+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Does custom check if people stay 730 days within the past 5 years each time they enter into Canada?

Nov 16, 2017
My friend just renewed her pr card in April. Now she has her new pr card and old pr card.

Her old pr card is valid from 2018-10-01 to 2013-11-29
She got her new pr card on Jul 10th 2023 and this new card will get expired on Jul 3rd, 2028

Now she is in United States and planned to drive back to Canada on Nov 3rd 2023.
If the custom checks the how days if she has stayed for the past 5 years then she just stayed 715 days between Nov 3rd 2018 - Nov 3rd 2023
1. Does custom check the days each time the person enters into Canada? In my friend's case can she enter into Canada by using the new card or old card?
2. Can she use her old card to enter into Canada. Is there any rules on CIC saying that if the new PR card is issued then the old card is automatically expired within 60 days.
3. Actually my friend's brother brought her the new PR card from Canada while my friend was in United States in July 2023. Is it allowed to do this?
4. In my friend's case, is it better to use her old card to enter or the new card?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My friend just renewed her pr card in April. Now she has her new pr card and old pr card.

She got her new pr card on Jul 10th 2023 and this new card will get expired on Jul 3rd, 2028

Now she is in United States and planned to drive back to Canada on Nov 3rd 2023.
If the custom checks the how days if she has stayed for the past 5 years then she just stayed 715 days between Nov 3rd 2018 - Nov 3rd 2023
1. Does custom check the days each time the person enters into Canada? In my friend's case can she enter into Canada by using the new card or old card?
2. Can she use her old card to enter into Canada. Is there any rules on CIC saying that if the new PR card is issued then the old card is automatically expired within 60 days.
3. Actually my friend's brother brought her the new PR card from Canada while my friend was in United States in July 2023. Is it allowed to do this?
4. In my friend's case, is it better to use her old card to enter or the new card?
New card. I brought my in-laws their new PR cards too and they returned back to Canada with no issues.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015

1. They might check, they might not. Makes no difference whether new or old card although they are perhaps more likely to check if the old card is expired. It's almost certain the old card has been cancelled by now.
2. I've seen the instructions and yes, old cards are supposed to be cancelled 60 days after.
3. Basically yes.
4. The new card.

Reactions: YVR123

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Would just add that the old PR card should have been destroyed as soon as the new PR card was delivered. While IRCC prefers the card be at least cut in half, a good hole punched through the numbers on the card should be sufficient (some people like to keep such things as a memorial of sorts).

Odds of being screened for Residency Obligation compliance upon arrival at the Port-of-Entry, when displaying a new PR card, should be quite low. But as @armoured commented, that might or might not happen. Issuance of new PR card within a routine processing time frame suggests no flags in GCMS, which would also suggest the likelihood of RO screening at the PoE should be quite low.

In the meantime, however, CBSA's capture of PR travel data, including dates of exit from Canada, is continually increasing, while at the same time it is clear that IRCC is in the processing of implementing more automated decision making technology employing what they refer to as "advanced analytics" incorporating "machine learning technology," which many consider to be a kind of AI (Artificial Intelligence), so it can be assumed that at some point the computer will automatically generate alerts in GCMS for PRs identified as outside Canada more than 1095 days within the preceding five years. This, in turn, could trigger more PoE RO compliance examinations for many PRs easily waived through in the past. This is likely to happen without notice to the public, so most of us will not know about it until it becomes apparent in anecdotal reporting. Even when the system self-generates such alerts (assuming that is coming), however, hard to guess what the criteria will be for triggering RO compliance examinations, whether being short at all, even just a couple weeks or a month, will trigger screening.