+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Does lost passport mean RQ?/ how long it takes now?

hmirzaei

Star Member
Jul 14, 2016
I lost my passport in 2014 after only one year of using it. Have a police report as well.

Does this mean RQ 100%?

I have my test in 2 weeks. What should I carry with myself?

All the dates I entered match with CBSA record that was sent with my application with a cover letter, except one missing exit (in my missing passport period) for which I included flight itinerary and visa card statements.

I am very worried!

Last edited:

razerblade

VIP Member
Feb 21, 2014
I lost my passport in 2014 after only one year of using it. Have a police report as well.

Does this mean RQ 100%?

I have my test in 2 weeks. What should I carry with myself?

All the dates I entered match with CBSA record that was sent with my application with a cover letter, except one missing exit (in my missing passport period) for which I included flight itinerary and visa card statements.

I am very worried!
IMO, it would depend on the officer. Don't stress over it. I would recommend to take the police report with you.

btbt

Feb 26, 2018
No, it's not 100% certain that a missing passport causes RQ or RQ-Lite.
Yes, it's possible, but not guaranteed.

You've provided evidence of the loss, you've provided the CBSA record (if you have a copy - take it to your interview), and you've got extra proof for that one missing date of departure. The fact you've ensured they have all this information may mean they will believe your physical presence calculation and documentation to be accurate (and that it matches the records they have access to). If that's the case you won't be asked for additional information.

(Take the CBSA record if you have it, the police report, and the travel stubs. Only present the extra information if/when they asked for it; no point overwhelming the officer with documents they may not need to see)

If they want you to prove your presence they may ask for additional information. That is not fun, as it's more administrative hassle, but even then there's no reason to panic. It's not a denial of your application, and depending on what exactly they want it may not even slow your application down much. No point stressing out over a request that may not even happen...

NewUser2018

Jun 15, 2017
just why not renew it now, if it's not possible to renew your passport get ready your birth certificate and police report as proof. RQ is request is 50/50 if there is no passport with you and haven't explained why you can't or don't passport with you.
for example refugees from war torn countries like Syria and Somalia with no embassy or consulate in canada are exempt from passport given they explain why don't have passport but they to explain on Citizenship app and so RQ will not required.

hmirzaei

Star Member
Jul 14, 2016
just why not renew it now, if it's not possible to renew your passport get ready your birth certificate and police report as proof. RQ is request is 50/50 if there is no passport with you and haven't explained why you can't or don't passport with you.
for example refugees from war torn countries like Syria and Somalia with no embassy or consulate in canada are exempt from passport given they explain why don't have passport but they to explain on Citizenship app and so RQ will not required.

I have my newer passport in hand, just the previous one was lost and I got the replacement in 2014.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Missing passport tends to invite some questions, potential concerns. It is considered an important piece of evidence. And the lack of evidence tends to hurt the party with the burden of proof, the burden of presenting the evidence. That is, the applicant.

But as @btbt observed, the impact can vary widely. The impact can range from having very little impact, no problem at all, to causing IRCC to have serious questions or even suspicions.

As @btbt also observed, in effect, the impact can depend on how strong your case is otherwise.

Standing alone, without other negative influences, and particularly if the margin of presence is substantial and the applicant has a strong work history in Canada, my sense is that there is a good chance a passport lost and replaced nearly four years ago will NOT be much if at all problematic. This depends, of course, on other factors and how solid the applicant's case is otherwise.

A lot can depend on factors such as:
-- the length of time (within the eligibility period) for which the missing passport could have been used (less is better; more tends toward problematic)
-- when it could have been used relative to claimed presence in Canada (if, for example, most of the time present in Canada has occurred since the passport was properly reported lost, the lost passport is less relevant, less likely to be an issue)
-- any indication of undisclosed travel or signs of travel indicating use of some undisclosed travel document (basically, if IRCC sees evidence that the applicant was using some other travel document, which could be the reported lost passport, obviously that will raise concerns)
-- any reasons for questioning the applicant's credibility

Note, any applicant, no matter how perfect the application, can be issued RQ. It can happen. It does happen. There is NO guaranteed way to for-sure avoid RQ. So, a somewhat elevated risk of RQ is manageable. Just be prepared for it if it happens.

In particular, while RQ is dreaded, for good reasons, it does not necessarily mean it will be difficult for the application to succeed. Moreover, there are less intrusive possibilities, like RQ-lite and a request for just a few additional documents. Not all RQ'd cases take an extraordinary long time. If the applicant timely responds and well-documents the applicant's address and work history, and otherwise provides information and documentation supporting the case, the application can proceed timely through the process to the oath.

Note that not all RQ'd cases are equal: sometimes IRCC is merely doing due diligence in verifying the applicant's qualifications; that sort of case tends to go more smoothly and quickly than, say, a case where RQ has been issued because IRCC has overt suspicions about the applicant's time in Canada.

While there are exceptions (as forum whining well documents), generally there is a reason why applications run into more serious problems. Meaning, if the applicant is qualified, follows the instructions, provides the required information, and especially for applicants with a strong work history, the process almost always goes smoothly and without much delay . . . EVEN IF THERE IS A WRINKLE OR TWO, such as a missing passport (subject to factors such as those referenced above). IRCC tends to figure things out. A lot better than many give credit.

(Caveat: "without much delay" is relative. There seems to be an extraordinary number of forum participants of late who see six months as an extraordinary long process. Many are likely to be disappointed. My sense is that a total timeline of six to eight months is still well within what should be anticipated for most even though some do make it through more quickly, and thus for any non-routine process along the way, any timeline less than a full year would be, relative to the history of citizenship application processing, without much delay.)

Reactions: hmirzaei

hmirzaei

Star Member
Jul 14, 2016
Update:

Today I passed the test and interview went well. Do I still need to be worried about getting RQ?
The officer said everything looks fine and I have no concern and just need to look at your extra docs.

Last edited:

hmirzaei

Star Member
Jul 14, 2016
Thank u guys!

Does the interviewing officer make the decision (to approve or to RQ) or it is decided by the judge?

vancouverbc2013

Sep 20, 2013
Hey guys!! I am in desperate need of advice as well!
I came to Vancouver as student in 2007 and got PR2013. I have been working in van ever since.
By late sep17 I moved to Montreal looking for getter jobs since I speak both languages.
I applied in OCT17 passed my exam feb18 and interview was pretty smooth.
Couple weeks ago I hate cit 0520RQ (passport, contract, rents and taxes) to b submitted.
I did all that and sent it last wed.
Any thoughts you guys pls??
I really don’t understand y they r suspicious! I have all the proof they can imagine!!!! Never had any glitch with any law!!
You guys think it’s gana takes months? Can they still “deny” by mistake/wrong decision?
Like what I don’t understand is don’t they know everything about us already? I don’t see how I can tell them about myself more then must already have in their systems.
When I applied for nexus few year back got it with no issues at all!!
Thanks everyone.

arise

Star Member
Feb 18, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CHC, Islamabad
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-11-2011
Doc's Request.
15-12-2011
Nomination.....
02-02-2012
AOR Received.
13-04-2012
IELTS Request
NA
Med's Request
26-06-2013
Med's Done....
26-07-2013, Received on 15-08-2013, in process 30/10/2013
Passport Req..
(new born medical + RPRF + Passport request) all received on 5-11-2013, Decision made on 25/11/2013
VISA ISSUED...
04/12/2013
LANDED..........
14/1/2014
Update:

Today I passed the test and interview went well. Do I still need to be worried about getting RQ?
The officer said everything looks fine and I have no concern and just need to look at your extra docs.
Hello @hmirzaei ,

Can you please share your interview experience in a bit detail? It would help me and many others who are in similar situation. Did the officer ask you about the detail of loss passport and did he/she requested any particular documents during the interveiw? My interveiw is coming soon- so i would like to take any documents that would help.

Thanks,

Arise

hmirzaei

Star Member
Jul 14, 2016
Hello @hmirzaei ,

Can you please share your interview experience in a bit detail? It would help me and many others who are in similar situation. Did the officer ask you about the detail of loss passport and did he/she requested any particular documents during the interveiw? My interveiw is coming soon- so i would like to take any documents that would help.

Thanks,

Arise
I took police report, and lots of bank statements, my school records, letters from school and work with myself. I was very prepared for every single date that I had in my cic day calculator for the whole 5 year period.

She was more interested in police report. And some of the dates in the period my pass was lost. Key is being honest with them.

She said everything looks fine. Now I am hoping I will get the decision soon.