+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Does speeding ticket affect entire PR process? (NSPNP to Express Entry)

wkde01

Sep 28, 2017
Hello,

I have been in Canada for 5 years right now. I finished my college last June and I got a job in NOC B and currently live in Nova Scotia right now. Yesterday, I was driving on the highway and did not realize it is construction area. I could see red construction corns but the speed sign for construction was not quite visible and I drove maximum speed of the highway 110km/h. I was pulled over, and got a normal speeding ticket which is not doubled. The speed limit of construction zone was 80km/h, I was driving 110km/h. It is my first ticket and the police officer treated me quite reasonable, so I should pay this ticket.

Now, I am not qualify to apply NSPNP (4 months left to be qualified), but I am really concerning that it affect my PR process. I did research about that and most of people said 'that is not criminal offence', however the other people also said 'blue ticket' and 'red ticket' I do not know what differences are.

Will my speeding ticket affect my future PR processing?

vpkasbek

Nov 22, 2016
Visa Office......
CPC -Sydney; Secondary visa office: CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
Jan 03, 2017
Doc's Request.
Generic Reminder Email: RPRF, Passport Bio, Sch A, PCC. 06.12.2017; Updated Sch A form 09.25.2017
Nomination.....
Dec 15, 2016
AOR Received.
Mar 07, 2017
IELTS Request
Sent with package
Med's Request
Dec 15, 2017 (Upfront eMedicals); Feb 12, 2018 (Request from CIC)
Med's Done....
Feb 14, 2018 (Passed)
Interview........
Not applicable; BGIP 2: Feb 27, 2018
Passport Req..
Apr 13, 2018
VISA ISSUED...
Apr 19, 2018
Speeding is not a criminal offence anywhere in the world. If you were drunk driving then yes, it qualifies for a misdemeanor. In my opinion, it shouldnt cause any problems. I am sure most drivers in their lifetime must have had one episode of speeding or minor driving/parking tickets. Dont worry it will be okay.

AmKh

Star Member
Jan 29, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 27th, 2015
Doc's Request.
April 13th, 2016
AOR Received.
November 3rd, 2015
Med's Request
April 29th, 2016
Passport Req..
waiting

Anna13

Star Member
Jun 13, 2013
Hi, well this is my own experience. A speeding ticket is not a criminal offense but it massively delayed our process of getting PR. I had a 7km speeding ticket in Australia and Canada wanted proof we paid it, which we did. Problem since they saw I had a speeding ticket they made my file a complex case which makes the process so much longer. I think you might be lucky because it happened in Canada so they can look it up quicker. You will still get PR but might take longer. Good luck.

Reactions: Rahul_Ram1008

shr3664

Oct 7, 2018
Hi, well this is my own experience. A speeding ticket is not a criminal offense but it massively delayed our process of getting PR. I had a 7km speeding ticket in Australia and Canada wanted proof we paid it, which we did. Problem since they saw I had a speeding ticket they made my file a complex case which makes the process so much longer. I think you might be lucky because it happened in Canada so they can look it up quicker. You will still get PR but might take longer. Good luck.
May I ask how did you provide a proof it was paid? I'm also in Australia and had a speeding ticket about 7 years ago (which was paid). Currently, preparing documents for submitting my PR application and want to know how I can prove I paid the fine in 2011? Does Vicroads provide such info?

ramkumar_2018

Jul 9, 2019
Can you please help me understand, what answer you give at the time of port of entry questions in terms of criminal offence is concerned (it was yes or no). I know it doesn't comes under criminal but just want to check what was your answer and did they cross questioned you.

Reactions: Rahul_Ram1008

John_22

Oct 21, 2018
What about red light ticket? Is it considered a crime or is it just an offence which is nothing to worry about when applying for PR. I was not pulled over by cops but I guess I was captured by a redlight camera because my car skidded to a stop before the yellow changed to red.

RefugeeHelp1

May 23, 2019
Category........
Other
What about red light ticket? Is it considered a crime or is it just an offence which is nothing to worry about when applying for PR. I was not pulled over by cops but I guess I was captured by a redlight camera because my car skidded to a stop before the yellow changed to red.
A red light ticket is typically considered a traffic violation, rather than a crime. In most cases, it is not considered to be a serious offense and would not generally have an impact on your application for permanent residence (PR) in Canada.

However, it is important to note that traffic violations can accumulate and potentially result in a suspension or revocation of your driver's license, and this could potentially affect your ability to drive in Canada, which could be a factor in your PR application.

If you receive a red light ticket, it is generally a good idea to pay it promptly to avoid any additional fines or consequences. Depending on the laws in the jurisdiction where the ticket was issued, you may have the option to contest the ticket if you believe it was issued in error.

Reactions: John_22

John_22

Oct 21, 2018
A red light ticket is typically considered a traffic violation, rather than a crime. In most cases, it is not considered to be a serious offense and would not generally have an impact on your application for permanent residence (PR) in Canada.

However, it is important to note that traffic violations can accumulate and potentially result in a suspension or revocation of your driver's license, and this could potentially affect your ability to drive in Canada, which could be a factor in your PR application.

If you receive a red light ticket, it is generally a good idea to pay it promptly to avoid any additional fines or consequences. Depending on the laws in the jurisdiction where the ticket was issued, you may have the option to contest the ticket if you believe it was issued in error.
I think if I got this ticket by mail, this would be my first time to commit traffic violations. I hope they’ll reconsider knowing the weather was bad that day and road conditions was not the best. If the road condition was great, I would have stopped the car on time.

Reactions: RefugeeHelp1

moscatojuices

Champion Member
Feb 21, 2022
I think if I got this ticket by mail, this would be my first time to commit traffic violations. I hope they’ll reconsider knowing the weather was bad that day and road conditions was not the best. If the road condition was great, I would have stopped the car on time.
Save your excuses for Judge Judy of the CBSA dude.

Also for future driving advice: drive slower in snow, and tap tap tap to stop rather than STOP in one big brake (it will kill your brake pads faster than processing an immigration file).

RefugeeHelp1

May 23, 2019
Category........
Other
They you have nothing to worry about, you are not the 1st person to get a ticket while waiting for PR and once you are not doing it over and over then no need to worry

Good luck