+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do I need to reapply new application if defer program over 150days

Lavender06451

Feb 8, 2024
My LOI letter of introduction was approved last year base on my program which start on 05Feb2024 and I defer my program to July2024 due to some urgent issue .
I already got my updated letter of offer from my college and web form to IRCC .

My LOI validity is 2025/11/28 and I am planning to arrive June2024 . However , I got the reply from IRCC today as following :

"Your application has been finalized and closed. Please submit a new study permit application with your new Letter of Acceptance."

In my case , am I able to use my original LOI by presenting my updated school LOA and medical report when I am at the Port of Entry Canada and apply extend my permit 30days before the expired or I really need to apply a new application .

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
My LOI letter of introduction was approved last year base on my program which start on 05Feb2024 and I defer my program to July2024 due to some urgent issue .
I already got my updated letter of offer from my college and web form to IRCC .

My LOI validity is 2025/11/28 and I am planning to arrive June2024 . However , I got the reply from IRCC today as following :

"Your application has been finalized and closed. Please submit a new study permit application with your new Letter of Acceptance."

In my case , am I able to use my original LOI by presenting my updated school LOA and medical report when I am at the Port of Entry Canada and apply extend my permit 30days before the expired or I really need to apply a new application .
Due to the length of time since original SP you seem to be being asked to reapply. Your profile could have changed dramatically since you first applied. For example your health information may have changed significantly since then. Did you already land in Canada and initiate your study permit? If not your study permit has likely been cancelled in the electronic system. It is also fairly unusual to be able to keep on defering admission at schooll. Given your unusual start dates for semesters is this a private college or university? It sounds like your only option is to reapply.

Lavender06451

Feb 8, 2024
I did not land in Canada due to urgent family issue then I defer my course from Feb2024 to Jul2024 ( same program same school ) and already got the letter of offer .
My LOI was approve in May2023 and my college is a public school .

I tried to ask IRCC before I got the updated school letter of offer to reconfirm if I need to reapply the permit if I defer over 150 days cause I defer my program 155 days from the original program start date and the reply as following :

" Please note that applicants must seek entry to Canada to obtain their work / study permit before the expiry date of the POE letter and the medical examination results (medical exam results are good for 12 months only). When you arrive at Port of Entry in Canada, the Border Services Officer will review their documentation, make the final determination as to their admissibility to Canada and issue you a work / study permit. If the validity date of the POE letter has passed and you have not yet enter Canada, you must submit a new application. If the medical examination will expire or already expired before your travel to Canada, you will need to get another medical exam. Please contact a panel physician at: Panel Physicians (cic.gc.ca) "

After I got the confirm updated letter of offer and I web form IRCC immediately then IRCC reply me by

I am confused that my LOI validity is 2025/11/28 and based on the first reply , I do not need to reapply .
Due to the new policy , all study permit need an attestation letter and the arrangement only be announce at the end of March , I do not have enough time for apply the visa .

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I did not land in Canada due to urgent family issue then I defer my course from Feb2024 to Jul2024 ( same program same school ) and already got the letter of offer .
My LOI was approve in May2023 and my college is a public school .

I tried to ask IRCC before I got the updated school letter of offer to reconfirm if I need to reapply the permit if I defer over 150 days cause I defer my program 155 days from the original program start date and the reply as following :

" Please note that applicants must seek entry to Canada to obtain their work / study permit before the expiry date of the POE letter and the medical examination results (medical exam results are good for 12 months only). When you arrive at Port of Entry in Canada, the Border Services Officer will review their documentation, make the final determination as to their admissibility to Canada and issue you a work / study permit. If the validity date of the POE letter has passed and you have not yet enter Canada, you must submit a new application. If the medical examination will expire or already expired before your travel to Canada, you will need to get another medical exam. Please contact a panel physician at: Panel Physicians (cic.gc.ca) "

After I got the confirm updated letter of offer and I web form IRCC immediately then IRCC reply me by

I am confused that my LOI validity is 2025/11/28 and based on the first reply , I do not need to reapply .
Due to the new policy , all study permit need an attestation letter and the arrangement only be announce at the end of March , I do not have enough time for apply the visa .
Follow the instructions you have been sent by IRCC which clearly states you must reapply. The school has no control over this. If you want clarification contact IRCC. The fact that you got admission over a year from your start date has likely lead to the loss of your study permit. When did you do your medical? Has been over a year?