+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Does attaining a 1-year-long postgraduate certificate/diploma from within Canada improve my chances?

LoneEarthling

Star Member
Mar 30, 2017
Hi all!

I have a total of 16 years of education in engineering, but no work experience.
Can anyone please be kind enough to break down the general (not provincial nominational) immigration process to me in simple English? Especially if attaining a 1-year-long postgraduate certificate/diploma from Canada improves my candidature?

Following is the rudimentary information but let me know if more is required. I am essentially seeking an initial friendly consultancy.

• 16 years of education (BE Mechatronics Engineering)
  • No work experience at all (Why else do you think I am considering moving and seeking a relatively better future. :()
  • I can score above 7 in IELTS overall and at least 6.5 per module. I can even work for a bit higher like 7.5 and am just leaving a leeway here.
  • I am young enough to get the maximum age points/benefit. (26 years of age).
  • I am not married. (Apparently that sometimes helps, but I am not yet).
I understand that currently I am not eligible at all. But if I get a postgraduate diploma from a recognized Canadian university/college in Industrial/Manufacturing/Mechanical or any other relevant engineering discipline; then does it improve my chances.

I have come across some responses that suggest that this might be possible especially if I do some part-time work during that time period and submit my application the very day I graduate.

Several people at this forum are very well-aware of all various application streams and processes.
What do you guys think o_O?

Please give a detailed response.
Thanks.