+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do I need Police clearance Certificate?

backendcode

Apr 18, 2014
Guelph
Hello Everyone, I am collecting my documents to apply for Canadian citizenship. I have a quick question.

Do I need to submit PCC from back home where I lived before coming to Canada and PCC from Canada?along with my application?

Thank you,

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Hello Everyone, I am collecting my documents to apply for Canadian citizenship. I have a quick question.

Do I need to submit PCC from back home where I lived before coming to Canada and PCC from Canada?along with my application?

Thank you,
Within the last 4 years, if you spent 183 days or more in another country (other than Canada), you must provide a police certificate. You must provide a police certificate for each country where you spent 183 days or more. If you cannot get a police certificate, tell us why.
Example 1
In the past 4 years, you took one (1) trip to France that lasted 200 days. You would answer “Yes” to the question and you would need to provide a police certificate from France.
Example 2
In the past 4 years, you took 10 trips to the United States of America (USA). Each trip lasted 3 weeks, for a total of 210 days. You would answer “Yes” to the question and you would need to provide a police certificate from the USA.
Example 3
In the past 4 years, you spent one year (365 days) working in Singapore. While working in Singapore, you took a trip to Malaysia (10 days) and Thailand (10 days). You would answer “Yes” to the question and you would need to provide a police certificate from Singapore. You would not need to provide police certificates from Malaysia or Thailand.
Example 4
In the past 4 years, you took one (1) trip to Europe where you visited Portugal (5 days), Spain (7 days), France (10 days), Belgium (3 days), Netherlands (3 days), Germany (21 days), Switzerland (7 days) and Italy (21 days). You took a second trip to Europe where you visited Ireland (14 days), Scotland (14 days) and England (21 days). You went to Germany for a business trip that lasted 60 days. The total time you were outside of Canada was 186 days but you were not in a single country for 183 days or more. You would answer “No” to the question and you would not need to provide police certificates from any of the countries.

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015

Thank you,
See FAQ citation above. You don't need a PCC from Canada. Regarding your country of origin, count all days in that country in the last four years. It does not matter if those days were before you became a PR, after you became a PR or how long or short your stay was. Count ALL days in your country of origin. If you applied today, you would need to count all days since December 2, 2013. If the total is more than 183, then yes you need a PCC.

lossada

Sep 5, 2017

Thank you,
wait till they ask for

backendcode

Apr 18, 2014
Guelph
Within the last 4 years, if you spent 183 days or more in another country (other than Canada), you must provide a police certificate. You must provide a police certificate for each country where you spent 183 days or more. If you cannot get a police certificate, tell us why.
Example 1
In the past 4 years, you took one (1) trip to France that lasted 200 days. You would answer “Yes” to the question and you would need to provide a police certificate from France.
Example 2
In the past 4 years, you took 10 trips to the United States of America (USA). Each trip lasted 3 weeks, for a total of 210 days. You would answer “Yes” to the question and you would need to provide a police certificate from the USA.
Example 3
In the past 4 years, you spent one year (365 days) working in Singapore. While working in Singapore, you took a trip to Malaysia (10 days) and Thailand (10 days). You would answer “Yes” to the question and you would need to provide a police certificate from Singapore. You would not need to provide police certificates from Malaysia or Thailand.
Example 4
In the past 4 years, you took one (1) trip to Europe where you visited Portugal (5 days), Spain (7 days), France (10 days), Belgium (3 days), Netherlands (3 days), Germany (21 days), Switzerland (7 days) and Italy (21 days). You took a second trip to Europe where you visited Ireland (14 days), Scotland (14 days) and England (21 days). You went to Germany for a business trip that lasted 60 days. The total time you were outside of Canada was 186 days but you were not in a single country for 183 days or more. You would answer “No” to the question and you would not need to provide police certificates from any of the countries.
Dammnnnn, you nailed it, man!

Thank you for the help :)

NewUser2018

Jun 15, 2017

Thank you,
if u lived 183 outside during last 5 yrs u need Police Certificate.

but just apply without PC and they will request it or not request IT.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
if u lived 183 outside during last 5 yrs u need Police Certificate.

but just apply without PC and they will request it or not request IT.
Not a good idea. Not at all.

If the applicant checks "yes" in response to item 10.b and does not include a police certificate, it is likely that the application will NOT pass completeness screening and be returned.

The applicant can check "yes" and in the space provided state an explanation why no certificate is included, and there is a good chance that will pass the completeness screening, allowing the application to be processed. Then, sure, the applicant can wait to see if IRCC asks for a police certificate or not.

More prudent approach would be to at least try to obtain the police certificate before applying. Or, at the least, check "yes" and give the explanation, and in the meantime obtain a police certificate in case they ask for it later (they most likely will).

Checking "no" will of course pass completeness screening. Some forum participants not only suggest this is OK but assert that IRCC call centre agents say this is the way to answer this item if the time in the other country was prior to becoming a PR (even if call centre agents said this, it is likely this is NOT correct). Those who choose to take this approach (technically giving a false answer in response to item 10.b) can wait to see how it goes or similarly they can obtain the certificate in the meantime so that if and when IRCC requests it, they can submit it right away with minimal delay.

Reactions: ChippyBoy

DESIGN.IQ

Star Member
Oct 25, 2017
HI all

I got my police check from Turkish embassy
It's already with English script
Except the title and signature
Should I translate it?
Thanks

Canehdian Girl

Star Member
Aug 26, 2017
Is it necessary that the police clearance is translated and certified by the embassy? Or can I translate it and have an affidavit from any sworn translator?
Kindly advise
Thank you

samax

Mar 6, 2018
Hi guys, just a quick question: How long you think police certificate is valid? I have a police certificate from a country that I've lived more than 186 days in 2017 (I got it at the end of my stay), however this document is now over than 8 months old, do you think this police certificate is still acceptable for citizenship application or I need to get a new police certificate. Appreciate if you can help me soon, thanks alot!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Hi guys, just a quick question: How long you think police certificate is valid? I have a police certificate from a country that I've lived more than 186 days in 2017 (I got it at the end of my stay), however this document is now over than 8 months old, do you think this police certificate is still acceptable for citizenship application or I need to get a new police certificate. Appreciate if you can help me soon, thanks alot!
1. if you haven't returned to that country since the PCC was issued, then it is still valid for Citizenship.

Ali@KFU

Mar 31, 2018
Korea
Example 1
Example 2
Example 3
Example 4
Hi,
I appreciate for providing the detailed explanation!
I stayed for 1-year in Saudi Arabia from August-2012 to August-2013. It is now more than 4 years. According to your explanation, I understand that I don't need to submit PCC for my stay in Saudi Arabia.

I would be grateful to you if you please provide me the link of the relevant information from Canadian Immigration website that PCC should be needed from the countries where the applicant stayed within last 4-years (and of-course stayed for 186 days in that country at least).

btbt

Feb 26, 2018
I would be grateful to you if you please provide me the link of the relevant information from Canadian Immigration website that PCC should be needed from the countries where the applicant stayed within last 4-years (and of-course stayed for 186 days in that country at least).
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-0002-application-canadian-citizenship-under-subsection-5-1-adults-18-years-older.html#Step4

Scroll down to question 10 and you'll find:

(followed by some examples)