+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do you need a valid I-94 in order to apply for Canadian Permanent Residency?

2canada2011

Mar 14, 2011
Hi,

I would like to apply for Canadian Green Card from within US. However my I-94 has already expired. CIC requires a copy of visa from a country you currently live in to be sent along with other documents:

"If you live in a country different from your nationality, include a photocopy of your visa for the country where you currently live."

However they also say that they need a "proof of admission"
"If you do not reside in your country of nationality, provide proof that you have been lawfully admitted for a period of at least one year to your current country of residence. [...]

Submit photocopies of:
•current or expired entry/exit stamps in your national passport.
•current or expired status documents indicating the date you were admitted and the validity.
For USA residents only:
•I-94 card
•I-797
•IAP-66/DS-2019 (for J-1 status)
•I-20 (for F-1 status)

My question is quite simple. Will CIC mind that my current I-94 is expired or will my application be denied because of the I-94?

krae

Mar 17, 2010
Hello,

As long as you have entered lawfully in the country for a period of one year, the expiration of I-94 will not matter.

BlueRobin

Feb 25, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
18-06-2010
Med's Request
23-09-2010
Med's Done....
20-10-2010
Passport Req..
11-07-2011
VISA ISSUED...
02-08-2011
Please read the line again. "you have been lawfully admitted for a period of at least one year". One could argue that once lawfully entered and stayed in a country for one year, current status does not matter. But in my view applicant's status should be valid during the application processing stage, till landing.

2canada2011

Mar 14, 2011
OK, I see that answers are inconclusive. 1 for and 1 against.

Please, does anybody have any experience direct or indirect on how this work and could share? I understand that the process is complicated and many members of this forum are not fully familiar with it. I'm a good example of that. That's why it would be helpful to get non-speculative answer if possible.

I also don't know what to enter on application imm0008 in field #6: "Your Status in That country." Any suggestions? The person that answers gets a big cold beer from me! :)

Yinkuzi

Feb 9, 2011
Ok. I am in the same situation as u are. I have out of status for a while. I used a lawyer though because of that. I already did my medicals last November and awaiting PPR.
I do not think the expiration matters. All that matters is coming in legally and being here legally for at least 1 full year.

novsaggi

Star Member
Jan 27, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-09-2010
AOR Received.
26-01-2011
File Transfer...
20-12-2011 to Los Angels Office
can u clarify
do u hv old i-94 stamped in passport
or r u no longer in legal status

upp942

May 27, 2010
USA
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo >> Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-May-2010
Doc's Request.
01-Nov-2010
AOR Received.
23-May-2011
IELTS Request
submitted with initial application
Med's Request
02-May-2012 (post mark)
Med's Done....
24-May-2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
01-Nov-12
VISA ISSUED...
14-Nov-12
2canada2011 said:
Hi,

I would like to apply for Canadian Green Card from within US. However my I-94 has already expired. CIC requires a copy of visa from a country you currently live in to be sent along with other documents:

"If you live in a country different from your nationality, include a photocopy of your visa for the country where you currently live."

"If you do not reside in your country of nationality, provide proof that you have been lawfully admitted for a period of at least one year to your current country of residence. [...]

Submit photocopies of:
•current or expired status documents indicating the date you were admitted and the validity.
For USA residents only:
•I-94 card
•I-797
•I-20 (for F-1 status)

My question is quite simple. Will CIC mind that my current I-94 is expired or will my application be denied because of the I-94?
I've read somewhere in this forum that somebody was given, although it has already been a couple of years ago, a PR status even though he was already illegal at the time his application was finalized. I just can't remember where I've read it or what his user name was.

krae

Mar 17, 2010
Hey,

As long as you entered legally and for at least one year period and do not have any criminal background, even if you don't have a valid I-94; you can apply for Canadian PR. As for the status in the country, I suggest you put whatever is in your passport or visa. But along with that have an attachment to inform that you have overstayed your visa or for whatever reason your I-94 is not valid. This way you will not be misrepresenting your application.

Best of luck.

2canada2011

Mar 14, 2011
Yinkuzi,

I don't mean to poke around in your application, but do you know/remember by any chance what did the attorney advise you to put in field #6 ("Your status in that country") Did you put your original status?

To all others thank you for your time and help. Good luck everyone!

2canada2011

Mar 14, 2011
Yinkuzi,

Thank you dearly for your prompt and honest replies. I think that your answer just helped many people. I wish you and your family all the best in Canada. Good luck!

abhi812

Sep 10, 2010
2canada2011 said:
Hi,

Submit photocopies of:
For USA residents only:
•I-94 card
•I-797
•I-20 (for F-1 status)

Do you also neeed to submit for your wife