-04-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
Passport Req..
07-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
06-09-2014
buliwyf said:
I'd like my mom to stay here for 3 months more than the 6 that she's allowed (total of 9). She has a multiple-entry visitor visa.

I understand that she can apply for an extension the proper way, but can we just drive to Buffalo, NY (do some shopping and whatnot) then come back the next day, and have her 6-months "reset" ?
It is up to the CBSA officer.

CBSA officers know that people might want to deceive the system and try to use the flag poling option of driving to the US as a shortcut for an extension. Therefore they are actively detecting those cases and do not grant them more time that what was already given.

M

mikeymyke

As mentioned it's up to the officer if they'll grant another 6 months or so, but its unlikely since they do kind of frown upon that kind of activity involving leaving Canada for a few days, and then returning. It's possible they'll only grant her a short time, maybe a few weeks or so. It's hard to say. The best way would probably be to apply for an extension.

wins26

Feb 15, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi. I applied for my wife visitor extension. Her permit expired this July 11 but we already applied for new one w/c is already been approve with medical form. My question is. We have an emergency and need to go back to our country before end of June. Does she need to do the medical still even though she is not coming back in about 2 years? Is there any problem in the future if ever she want to come back? She has 5 years multiple visa by the way

2nd, i applied mine. My status now is on implied status. i am going home too is there any problem Even though my permit is not yet approve? Is there any problem in the future if ever i want to go back in canada for like a year or so? I have 5 years multiple visa too

Thanks