Vegreville, AB
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-05-2011
LANDED..........
02-05-2012
Hi, everyone,

I am confused that if I need to apply Travel Document since I will travle without having my PR card because of the timing issue (My first PR card will not be issued to me on time and I applied my PR within Canada).
I've been asking around and from my understanding, Travel Document is required because you need to enter Canada with a valid VISA. If you are coming from a country that doesn't need a VISA to enter Canada, there is no need to apply Travel Document. And also, I found this on the CIC website:

No matter how you travel back to Canada, all permanent residents entering Canada must satisfy the border services officer that they have valid permanent resident status. A valid permanent resident card is the best proof of your status.

If you do not present your card when you return to Canada, you may be asked to show one of the following documents:
•a completed Confirmation of Permanent Residence form;
•the original Record of Landing (if it is dated 1973 or later);
•a passport stamped with the date you were granted permanent residence (if your Record of Landing is dated 1972 or earlier);
•a certified true copy of a Record of Landing document issued by CIC National Headquarters; or
•a letter issued by CIC National Headquarters attesting to your permanent resident status.

The border services officer may also need to confirm your permanent resident status by asking you questions and checking our information systems.

It doesn't look like I need to apply Travel Document since with my passport, I don't need a VISA.

However, while I proposed my questions to the Canadian embassy where I will travel to, one of them told me I shall apply one but if I do not have enough time, it's okay not to apply but it has to depend on the custom while I enter Canada. And another one replied me nothing but just asked me to apply it, even I'd explained my situation to them.

Thus, should I apply or not? Because I will only travel in that country for one week and I am afraid that I won't have enough time to apply this Travel document. Please help. Thanks!!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You don't need one. When you board the plane, they will not ask you because you have a visa exempt passport. When you arrive in Canada, you have your landing papers to show so there should be no problem.

brookechung

Mar 26, 2012
Montreal
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville, AB
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-05-2011
LANDED..........
02-05-2012
Leon said:
You don't need one. When you board the plane, they will not ask you because you have a visa exempt passport. When you arrive in Canada, you have your landing papers to show so there should be no problem.
Thank you so much, Leon!!

edujrn

Apr 9, 2012
thanks Leon for answering my question in the separate thread..

I only have the 3rd copy of COPR and it says there, "NOT VALID FOR TRAVEL" , my immigrant Visa was crossed out.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
edujrn said:
thanks Leon for answering my question in the separate thread..

I only have the 3rd copy of COPR and it says there, "NOT VALID FOR TRAVEL" , my immigrant Visa was crossed out.
There are two parts to your trip. Travel to Canada and entry to Canada. Travel gets you on the plane to the airport or by car or bus to the border. Entry is dealing with the immigration officer.

If you are visa exempt, you are using your passport for travel, not your COPR. You can put your COPR in your pocket and not show it to the airline when you board. As long as you are visa exempt, it is ok.

If you are not visa exempt, your passport is not enough to travel so if you are a PR, you need either a PR card or a PR travel document for the airline or bus company to let you board.

Once you have travelled and stand in front of immigration, your COPR is enough for you to enter, especially when you have only been a PR for a short time. If you have been a PR for more than 3 years and show up with nothing but a COPR, you might have some explaining to do but less then 3 years, there is no way you are in breach of the residency requirements yet.

brookechung

Mar 26, 2012
Montreal
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville, AB
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-05-2011
LANDED..........
02-05-2012
Leon said:
There are two parts to your trip. Travel to Canada and entry to Canada. Travel gets you on the plane to the airport or by car or bus to the border. Entry is dealing with the immigration officer.

If you are visa exempt, you are using your passport for travel, not your COPR. You can put your COPR in your pocket and not show it to the airline when you board. As long as you are visa exempt, it is ok.

If you are not visa exempt, your passport is not enough to travel so if you are a PR, you need either a PR card or a PR travel document for the airline or bus company to let you board.

Once you have travelled and stand in front of immigration, your COPR is enough for you to enter, especially when you have only been a PR for a short time. If you have been a PR for more than 3 years and show up with nothing but a COPR, you might have some explaining to do but less then 3 years, there is no way you are in breach of the residency requirements yet.
Hello Leon,

I am maybe not in that stage to have CORP but I'd like to know what CORP is.
Could you please advice? Thanks very much!!

brookechung

Mar 26, 2012
Montreal
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville, AB
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-05-2011
LANDED..........
02-05-2012
Leon said:
COPR = Confirmation of Permanent Residence = landing papers
Oh, i got it now...thanks!

hanisuliman

Jul 20, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
3/6/2011
Doc's Request.
None
AOR Received.
13/11/2011
File Transfer...
Detroit 17/02/2012
Med's Done....
15/11/2011
Passport Req..
30/03/2012
VISA ISSUED...
2/4/2012
LANDED..........
2/4/2012
Leon said:

Hi,
I did the landing one month back and i need to go to the states for short visit. The problem i will be traveling without PR card and i'n not from visa exempt country BUT i still have my multiple student visa valid.

Can i board flight based on this visa and when i reach airport in Canada show my COPR??