+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Does my Wife need a Work Visa if she has a TRV and an Open Work Permit?

a_a_d

Sep 8, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,
My wife came to Canada in Feb 2015 as a visitor and I applied for her Open Work Permit after sometime. She now has an Open Work Permit for the same duration as my own work permit. I wanted to know if I have to apply for a work visa for her as well? Or will she be able to travel to and from Canada on the visit visa she has (Multiple Entry valid till June 2018).

Thanks.

jubear

May 1, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
a_a_d said:
Hi,
My wife came to Canada in Feb 2015 as a visitor and I applied for her Open Work Permit after sometime. She now has an Open Work Permit for the same duration as my own work permit. I wanted to know if I have to apply for a work visa for her as well? Or will she be able to travel to and from Canada on the visit visa she has (Multiple Entry valid till June 2018).

Thanks.
A_a_d,

No, she doesn't need a work visa. Your wife already has an open work permit (OWP) that allows her to work. If she wants to travel outside Canada, then her multiple temporary resident visa (TRV) does just that. Precisely, a TRV is for travelling and being able to return to Canada, whereas the OWP is for legal work in Canada.

So, absolutely nothing to worry about. All the best.

Cheers!