+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Does getting SIN automatically makes you a tax resident?

Cat15

Jul 20, 2011
Hi All,

My agent told me that i need to complete three things once I land...get PR card, apply for SIN and open a bank account. Does getting a SIN makes me a tax resident?

Thanks,

Cat

TyrusX

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-01-2012
Doc's Request.
sent with application
AOR Received.
First: -03-2012
IELTS Request
sent with application

Cat15

Jul 20, 2011
Thanks TyrusX!

I will not really be staying fo good in Canada once I land. Planning to stay just for a month with my cousin they go back to Dubai for work. I am trying to avoid getting taxed while I am still outside Canada. I plan to have residential ties once i am ready to settle in Canada for good. In my case do I need to get a SIN immediately after landing and before I go back to Dubai or can I just get my SIN once I am ready to settle in Canada for good.

TyrusX

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-01-2012
Doc's Request.
sent with application
AOR Received.
IELTS Request
sent with application
If you don't make any money. You don't have taxes to pay. I believe that is how it works anywhere.

Alabaman

Apr 24, 2009
Edmonton
Visa Office......
Edmonton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Cat15 said:
Hi All,

My agent told me that i need to complete three things once I land...get PR card, apply for SIN and open a bank account. Does getting a SIN makes me a tax resident?

Thanks,

Cat
Nope.

Even if you have the SIN you don't have to pay taxes in Canada if you don't reside in Canada and you don't have certain ties to Canada.

TyrusX

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-01-2012
Doc's Request.
sent with application
AOR Received.
IELTS Request
sent with application
Alabaman said:
Nope.

Even if you have the SIN you don't have to pay taxes in Canada if you don't reside in Canada and you don't have certain ties to Canada.
Thanks for clarifying that.

Cat15

Jul 20, 2011
Alabaman said:
Nope.

Thanks Alabaman. ;D

agrisiva

Nov 8, 2008
Instead of giving my own opinion I would like to direct you to the CRA documents....you may have to spend some time reading these documents rather than relying on some forum answers.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/nnrsdnts/ndvdls/nnrs-eng.html

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pub/tg/t4131/README.html

dcpaley

Jun 28, 2010
Ontario Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you take up residency (i.e. apply for PR status, get a SIN) you're resident for tax purposes. You may be a resident if you happen to be in the country for 183 days in a year.