+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do kids slow down the process and paying fees then crossing ?

Patricksgirls

Star Member
Oct 31, 2010
Trying to get an idea of when I should try to cross with my children. I will be getting the FBI soon so based on that if we still cant get married (waiting for divorces to be filed still) should we pay for the fees and try to cross showing them the intention of filing the app asap? My fiance would accompany me for the crossing.
Also when we cross should we ask for a year since we are filing with kids even though we have all the necessary letters of notarization to immigrate the children. Not sure if that holds things up...

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Patricksgirls said:
Trying to get an idea of when I should try to cross with my children. I will be getting the FBI soon so based on that if we still cant get married (waiting for divorces to be filed still) should we pay for the fees and try to cross showing them the intention of filing the app asap? My fiance would accompany me for the crossing.
Also when we cross should we ask for a year since we are filing with kids even though we have all the necessary letters of notarization to immigrate the children. Not sure if that holds things up...
You are planning on staying in Canada after the marriage? You realize you won't be able to work and the kids won't be able to go to school unless you apply for study permits for them. You may also be denied entry if this is your plan. You might want to rethink this.

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Patricksgirls said:
I would suggest that getting everything sorted out before jumping in.
As rjessome mentioned, being denied entry is a strong possibility.

Patricksgirls

Star Member
Oct 31, 2010
The children are only three and one so no school yet and I do not have to work during the process. Not even working now as he is supporting me in the states. Maybe I should try to cross without filing yet? Just on road to canada they mention filing and crossing with your partner so I am so confused!

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Patricksgirls said:
The children are only three and one so no school yet and I do not have to work during the process. Not even working now as he is supporting me in the states. Maybe I should try to cross without filing yet? Just on road to canada they mention filing and crossing with your partner so I am so confused!
Are you going to get married before or after you cross into Canada? If it is before, then filing first and waiting for sponsorship approval will help you when crossing. With kids, I personally think it would be better to do that than just showing up with the fees receipt. Don't ask for a year. The default is six months. Take what they give you with a smile and then file from inside of Canada for any extension if you need it.

Are the either of the kids Canadian?

Patricksgirls

Star Member
Oct 31, 2010
We are not sure if we are going to get married first. It all depends on timing of my divorce which needs to be filed but waiting for a court date after three years of hassle. I personally want to wait for all that however we have been apart for almost two years with visits off and on every three months. I am hesitant to cross with the girls because my second to last crossing I was issued a visitor record. This last time I went through Pearson with a trip to the IO desk but no record probably because I had a return ticket? I have never stayed more than 90 days but at Pearson there is a significant info for the IO because she kept reading her computer when I talked with her. So who knows. I would like however to spend time with my fiance and kids next month and we would fly so maybe my return ticket would help again. I know someone else on here mentioned Ottawa so maybe that will be our route to go but not sure what the hassle would be when I say I am going to Toronto. The first border agent at Pearson though said there is nothing in my notes alarming. Whatever that means...

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Return tickets help. And sorry, I thought perhaps the youngest child might be your fiance's child as well.