+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Does port of landing matter for Federal PR approve folks

prakash419

Apr 2, 2017
I have PPR for federal PR, have sent the passport and expect to get the passport back in 1-2 weeks. I am planning to drive to Canada from US. I am wondering whether the port of entry/landing matters? I am going to do job search in Toronto, Ottawa, Vancouver and Montreal. Having federal PR I am free to move work or land anywhere in Canada and am not bound to any province right? or am I mistaken? thanks a lot.

dr feras

Champion Member
Jan 27, 2013
I have PPR for federal PR, have sent the passport and expect to get the passport back in 1-2 weeks. I am planning to drive to Canada from US. I am wondering whether the port of entry/landing matters? I am going to do job search in Toronto, Ottawa, Vancouver and Montreal. Having federal PR I am free to move work or land anywhere in Canada and am not bound to any province right? or am I mistaken? thanks a lot.
Everywhere except Quebec.

Reactions: prakash419

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Well you shouldnt do your landing and tell the officer you intend to reside in the province of Quebec.

Other than that it doesnt matter.

prakash419

Apr 2, 2017
Thank you so much guys, Quebec does not accept the federal PR? only their own provincial PR? And that means I cannot work or reside in Montreal ever? I guess if/when I get Citizenship of Canada then I can or would there be restriction even then?

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you so much guys, Quebec does not accept the federal PR? only their own provincial PR? And that means I cannot work or reside in Montreal ever? I guess if/when I get Citizenship of Canada then I can or would there be restriction even then?
They have their own immigration system, once you're a PR you're free to reside anywhere but like I said your final destination for your landing should not be Quebec.

prakash419

Apr 2, 2017
They have their own immigration system, once you're a PR you're free to reside anywhere but like I said your final destination for your landing should not be Quebec.
thanks. And when I get the passport back and do the landing, can i go to Montreal for visiting the city? or would I need a tourist visa to visit Montreal (Quebec)?

prakash419

Apr 2, 2017
After you complete landing, you can settle in Montreal too...
Thanks Maverick. I am bot confused here (will try to do research rather than bothering you guys). So you mean once I do the landing, then I can do a job search in Montreal and work/settle there as well? It is just that I have to land somewhere else?