+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Documents required for Spousal sponsorship

FrustratedPRApplicant

Star Member
Apr 3, 2021
Hello,

I want to sponsor my wife from India to Canada on PR. I'm a permanent resident and already reside in Canada. We were both divorced and recently got married after spending some time getting to know each other over a long distance. I sponsored my previous spouse on a spousal work permit as I also had a work permit. I would like to know what documentation I must provide to IRCC. I'm aware of the following but if I've missed anything please let me know.

• Spouse Passport
  • My Permanent Residency proof(Card and COPR)
  • My financial statements
  • Job letter
  • Her Police Clearance Certificate
  • Letter of sponsorship stating that she is my responsibility
  • Both of our Divorce certificates
  • Her biometrics and Medical(Post application submission)
    • Can she get her medical done beforehand?
Any assistance will be appreciated.

Thanks

nitin240378

Nov 25, 2010
New Delhi - India
Category........
Visa Office......
new Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Done....
28th April 2103
Interview........
Waived off
Passport Req..
28th April 2018
VISA ISSUED...
15 July 2013
LANDED..........
landing on 2nd May
Hi Everyone - I need help for a document.... I recently got married in India and My spouse do not have Birth Certificate. She tried to get from the place of birth but not able to get it. Is there any alternative document I can submit.

Kaibigan

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2020
Hello,

I want to sponsor my wife from India to Canada on PR. I'm a permanent resident and already reside in Canada. We were both divorced and recently got married after spending some time getting to know each other over a long distance. I sponsored my previous spouse on a spousal work permit as I also had a work permit. I would like to know what documentation I must provide to IRCC. ...
I am not trying to be difficult, but really, not the best plan to ask such a broad question here. To make a spousal sponsorship and PR application there are detailed forms and instructions on the IRCC website. Included is a "Document Checklist" which will identify each and every document needed.

My wife and I recently went through the process, but I cannot recall each and every document we had to provide. I would have to consult the checklist to answer your question and, even then, not all applications are the same. There are "country specific" requirements, etc.

If, after you have taken time to study all the IRCC sets out online, then come back here with specific questions and you will get help.

As for medical, no, your wife cannot do it beforehand. She must wait until after the application has gone through the first steps, then she will get a letter telling her it's time to go for medical.

Kaibigan

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2020
Hi Everyone - I need help for a document.... I recently got married in India and My spouse do not have Birth Certificate. She tried to get from the place of birth but not able to get it. Is there any alternative document I can submit.
The IRCC checklist will require a birth certificate. It will also tell you that, if there is any document you do not send with your application, you must set out an explanation for its absence.

You say your wife "tried" to get a bc. How hard did she try? What steps did she take? I would guess the IRCC would want to know these things. They are unlikely to accept at face value that you tried and are therefore excused from the requirement. I would expect you would have to show a nigh impossibility, despite prodigious efforts.

Does your wife have a passport? If yes, how did she get it without a birth certificate?

Last edited:

FrustratedPRApplicant

Star Member
Apr 3, 2021
Hi @Kaibigan,

I was previously married but ended up getting a divorce. During that period, I was on a work permit and I sponsored my ex-wife on the Spousal work permit. Would that count as an undertaking? Or are undertakings only applicable for Permanent Residence sponsorships? We separated in Feb 2021 and were officially divorced in Oct 2023. I sponsored her in 2019.

I also have my mother here on Supervisa. Would she count as a dependent?

Thanks,

Kaibigan

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2020
Hi @Kaibigan,

I was previously married but ended up getting a divorce. During that period, I was on a work permit and I sponsored my ex-wife on the Spousal work permit. Would that count as an undertaking? Or are undertakings only applicable for Permanent Residence sponsorships? We separated in Feb 2021 and were officially divorced in Oct 2023. I sponsored her in 2019.

I also have my mother here on Supervisa. Would she count as a dependent?

Thanks,
I have to admit that the only process with which I am very familiar is spousal PR sponsorship.

However, as for whether sponsoring a spouse on a spousal work permit (about which I know nothing) would "count as an undertaking" I think the answer lies in the documents you signed that the time. When I sponsored my wife, I had to sign a document acknowledging that I was financially responsible for 3 years. That was my undertaking. If your wife on spousal work permit got here by reason of your sponsorship, then I would think you must have signed a 3-year undertaking. But, in any event, you say you sponsored her in 2019, so the undertaking is spent.

As for mom and supervisa, according to the IRCC site, to invite her you had sign "a promise of financial support for the duration of [her] visit". See:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/parent-grandparent-super-visa/eligibility.html

So, I suppose, in some way, mom might bee regarded as a dependent. However, the IRCC site says:

You may not be eligible to sponsor your spouse, partner if you:

• were sponsored by a spouse or partner and you became a permanent resident less than 5 years ago
  • are still financially responsible for a previous spouse or partner that you sponsored. This means you’re still bound by the 3 year undertaking to take care of this person. (Italics added.)
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/family-sponsorship/spouse-partner-children/eligibility.html

So, it would appear that still being on the hook for a previous spousal sponsorship can stop you from sponsoring again, but giving an undertaking for mom would seem to have no impact on the new application for spousal sponsorship.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Thanks for the detailed response @Kaibigan

@legalfalcon Would you be able to advise on my query above? I'm wondering if Undertaking applies to Spousal Work Permit applications.
You were on work permit and you applied for your spouse's SOWP. There is NO sponsorship involved in this at all.
There is no undertaking (vs spousal sponsorship - 3 years/parents&granparents sponsorship - 20 years) .

FrustratedPRApplicant

Star Member
Apr 3, 2021
Thanks @YVR123. Do you know if my wife can travel internationally while the application is being processed? or does she have to inform IRCC of any trip she makes during this period? She would like to take a small vacation with her family before she comes to Canada. Since we mentioned travel history, I was wondering if we would have to inform IRCC of this trip and if that would delay the processing.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Thanks @YVR123. Do you know if my wife can travel internationally while the application is being processed? or does she have to inform IRCC of any trip she makes during this period? She would like to take a small vacation with her family before she comes to Canada. Since we mentioned travel history, I was wondering if we would have to inform IRCC of this trip and if that would delay the processing.
She will need to update after she travelled. Before her trip, she doesn't need to inform IRCC.

FrustratedPRApplicant

Star Member
Apr 3, 2021
Does anyone know if I need to update my wife's address to my residential address in India? My wife lives with her parents as my entire family is in Canada. We didn't have time to update those details in her passport or other identity documentation. Will this cause an issue?