+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Documents required at the time of landing in Canada

Moonwalk

Jul 20, 2009
Hi,
What are the documents I should carry the first time I land in Canada with my family after receiving my PR?

I think I need:
1. All kinds of certificates (Marriage, birth, educations)
2. Funds - How much would I need to carry for a family of 4?
3. List of items to bring on the next trip
4. Bank Statement from US bank.

and ofcourse PPs and PR documents.

Thanks!

professional 1

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Moonwalk said:
Hi,
What are the documents I should carry the first time I land in Canada with my family after receiving my PR?

I think I need:
1. All kinds of certificates (Marriage, birth, educations)
2. Funds - How much would I need to carry for a family of 4?
3. List of items to bring on the next trip
4. Bank Statement from US bank.

and ofcourse PPs and PR documents.

Thanks!
My sister and her husband landed in canada long time ago and they were asked only for their passports containing the visas and the conformation of permanent residence, the address which they are going to reside in canada, and the officer has asked them verbally only how much money they carry with them to canada at the airport without any documents that is it. (they haven't been asked for any other documents).

the whole process didn't take more than 10 minutes

sanjeevindia

Jul 1, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
i think you have mentioned everything there, but if you have any kids then you must take their academic records and immunization records with you. they wont ask you for these a airport but u may need them after that. they usaully ask for bank statement for the funds.

KayCee2

Star Member
Jul 10, 2008
I landed about 6 weeks ago and they asked for all the documents you mentioned including bank statement / proof of funds.

To be clear, they asked for:
  • Passport
  • COPR
  • Bank statement / proof of funds
  • List of goods being brought
  • list of goods to follow
  • my marriage certificate (only because I had the lady change my name to my married name)

I landed by car via Buffalo and the process took all of 10mins.

aanbaan

Champion Member
Apr 1, 2009
USA
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-Apr-2009
Doc's Request.
14-May-2009
AOR Received.
09-Jul-2009
Med's Request
30-Aug-2009
Med's Done....
05-Sep-2009
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
30-Aug-2009
VISA ISSUED...
24-Feb-2010
LANDED..........
08-Aug-2010
KayCee2 said:
I landed about 6 weeks ago and they asked for all the documents you mentioned including bank statement / proof of funds.

To be clear, they asked for:
  • Passport
  • COPR
  • Bank statement / proof of funds
  • List of goods being brought
  • list of goods to follow
  • my marriage certificate (only because I had the lady change my name to my married name)
this is good info. thanx.
[/list]

I landed by car via Buffalo and the process took all of 10mins.

Moonwalk

Jul 20, 2009
That is good info that will help me. I want to be able to take my car to Canada so that I don't have to worry about renting one.

Moonwalk

Jul 20, 2009
KayCee2,

Few more questions since you just experienced what we all may experience :)

1. Do I have to bring a bank draft to show the amount I am bringing to Canada or is the bank statement from a US bank enough?

2. Also, you mentioned they asked for Bank statement / proof of funds. Did you get the statement in some specific format from your bank or did you print them out from the online account?

3. How many months of bank statements did you carry?

thanks again!

KayCee2

Star Member
Jul 10, 2008
Hey Moonwalk, sorry i am only replying you now. Haven't logged on in quite a while.

To answer your questions:

1. Do I have to bring a bank draft to show the amount I am bringing to Canada or is the bank statement from a US bank enough?
No, you do not need to bring a bank draft if you don't want to. You just have to have a bank statement showing the total funds that they require you yo have. So, if you want, you can carry some cash and have the balance on a bank statement. Just make sure the total is what is required. As for the cash, they just ask you how much cash; they do not count it nor do they even see it!

2. Also, you mentioned they asked for Bank statement / proof of funds. Did you get the statement in some specific format from your bank or did you print them out from the online account?
Both. We had the one bank statement which the bank sends normally. We were lucky it came a few days or so before we landed. Also, we had a printout from the internet for another bank account.

3. How many months of bank statements did you carry?
It's not the number of bank statements that matters. It's the total funds and cash that is important. We had cash in X amount and then 2 bank statements all totaling over the required $12K. Also, it was the current month's statement. We landed May 31, so the statements were from May.