+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

does common law allow to travel from canada to US, how can I?

acer925

Star Member
Jan 1, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If my gf sponsor's me for common law using outside application, does that allow me to travel back and forth (U.S.)? As of now, my visitor visa expires nov.31. They extended it past 6 months so we could apply for common law. Thanks

AmericaninQuebec

Oct 12, 2011
Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-02-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
05-12-2011
VISA ISSUED...
15-12-2011
LANDED..........
11-01-2012
You can't make the application under common law status until you have lived together for 12 months. Once you have if you make an out-land application then yes, you would be able to travel back and forth in the sense that it doesn't affect your application.

pinklady

Champion Member
Jan 13, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-12-2010
Passport Req..
28-02-2011
LANDED..........
09-04-2011
Yes, If you are a US citizen and you apply outland through Buffalo you can come and go as you please.

You need to live together for 12 consecutive months before you're eligible as common law. Have you applied already to extend your stay as a visitor?

acer925

Star Member
Jan 1, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
pinklady said:
Yes, If you are a US citizen and you apply outland through Buffalo you can come and go as you please.

You need to live together for 12 consecutive months before you're eligible as common law. Have you applied already to extend your stay as a visitor?
It has been 13 months now, so do we just apply for common law or do I also have to apply to extend my stay? How long after we apply for common law can I freely travel back and forth? Will they give me a new expiry date on my visa? Thanks

AmericaninQuebec

Oct 12, 2011
Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-02-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
05-12-2011
VISA ISSUED...
15-12-2011
LANDED..........
11-01-2012
acer925 said:
It has been 13 months now, so do we just apply for common law or do I also have to apply to extend my stay? How long after we apply for common law can I freely travel back and forth? Will they give me a new expiry date on my visa? Thanks
You can apply right now if you have been living together 13 months. You will still have to renew your visitor status though, as you still have to maintain a legal status in the country while you're waiting on your PR. Your application does nothing to your status until the day you land with your PR.

acer925

Star Member
Jan 1, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AmericaninQuebec said:
You can apply right now if you have been living together 13 months. You will still have to renew your visitor status though, as you still have to maintain a legal status in the country while you're waiting on your PR. Your application does nothing to your status until the day you land with your PR.
How do I renew my visitor's status, just by applying for another extension? I guess I should say the reason is because I'm waiting for PR and would like to be able to travel back and forth in the meantime? Thanks.

AmericaninQuebec

Oct 12, 2011
Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-02-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
05-12-2011
VISA ISSUED...
15-12-2011
LANDED..........
11-01-2012
acer925 said:
How do I renew my visitor's status, just by applying for another extension? I guess I should say the reason is because I'm waiting for PR and would like to be able to travel back and forth in the meantime? Thanks.
You can apply for an extension of your visitor record (Americans don't need visas to visit Canada, so I assume you have a visitor record instead) online, though I've never done it that way so I don't have the address. I have heard you need to do it 30 days in advance. I personally have just gone to the border and done it that way (but I'm fairly close). Yes, I tell them that I have submitted by PR application (or before I had, that I was in the process of gathering the paperwork - I had to bring copies that time to prove that I was really doing it) and that I am staying with my spouse while I wait for my PR to be issued. You would say the same thing, though that you're staying with your common-law spouse.

Just to be clear, the visitor record does not promise or guarantee you entry into Canada. It simply helps them keep track of you and could help facilitate your future border crossings. You don't need it to cross the border while you await your PR (you are allowed to leave Canada, or not be here at all if you do an out-land application). The visitor record is just further proof that you have been legally admitted as a visitor in Canada up to a certain date.