+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

DO my wife would get dependent visa if my EE application is still under process

SIDD007

Dec 18, 2015
Thanks Asivad Anac.
SO the best option will be to get her visitors visa done and then apply for PR once we get married.
If i add her name to my PR before landing to canada, will not immigration officers at border will have problem to these when she tries to enter as visitor in canada?

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
When she applies for visitor's visa is her choice and that depends only on the chances of success. You won't be able to have any influence on her visa application till you are married to her.

If you add her name to your PR application (after you are married and before you activate your PR status, that is) while she is already in Canada on a visitor's visa, she will only have to 'land' at the nearest CIC office or US border.

If you add her name to your PR application (after you are married and before you activate your PR status, that is) while she is already NOT in Canada on a visitor's visa, she will land when she comes to Canada after receiving her PR visa and COPR when your application is finalized.

SIDD007

Dec 18, 2015
Thanks Asivad Anac,
I am sorry to ask so many questions to you but i will write what i understand.
Best possible scenario in my case is to get my fiancees visitors visa done right away, get married in july, get her here in Canada AND then add her name with my ongoing EE application. Is that what you would recommend?

Thanks Asivad

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
SIDD007 said:
Thanks Asivad Anac,
I am sorry to ask so many questions to you but i will write what i understand.
Best possible scenario in my case is to get my fiancees visitors visa done right away, get married in july, get her here in Canada AND then add her name with my ongoing EE application. Is that what you would recommend?

Thanks Asivad
Sure. 2 observations though.

1. As her fiancee, you would have no bearing on her visitor visa application. She will get it or not get it based on her own merits.

2. She doesn't need to be in Canada for you to add her to your PR application, can be anywhere else as well. The only requirements are that you need to be married AFTER submitting your post ITA application and BEFORE you activate your PR status.

SIDD007

Dec 18, 2015
Awesome. Thanks a ton.
I understood the part of getting married after submitting post ITA application (my deadline to submit all docs is March 6th and i am getting married on July first week) but i did not understand the concept of getting married "BEFORE you activate your PR status".
When do we activate our PR status? Is it after getting PR ?

Thanks

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
SIDD007 said:
Awesome. Thanks a ton.
I understood the part of getting married after submitting post ITA application (my deadline to submit all docs is March 6th and i am getting married on July first week) but i did not understand the concept of getting married "BEFORE you activate your PR status".
When do we activate our PR status? Is it after getting PR ?

Thanks
Yes.

SIDD007

Dec 18, 2015
Thanks a ton Asivad Anac.
You are indeed great help.
When do you expect i should i ideally get PR if put all my post ITA docs on 6th march 2016.? Do you think it will be before july anyways?

thnks

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
SIDD007 said:
Thanks a ton Asivad Anac.
You are indeed great help.
When do you expect i should i ideally get PR if put all my post ITA docs on 6th march 2016.? Do you think it will be before july anyways?

thnks
Probably by mid July. Most applications appear to be taking anywhere from 120 to 150 days or more.

SIDD007

Dec 18, 2015
Oh.
Would you recommend me to decline my invitation to avoid any clashes later?
Or should keep it and just not activate my PR if i get it.
I do not understand concept of not activating my PR. Is there any link online which would help me understand this concept in more detail?

Thanks

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
SIDD007 said:
Oh.
Would you recommend me to decline my invitation to avoid any clashes later?
Or should keep it and just not activate my PR if i get it.
I do not understand concept of not activating my PR. Is there any link online which would help me understand this concept in more detail?

Thanks
After getting COPR and visa (if required), you activate PR by going to the nearest Canadian border for 'landing' - that is when you activate your PR status.
Don't decline your ITA. Just make sure that you do not 'land' before getting married. Else you won't be able to add your (future) spouse to this PR application.

SIDD007

Dec 18, 2015
Ohk. Now got it.
SO if i land after getting married, my wife would get PR status with me itself?

Thanks

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
SIDD007 said:
Ohk. Now got it.
SO if i land after getting married, my wife would get PR status with me itself?

Thanks
Yes. Provided you add your spouse to the application and CIC makes a positive decision on the application after evaluating your spouse's criminal history (if any), medicals and allied formalities.

SIDD007

Dec 18, 2015
Ok. WHat all procedure does my wife has to go while adding her name to application? Is it same as what i dodi while applying for myself?
ALso, does she has to give any english test?

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
SIDD007 said:
Ok. WHat all procedure does my wife has to go while adding her name to application? Is it same as what i dodi while applying for myself?
ALso, does she has to give any english test?
PCC(s) from all countries she has lived in for 6 months or more in a row since turning 18, medicals and additional POF. No English tests needed.

SIDD007

Dec 18, 2015
Ok. Is there any specific amount you would recommend for POF for her? Just to make sure i have enough.
Also, i had done my PCC from my own country i.e India and not from consulate here in Ottawa. Is that a problem you think?

Thanks