+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do the citizenship requirements change if you marry a Canadian citizen?

alexis2010

Feb 10, 2010
Hi, a friend told me that if you are a PR and you marry a Canadian citizen you can apply for your citizenship after a year. Is that true? I always thought you'd still need 3 out of 4 years to get the citizenship even if you marry a Canadian citizen. My friend insists that there's an immigration law that supports this and even listed names of people who benefited from this law. I can't find it anywhere on the CIC website. I'd appreciate any help. Thanks!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It's possible that it used to be a law at some point in the past but there is certainly no such law now. You have to do your 3 years like everybody else.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

alexis2010 said:
Hi, a friend told me that if you are a PR and you marry a Canadian citizen you can apply for your citizenship after a year. Is that true? I always thought you'd still need 3 out of 4 years to get the citizenship even if you marry a Canadian citizen. My friend insists that there's an immigration law that supports this and even listed names of people who benefited from this law. I can't find it anywhere on the CIC website. I'd appreciate any help. Thanks!
No, you need 3 years of physical residence for citizenship in the 4 years prior to the date you apply. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/become-eligibility.asp

PMM