+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Does Landlord has the right to keep his mailing address on the rented unit?

ana.vevo

May 21, 2013
Hi,
I have a friend who officially rented out a townhouse since two years in Mississauga, On. No other tenant shares the unit with her. However, she is still receiving mail from various senders for the landlord, his wife, and his child. Some of the mail come from Revenue Canada, and some other government entities. She kept on passing on these envelops to him, out of her courtesy.
When she mentioned this to me, I advised her on discontinuing this practice, in order to avoid hiccups when CIC process her citizenship case, as she wants to prove that the address she stays in belongs only to her not to others (especially the landlord), but she is not convinced. She claims that she asked about this and was told that it is ok for the landlord to keep his mailing address on his rented out property, which I logically find "not right"! Still, I need to have an expert opinion on this matter. Any reference to the law, if available, would be great!

All expert opinions are really welcomed and deeply appreciated.
Plz help.

Cheers,
Ana

Hasher

Apr 2, 2010
In my opinion if Landlord is receiving mail with her consent then there is no harm or I don't know if there is any law that says one cannot receive the mail at the address other than where one lives. There are many Government applications forms that ask/ accept for resident and mailing address separately. If mailing address can be different than one lives actually, then why not Landlord can do this.

However, also in my opinion Landlord do not have any right to do so unless tenant agree to it and understand that landlord will not use his address for some wrong purpose.

ana.vevo

May 21, 2013
Hasher said:
In my opinion if Landlord is receiving mail with her consent then there is no harm or I don't know if there is any law that says one cannot receive the mail at the address other than where one lives. There are many Government applications forms that ask/ accept for resident and mailing address separately. If mailing address can be different than one lives actually, then why not Landlord can do this.

However, also in my opinion Landlord do not have any right to do so unless tenant agree to it and understand that landlord will not use his address for some wrong purpose.
Thanks Hasher for your opinion. However, my argument for my friend to have a clear address without sharing same with whomsoever. She needs to have such clearance to avoid issues on her actual stay in Cda.
I believe she has the right to ask landlord to change his mailing address or else she stops passing on his mail.
Don't you agree guys?
However, I do not have any supporting evidence, nor I claim that I understand the landlord-tenant relationship dynamics in this country!
My question is still seeking an answer..
I'd like to hear from our senior members.. could you plz shed some light on this?

Cheers,
Ana

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
The main question is whether she has a problem with it or not? She should call the Tenancy Board in her city and find out.