+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do you have to formally leave Canada to Land?

quakingaspen

Sep 24, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
LANDED..........
Hi guys. It's me again, asking more landing questions. Sorry about that! Just trying to make sure I have a really clear idea on what is required/expected before we try the wrong thing and end up in a mess.

Our current plan is to drive to the border, past the Canadian side, and then U turn and go straight to the Canadian booths without ever reaching the American side. (There are two places to turn around, although I don't know if they're "official".)

We've actually done this before, as my husband forgot to give something to the Canadian border agents the last time we crossed, and we had to turn around and come back through. It didn't cause any problems then.

But do I need to actually cross into the US and then cross back into Canada?

Thanks for the advice and your patience!

Stumpedmom

Sep 16, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22/03/2011 Receivd CPC-M
AOR Received.
16/06/2011
File Transfer...
06/05/2011 Received in Buffalo, 06/2011 to Los Angeles
Med's Done....
12/10/2010
Interview........
waived...obviously cuz we got the PPR
Passport Req..
16/8/2011
VISA ISSUED...
24/8/2011 in our hands 8/29/2011
LANDED..........
3/9/2011
From my understanding from reading the posts, you go to the American side, explain to them what you are doing, they send you in and pretty much deny you entry, send you back and then you land. I have not been through this part yet, but thats what I understand as "flagpoling"....

quakingaspen

Sep 24, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
LANDED..........
Thanks for your response. :) I'm not sure they'd deny me entry (even by request) since I'm a US citizen. But, my husband is inadmissable to the states, so I'm looking to avoid crossing, or even going to the border guards.

So, I'm trying to figure out of going into the states is a *necessary* part of the process. I am guessing no, because people can "land" from inside Canada.

Just nervous and trying to make sure I have all my bases covered and that I understand the situation correctly. :) I don't want to accidently put myself or my husband in a sticky situation.

I just looked at some Google maps of a few of the stations, and several of them have spots where you can turn around and go into the Canadian gates, without going across to the American side. So I think it'll be okay.

Thanks. :)

fprince

Champion Member
Feb 10, 2011
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
நியூ டெல்லி, India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Nov 22, 2010
AOR Received.
Dec 22, 2010
File Transfer...
Jan 4, 2011
Passport Req..
May 6, 2011 ( CSE EMAIL )
VISA ISSUED...
May 20, 2011 ( Received May 28 )
LANDED..........
June 21, 2011
quakingaspen said:
Thanks for your response. :) I'm not sure they'd deny me entry (even by request) since I'm a US citizen. But, my husband is inadmissable to the states, so I'm looking to avoid crossing, or even going to the border guards.

So, I'm trying to figure out of going into the states is a *necessary* part of the process. I am guessing no, because people can "land" from inside Canada.

Just nervous and trying to make sure I have all my bases covered and that I understand the situation correctly. :) I don't want to accidently put myself or my husband in a sticky situation.

I just looked at some Google maps of a few of the stations, and several of them have spots where you can turn around and go into the Canadian gates, without going across to the American side. So I think it'll be okay.

Thanks. :)
This is from what i know .............

This is for a lot of ppl under refugee class and has nothing to do with your scenario.

Yes, you need to enter canada from another country...US is the cheapest option.
They will check for the US exit stamp when you enter Canada

This is what i did, went to Niagara falls..walked the bridge..entered US immigration, got an entry stamp in my PP and made a U-TURN ( they will guide you ) and walk back to the Canadian Immigration and they checked where i came from. When i asked the IO the same question, she said..you can not come out of "no-where" to enter Canada legally.
Thus the need for a landing PR to come from a source country ( unless its a complicated case and you do not have a source country nor a passport )

You can try this but its a gamble...depends on the IO who processess the entry.
If i were you, and i was in this position i applied for a US visa just to land...but i have read cases which did not do it..depends on which IO takes care of you when you land.

quakingaspen

Sep 24, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
LANDED..........
Thank you for the information, fprince. I appreciate it very much. I wish we were closer to somewhere I could walk across the border, because that would make me feel much more comfortable.

Landing from inside Canada is indeed an option for me, and could apply to my scenario. When they mailed my passport back to me they included a letter which stated (in part):

"Please note that if you are already in Canada and have valid temporary resident status, you now have the choice of either obtaining your permanent resident status in Canada or leaving Canada and re-entering at a port of entry"

So, I do have valid temporary resident status and could apply from inside the country. However, many people who call to make an appointment are told to go to the border and avoid the 6 week wait.

I guess what I'm looking to do is a hybrid of "just going to the border" and applying from inside the country. I think we'll probably stick with our first plan and rent a car. Thanks for your assistance. :)

But you are right from that wording. "...or leaving Canada and re-entering at a port of entry." If the IO is feeling picky, it could cause us some problems.

fprince

Champion Member
Feb 10, 2011
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
நியூ டெல்லி, India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Nov 22, 2010
AOR Received.
Dec 22, 2010
File Transfer...
Jan 4, 2011
Passport Req..
May 6, 2011 ( CSE EMAIL )
VISA ISSUED...
May 20, 2011 ( Received May 28 )
LANDED..........
June 21, 2011
quakingaspen said:
Thank you for the information, fprince. I appreciate it very much. I wish we were closer to somewhere I could walk across the border, because that would make me feel much more comfortable.

Landing from inside Canada is indeed an option for me, and could apply to my scenario. When they mailed my passport back to me they included a letter which stated (in part):

"Please note that if you are already in Canada and have valid temporary resident status, you now have the choice of either obtaining your permanent resident status in Canada or leaving Canada and re-entering at a port of entry"

So, I do have valid temporary resident status and could apply from inside the country. However, many people who call to make an appointment are told to go to the border and avoid the 6 week wait.

I guess what I'm looking to do is a hybrid of "just going to the border" and applying from inside the country.

But you are right from that wording. "...or leaving Canada and re-entering at a port of entry." If the IO is feeling picky, it could cause us some problems.
True i think you can call CIC as i have not known about the part which is highlighed, looks like maybe you can 8)
So how do you do it?
Think you should call and ask them what do they mean by that statement..go "where" and land within canada.
I have heard stories about how you can go to an aiport inside canada and land ( some like Pearson ) but have limited knowledge of how it works.

quakingaspen

Sep 24, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
LANDED..........
Something like that would be great!

Thanks for the advice about calling that number and seeing what they mean by landing "in" Canada. Because, technically, if my status is up to date, and I go to the Point of Entry and don't leave... I'm landing In Canada. Maybe I will call them on the way tomorrow, just to make sure. :)

Our plan right now is to just rent a car and have me leave my husband somewhere, and then pick him up again after I land. Better safe than sorry, I guess! Though, it would be nicer to have him with me.

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You only have two options to land:

1. Leave Canada and re-enter at a port of entry. Many people "flagpole" where they tell the US border officials that they do not want to enter the US and want to land in Canada.

2. Call the local CIC office and make an appoinment to land.

You cannot go to an airport and ask to be able to land unless you are actually entering Canada.

quakingaspen

Sep 24, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
LANDED..........
Thanks for that clarification. :) We'll be headed to the border tomorrow to leave and re-enter. I'll let everyone know how it goes!

RobsLuv

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Original:14Mar2007; Reprocess began after appeal:26Apr2010
Doc's Request.
Original:9May'07; Reprocess:7May'10
AOR Received.
Original:28Apr'07; Reprocess:26Apr'10
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
Reprocessing:7May2010
Med's Done....
Jun2010
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
30Nov2010!!
VISA ISSUED...
31Dec2010!!
LANDED..........
31Jan2011
Just for the record - although you've probably already landed - I'm from the US also, having been in Canada awaiting PR finalization and "landing" from here. I was told I absolutely had to leave Canada - enter the US - and then come back into Canada in order to affect my landing. My husband does not have a passport, so he could not accompany me into the States - so we just pulled into the back parking lot of the Canadian immigration border office and he asked them if I had to leave, and if he could wait for me there. They said yes, I had to physically leave Canada and he could stay there to wait for me. So I drove through the US entry point, a few blocks into NY State, and then turned around and came back through the Canada port of entry. Hubby waited for me at the immigration office and was with me when I "landed". It went off without a hitch. No big deal - well, except for the fact that it marked the end of a nightmare and we were over the moon about it!!! LOL!