+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do we have to apply for study permit through VAC?

et3rn1ty

Mar 23, 2014
From what I understand, it is optional to apply through VAC(Visa application center) to get your study permit. You can send your application directly to the consulate. So why do some people apply through VAC which adds to the cost of the application? Are they faster than going the direct route?
I am helping a friend of mine who has a visitor status here to get his study permit so he will send the application to the Los Angeles office.
I hope some people can shed me some light here.
Thanks.

ElmTree

Star Member
Dec 31, 2014
Through VAC it is a one day process where they check your application for completion, organise your documents as per the requirement of the visa officer and most importantly collect your biometric (finger prints etc., if required).

If you apply online, then you'll have to physically visit a centre to give your biometric information. This is just from my personal experience and is not a conclusive advice. Hope this helps though.

loo1201

Star Member
Mar 13, 2016
ON
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Etobicoke
App. Filed.......
01-05-2020
AOR Received.
12-05-2020
VISA ISSUED...
10-06-2021
ElmTree said:
Through VAC it is a one day process where they check your application for completion, organise your documents as per the requirement of the visa officer and most importantly collect your biometric (finger prints etc., if required).

If you apply online, then you'll have to physically visit a centre to give your biometric information. This is just from my personal experience and is not a conclusive advice. Hope this helps though.
So if i apply online will i have to go to a visa center ANYWAY?

Abbas1

Star Member
Apr 2, 2012
loo1201 said:
If you are a citizen of a country in which you have to give biometric, then yes you need to go to VAC anyway

ElmTree

Star Member
Dec 31, 2014
loo1201 said:
Yes, like Abbas1 said, if the applicant has a nationality for which biometric info is required then yes, they had to physically go to give biometric information. It doesn't have to be in the VAC though. It can also be done in USCIS (American immigration) field offices on behalf of the Canadians. There are many USCIS offices around Los Angeles/in California. I know of ones in Fresno, Oxnard and San Jose.