+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do I need a new Police Certificate?

umairzulfi

Star Member
Jul 26, 2012
Hi,

I came in Canada four years ago as a student. I did not travel to any other country in last four years. Now I am planning to apply for CEC and I am confused that if I need a new Police Certificate from my home country?

When I applied for Student Permit I provided Police Certificate and after coming to Canada I didn't go back to my home country. So in this case can I just use my four year old Police Certificate from my home country? Or do I need a new Police Certificate from my home country?

Thank you for you help,

Danish123

Star Member
Jul 8, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-05-2014
Doc's Request.
10-08-2016
AOR Received.
11-07-2014
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Med's Request
10-08-2016
Med's Done....
12-08-2016
Interview........
No
Passport Req..
29-09-2016
You need to get new PCC. PCC is valid for only 6 months..

istari

Champion Member
Jul 5, 2016
Australia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Danish123 is wrong on this one.

The 6 month validity is only applicable to your current country of residence.

For all other countries, the PCC is valid indefinitely. So if you haven't returned to your home country since your PCC was issued, it is still valid, and you can use it again.

Danish123

Star Member
Jul 8, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-05-2014
Doc's Request.
10-08-2016
AOR Received.
11-07-2014
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Med's Request
10-08-2016
Med's Done....
12-08-2016
Interview........
No
Passport Req..
29-09-2016
istari said:
Danish123 is wrong on this one.

The 6 month validity is only applicable to your current country of residence.

For all other countries, the PCC is valid indefinitely. So if you haven't returned to your home country since your PCC was issued, it is still valid, and you can use it again.
I believe for your home country its required.. However, you can check with CIC..

istari

Champion Member
Jul 5, 2016
Australia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Danish123 said:
I believe for your home country its required.. However, you can check with CIC..
The CIC website (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/intro.asp) clearly says:
"For the country you currently live in, the police certificate must be issued no more than six months before you apply.

For countries where you have lived for six months or more, the police certificate must be issued after the last time you lived in that country."

umairzulfi currently lives in Canada, so the PCC for his home country is valid indefinitely because he does not currently live there.

pkssandhu

Apr 16, 2013
Also, if you applied for a PCC when you were coming here as a student, usually the government only provides you with one copy. So that mean you have already submitted your one original copy when you applied for your student permit. If this is the case, then you will have to apply for another one so that you can submit that along with your documents. Note - the one that you have already submitted cannot be considered. You need to have an original copy of the PCC in hand that you can submit again when filling for your immigration.

If you did get more than one copy from your home country and you have it in hand, then never mind the above.

Hope that helps.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
umairzulfi said:
I came in Canada four years ago as a student. I did not travel to any other country in last four years. Now I am planning to apply for CEC and I am confused that if I need a new Police Certificate from my home country?

When I applied for Student Permit I provided Police Certificate and after coming to Canada I didn't go back to my home country. So in this case can I just use my four year old Police Certificate from my home country? Or do I need a new Police Certificate from my home country?

If you applied for the PCC BEFORE you left the country, even if it was only a short time before you left the country, then chances are good that IRCC will require a new one.

I would say if you still have the PCC, you could go ahead and apply with the old one. Then, in case they do ask, be prepared and get a new one.