+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do I need TRV to stay in Canada? I have a valid SP.

suryaveer

Aug 15, 2015
Hi All,

My TRV is about to expire. I have already renewed my SP that is valid till Oct 2016. I see at few places people mentioning that TRV is not required. But I have few doubts.

• Can I stay in Canada without the TRV just having valid Study Permit?
  • Does it mean that I'll only require the TRV if I plan to visit outside Canada and wish to re-enter?
  • Suppose, I do not renew my TRV but once I need to renew after it had expired, will it be a normal renew application from within Canada or will it be something else like restoration of status.

Appreciate help.

Thanks

Abbas1

Star Member
Apr 2, 2012
You do not need valid TRV to be in Canada, the only reason you will be needing TRV if you are planning to leave Canada to anywhere but the US
There are no restoration fees for applying for TRV after its expire

Laulau

May 11, 2017
You do not need valid TRV to be in Canada, the only reason you will be needing TRV if you are planning to leave Canada to anywhere but the US
There are no restoration fees for applying for TRV after its expire
Hi thank you for the reply, I was in the same situation. By the way if my TRV has expired, can I still travel within Canada?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Hi thank you for the reply, I was in the same situation. By the way if my TRV has expired, can I still travel within Canada?
You can travel within Canada without a TRV but if by air make sure you have ID.If was me I would keep my TRV valid just in case.

Laulau

May 11, 2017
You can travel within Canada without a TRV but if by air make sure you have ID.If was me I would keep my TRV valid just in case.
Thank you very much! I have a last question please, if you have time: I am applying for an extension of my study permit and I am currently enrolled full time at my current institution. Next semester I will transfer to another one (University of Manitoba) that is kind of ''together'' with my current one (International College of Manitoba). How much funds should I show? Enough for the month 800-1500$, the tuition fees per semester or the whole yearly tuition?
P.S: My parents already paid my current tuition (From May to August)
Thank you :)