+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Does my 6 month visitor visa restart if i go over the border?

Jaspalk

Jun 26, 2018
I am from the UK and i came over to Canada in November 2017, according to this my 6 months entry expired in may and i should have returned back to the UK.

my question is: if i had drove to Seattle in February 2018, when i came back into Canada did my 6 month entry restart? as i left the country and came back to Canada. If this is not true then i am 2 months over and will need to apply for a "restoration of status" in which im allowed to do as long as im within 90 days after my expiry.

if its true that it restarts then im allowed to be here till august.

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
I am from the UK and i came over to Canada in November 2017, according to this my 6 months entry expired in may and i should have returned back to the UK.

my question is: if i had drove to Seattle in February 2018, when i came back into Canada did my 6 month entry restart? as i left the country and came back to Canada. If this is not true then i am 2 months over and will need to apply for a "restoration of status" in which im allowed to do as long as im within 90 days after my expiry.

if its true that it restarts then im allowed to be here till august.
If you did not get a stamp with an expiry in February, then yes, you can stay till August.

If you were granted a shorter stay, then there should be a stamp in your passport with how long you are allowed to stay.

Jaspalk

Jun 26, 2018
If you did not get a stamp with an expiry in February, then yes, you can stay till August.

If you were granted a shorter stay, then there should be a stamp in your passport with how long you are allowed to stay.
to be honest i cant even see a stamp in my passport for when i came to canada in november. so this is really confusing, i dont think we can see a stamp for when we came back to canada after drivig to seattle. when i came to canada the first time in november i think i was told i can stay for 6 months but there is not stamp in my passport that tells me an expiry.

But in theory if i was allowed here for 6 months and i went over the border for a few hours, then i assume that the day i came to canada should start from that day...?

dhillon

Jul 4, 2008
But in theory if i was allowed here for 6 months and i went over the border for a few hours, then i assume that the day i came to canada should start from that day...?
No, it does not work that way. Sounds like you were only able to stay until May. They don't renew the entry while crossing the border by car.

Jaspalk

Jun 26, 2018
No, it does not work that way. Sounds like you were only able to stay until May. They don't renew the entry while crossing the border by car.
right, i guess that makes sense. This is all to do with my PR papers, i guess i will just apply for restoration of status and pay the fee and send the paperwork explaining why im still here. its like $200 as long as you are within 90 days after your entry has expired. Thanks for your help.

DavEd

Star Member
Mar 15, 2018
Incorrect... when OP crossed the boarder into the states their initial stay ended...

When they came back and presented themselves to CBSA and were allowed entry... in the absence of a stamp with a date in OP’s passport then they were allowed in on a new stay that is 6 months long....

Jaspalk

Jun 26, 2018
Incorrect... when OP crossed the boarder into the states their initial stay ended...

When they came back and presented themselves to CBSA and were allowed entry... in the absence of a stamp with a date in OP’s passport then they were allowed in on a new stay that is 6 months long....
That you for replying. see thats what i thought. i just wish there was something online from the Canada immigration site where it states this so i have it as a backup. if there is anywhere that you know of that says this that would be great and thank you for the reply.

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Totally depends on what the CBSA officer decided on your interview. If it was a few hours, then likely no.