+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do I need to be in Canada to be eligible for CEC?

thisisanuragm

Feb 5, 2024
Hello, is it mandatory to be in Canada for 12 months to be eligible for CEC? What if I have job in Canadian Company for complete 12 months but I was not in Canada for the last 2 months but I was still working for the same company from India with a Valid Spouse Open Work Permit Visa.

Thanks in Advance!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello, is it mandatory to be in Canada for 12 months to be eligible for CEC? What if I have job in Canadian Company for complete 12 months but I was not in Canada for the last 2 months but I was still working for the same company from India with a Valid Spouse Open Work Permit Visa.

Thanks in Advance!
Yes it is mandatory.

Only work experience gained in Canada counts towards CEC as Canadian work experience. The 2 months you worked outside of Canada will be counted as foreign work experience.

Reactions: thisisanuragm

thisisanuragm

Feb 5, 2024
Yes it is mandatory.

Only work experience gained in Canada counts towards CEC as Canadian work experience. The 2 months you worked outside of Canada will be counted as foreign work experience.
Thanks for quick response, that's very helpful.

thisisanuragm

Feb 5, 2024
Yes it is mandatory.

Hi @scylla(scylla)

I am not sure if it's fair to ask as there is a different thread for it but could you also help with the following thread: https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/can-i-continue-working-on-sowp-till-its-valid-even-though-my-spouse-on-closed-work-permit-needs-to-go-back.833983/

I have an Open Work Permit which is valid till the end of this year and dependent on my spouse. My Spouse(who is on Closed Work Permit) needs go back due to project ramp-down, can I still be in Canada and continue working?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi @scylla(scylla)

I am not sure if it's fair to ask as there is a different thread for it but could you also help with the following thread: https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/can-i-continue-working-on-sowp-till-its-valid-even-though-my-spouse-on-closed-work-permit-needs-to-go-back.833983/

I have an Open Work Permit which is valid till the end of this year and dependent on my spouse. My Spouse(who is on Closed Work Permit) needs go back due to project ramp-down, can I still be in Canada and continue working?
When did you get the SOWP and move to Canada and when was he aware that he would need to leave Canada? What kind of WP did your husband have and if he was an a closed WP or ICT to run a project the company would have been aware that he would have only been in Canada for a part of the project and would need to return to India did they specify this is the WP application? Is this Tata consulting? There seems to be few Indian employers that are applying for mainly ICTs for any worker interested as a perk although there is no actual job or only a short project in Canada. IRCC is also at fault since they seem to be approving all the applications even though a large proportion leave Tata when they get to Canada since there is no job for them. Many get an SOWP for their spouse so they are the only ones working initially. Is your spouse scheduled to return to Canada sometime in the next year to return to work at the Canadian offices? You appear to have been able to work from India from the Canadian employer for multiple months when did you return to Canada? Was your spouse also in India at the same time with you? When did you return to Canada? Although technically you can work until the end of your SOWP the optics are not great on many levels.