+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do we have time to travel after application sent or send after?

ChellGouda

May 6, 2019
I am applying for permanent residency for my wife. We both live outside of Canada, and I am her sponsor.

Our application is ready and we just realized that we will be travelling to visit my family in Canada on July 1 for about 6 weeks.

Should we send the application now since all of our letters and information such as joint bank statements are for six months up to the current mont which is May. Or will this cause a problem for us as they will ask my wife to get her biometrics after the application is received and we will be in Canada at that time.

In other words:
Is there a long delay between the time they receive our application and the time they send the request for my wife to get her biometrics and possibly police report and medical exam?

Should we wait until after we get back from our trip which means we will have to pay the bank again to produce letters and 6 months worth of bank statements?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Are you planning on returning to live in Canada? You have to prove you are going to settle in Canada once she gets PR. Unless that is the case there is no point applying. If you have the application ready you should apply. AOR can take a few months.

ChellGouda

May 6, 2019
We are just returning to visit my family as we always do each year. We are going to move back to Canada as soon as my wife receives her PR. We just wanted to make sure that while we are in Canada we don't get the medical letter and biometrics letter giving us 30 days to fulfill the requirements when we would not be able to get back to Thailand in time.

About how much time from the moment they receive our application until the time we get those letters?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
We are just returning to visit my family as we always do each year. We are going to move back to Canada as soon as my wife receives her PR. We just wanted to make sure that while we are in Canada we don't get the medical letter and biometrics letter giving us 30 days to fulfill the requirements when we would not be able to get back to Thailand in time.

About how much time from the moment they receive our application until the time we get those letters?
Hard to say timelines are variable. You can do medicals in Canada if necessary.

ChellGouda

May 6, 2019
Could do medicals in Canada but it would cost a fortune. Our travel insurance is for accidents not for voluntary medical exams so I would have to pay cash etc. One time when we visited Canada my wife got small infection on her head. We had to take her to hospital and it cost around $900 CDN. Can't imagine the cost of x-rays and blood tests.

As for the times variable I have read that the delay between receiving the application and getting the letters seems to be around 40-45 days. I just wanted to get some other opinions/advise.​

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Could do medicals in Canada but it would cost a fortune. Our travel insurance is for accidents not for voluntary medical exams so I would have to pay cash etc. One time when we visited Canada my wife got small infection on her head. We had to take her to hospital and it cost around $900 CDN. Can't imagine the cost of x-rays and blood tests.

As for the times variable I have read that the delay between receiving the application and getting the letters seems to be around 40-45 days. I just wanted to get some other opinions/advise.​
AOR can take 6-12 weeks. It bounces around. You asked about options. Paying for a medical in Canada is an option if you need to submit the medical on time.

Reactions: ChellGouda

ChellGouda

May 6, 2019
Are you planning on returning to live in Canada? You have to prove you are going to settle in Canada once she gets PR. Unless that is the case there is no point applying. If you have the application ready you should apply. AOR can take a few months.
For proof of resettling I have the following:

Letters from my family offering us a place to stay and financial support.
Letter from my Uncle describing how I've discussed how important it is that I move back to Canada to help my aging parents, have my daughter go to good safe schools and also provide new opportunities for my wife and myself.
Proof that my employment will continue in Canada when I return.
Emails from the school concerning registering our daughter for kinder garden
Invoices from moving companies for the cost of moving our belongings to Canada
Email from friends about my moving to Canada with my family
Photos of houses we have looked at in the areas we may want to live along with an email from the real estate agent
A written plan of what we will do when we move back to Canada
Bank statements from my Canadian bank account.
RRSP Account
Copy of my Canadian Drivers License from the province we will be residing.

Any other suggestions of how I can prove that I am planning to return to Canada?

Last edited:

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12

The medical is generally cheaper in Canada than most other countries.

mashulia_26

Apr 6, 2018

Insurance doesn't cover medical exam even if you live in Canada. I had provincial insurance and benefits but still had to pay $360 for everything.

Reactions: schweisy