+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Documents Translation and Notarization

kennethnyu

Mar 11, 2019
Hi everyone,

So my birth certificate is not with me in Canada right now, they're back in my home country in Indonesia (in Indonesian language).

To prove my sibling relationship, I am planning to use our birth certificates which shows that we have the same parents.

I will be requesting my family for scans of the birth certificate.

Should my next steps be:
Option 1.) Have my family translate them to english, notarize and send me a scanned pdf.
Option 2.) Have my family translate them to english and send it to me, then notarize it in Canada myself.
Option 3.) Have my family send it to me in Indonesian, then get it translated and notarized here in Canada (official notary or consulate?)

Thanks!

Peacekeeper87

Champion Member
Jul 18, 2018
NOC Code......
Hi everyone,

So my birth certificate is not with me in Canada right now, they're back in my home country in Indonesia (in Indonesian language).

To prove my sibling relationship, I am planning to use our birth certificates which shows that we have the same parents.

I will be requesting my family for scans of the birth certificate.

Should my next steps be:
Option 1.) Have my family translate them to english, notarize and send me a scanned pdf.
Option 2.) Have my family translate them to english and send it to me, then notarize it in Canada myself.
Option 3.) Have my family send it to me in Indonesian, then get it translated and notarized here in Canada (official notary or consulate?)

Thanks!
Option 1. Good Option. As you only need scanned versions for EE.
Option 2. I Doubt you can notarize a translated document which was made outside Canada. Wouldn't do that.
Option 3. Best Option, as you won't need affidavit if it's a certified translator inside Canada. Plus many of them will be familiar with immigration processes. Just make sure you use a trusted courier service (FedEx, UPS...).

kennethnyu

Mar 11, 2019
Option 1. Good Option. As you only need scanned versions for EE.
Option 2. I Doubt you can notarize a translated document which was made outside Canada. Wouldn't do that.
Option 3. Best Option, as you won't need affidavit if it's a certified translator inside Canada. Plus many of them will be familiar with immigration processes. Just make sure you use a trusted courier service (FedEx, UPS...).
Thank you for your feedback! It seems I will go with option 3, asking for a scanned pdf, and then hopefully get it translated and notarized by one of Googles top results of "Ontario translate and notarization".

Peacekeeper87

Champion Member
Jul 18, 2018
NOC Code......
Thank you for your feedback! It seems I will go with option 3, asking for a scanned pdf, and then hopefully get it translated and notarized by one of Googles top results of "Ontario translate and notarization".
If you go with Option 3, that means you'll have your family send you the original documents to you in Canada, from Indonesia.

kennethnyu

Mar 11, 2019
If you go with Option 3, that means you'll have your family send you the original documents to you in Canada, from Indonesia.
Thanks for your answer! It seems I will be going with having an Indonesian birth certificate (with English translation already) scanned to me, then get a Certified Translation here.

Peacekeeper87

Champion Member
Jul 18, 2018
NOC Code......
Thanks for your answer! It seems I will be going with having an Indonesian birth certificate (with English translation already) scanned to me, then get a Certified Translation here.
You're welcome. That's not the right thing to do but sure...
Certifying the translation in Canada is useless. If translation will be made in Indonesia, you need an affidavit from the translator there.
Doing the translation, and simply just giving it to someone else in Canada to supposedly certifying it is a huge risk. The original translator still needs to give you an affidavit.