+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Does attaining a 1-year-long postgraduate degree from within Canada improve my chances?

LoneEarthling

Star Member
Mar 30, 2017
Hi all!

I have a total of 16 years of education in engineering, but no work experience.
Can anyone please be kind enough to break down the general (not provincial nominational) immigration process to me in simple English? Especially if attaining a 1-year-long postgraduate certificate/diploma from Canada improves my candidature?

Following is the rudimentary information but let me know if more is required. I am essentially seeking an initial friendly consultancy.

• 16 years of education (BE Mechatronics Engineering)
  • No work experience at all (Why else do you think I am considering moving and seeking a relatively better future. :()
  • I can score above 7 in IELTS overall and at least 6.5 per module. I can even work for a bit higher like 7.5 and am just leaving a leeway here.
  • I am young enough to get the maximum age points/benefit. (26 years of age).
  • I am not married. (Apparently that sometimes helps, but I am not yet).
I understand that currently I am not eligible at all. But if I get a postgraduate diploma from a recognized Canadian university/college in Industrial/Manufacturing/Mechanical or any other relevant engineering discipline; then does it improve my chances.

I have come across some responses that suggest that this might be possible especially if I do some part-time work during that time period and submit my application the very day I graduate.

Several people at this forum are very well-aware of all various application streams and processes.
What do you guys think o_O?

Please give a detailed response.
Thanks.

AmirHNK

Nov 6, 2015
Canada
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Passport Req..
16-05-2017
It will help if you do graduate studies. This way you may be able to receive full funding for your studies while in Canada. Also, Graduate studies can give you higher educational points plus 30 additional points for having done a post-secondary degree in Canada.

However, you always need to have at least 1 year of related work experience to be eligible for any immigration stream. If you move to Canada and study here, given you find a job and work for a year, then in addition to all the points for Canadian education, you will get additional 50 points for skill transferability factor.

Please see the following link for more information. Keep in mind that CIC may update the points system anytime so check regularly for updates:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/express-entry/grid-crs.asp

Good luck!

LoneEarthling

Star Member
Mar 30, 2017
It will help if you do graduate studies. This way you may be able to receive full funding for your studies while in Canada. Also, Graduate studies can give you higher educational points plus 30 additional points for having done a post-secondary degree in Canada.

However, you always need to have at least 1 year of related work experience to be eligible for any immigration stream. If you move to Canada and study here, given you find a job and work for a year, then in addition to all the points for Canadian education, you will get additional 50 points for skill transferability factor.

Please see the following link for more information. Keep in mind that CIC may update the points system anytime so check regularly for updates:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/express-entry/grid-crs.asp

Good luck!

Hi, Thanks for the reply.

By Graduate Studies, do you mean a complete Master's program (2-years-long)?
I don't understand how I will be able to receive full funding for my studies, while being a non-Canadian?

I have already been beating my brains out at the link you mentioned :(. No where does it mention the minimum points required to qualify. The threshold, I mean.

If I may please bother you with a few more queries:

1. Does part-time work during studies count towards work experience?
2. After a 1-year program, how long of a work permit does one get?
3. Let's say I get a 1-year PGD in Mechanical Engineering, then apply for a work permit, get it, but end up getting a job as a Web Developer* or a Front-End Developer*. Will this employment be accepted by CIC because it still falls in the NOC "A" or "B" or "0"?

Thank you again for your time. I am just a little too pedantic about these bureaucratic matters and I believe it's better to ask today than to lose tomorrow.

* - It's possible because I have quite a experience in software development as a hobbyist at least and these jobs are the most in-demand almost everywhere in Canada.

AmirHNK

Nov 6, 2015
Canada
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Passport Req..
16-05-2017
Hi, Thanks for the reply. ...
Hi, Thanks for the reply.

By Graduate Studies, do you mean a complete Master's program (2-years-long)? Yes
I don't understand how I will be able to receive full funding for my studies, while being a non-Canadian? I don't know of any foreign graduate student who paid their expenses during their studies from their own pockets. They always get funding with their admissions.

I have already been beating my brains out at the link you mentioned :(. No where does it mention the minimum points required to qualify. The threshold, I mean.

Eligibility:
- Occupation must be listed on NOC (National Occupation Classification) List& must fall in skill type O (Management Professionals), A (Skilled Professionals) & B (Skilled Trades Professionals) only.
- 1 year consecutive work experience in the recent 10 years from any of these skilled occupation.
- Must meet “67/100” points in the Six Selection Factor point system (given for Age, Education, Experience, IELTS, Spouse IELTS & Adaptability etc.,
If the applicant meets the above set requirement, he/she can (is eligible to) enter the new migration system for Canada initiated on Jan-1st-2015 called “Express Entry” pool.

Six Selection Factors for Federal Skilled Worker
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/apply-factors.asp

Determine your eligibility:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/ctc-vac/getting-started.asp

Express Entry Points Calculator
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/crs-tool.asp

If I may please bother you with a few more queries:

1. Does part-time work during studies count towards work experience? If in Canada on a study permit: NO. If outside Canada: YES if it was continuous and at least for total of 1560 hours
2. After a 1-year program, how long of a work permit does one get? 1 year study may make you eligible for 1 year open work permit. However if you do a 2 year or more grad studies, you will be eligible to apply for a 3 year work permit after your studies.
3. Let's say I get a 1-year PGD in Mechanical Engineering, then apply for a work permit, get it, but end up getting a job as a Web Developer* or a Front-End Developer*. Will this employment be accepted by CIC because it still falls in the NOC "A" or "B" or "0"? YES

Thank you again for your time. I am just a little too pedantic about these bureaucratic matters and I believe it's better to ask today than to lose tomorrow.

* - It's possible because I have quite a experience in software development as a hobbyist at least and these jobs are the most in-demand almost everywhere in Canada.

Last edited:
Reactions: LoneEarthling