+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

DM already but no PPR, Paris office, Non-exempt visa citizenship

canadamover

Oct 23, 2013
I am sponsored by my spouse. I hold a Chinese passport but since I study in France so my case was transferred to the Paris office. Sep. 23rd my case started 'In Process' and the 'medical received' showed the same day. Also I got an email that day asking for a police certificate in France. Sent to them the following week. Last night I just check the CIC application status randomly, it changed to 'Decision Made' already. It freaks me out......because they did not even ask me to send the passport to them, how can they reach a DM without PPR?? In my opinion, this could possibly be a sign of refusal but I would never want to think that way and I could never think of a reason to reject me without an interview or something. Just everything is so quiet in Paris office and they don't like to reply any inquiry. I searched in this forum and there were a bunch of similar cases and they got COPR afterwards. However, most of them were from visa-exempt country where they did not have to send in their passport for visa. So, anyone processed by Paris office and need to send in passport had a PPR after DM and finally got the visa???? Great appreciation of sharing the similar experience!!!!!!!!!!

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
05/11/12, received in Canada 19/11/12
LANDED..........
24/11/12, PR card received 30/01/12
Most people that get COPR without being asked for their passport are in general from visa-exempt, as you have seen, as they don't need to send their passport - the COPR is sent directly to them by post.

I went through London where a lot of applicants are visa-exempt, so it's the most common case. However, I remember at least one case (through London, not Paris, but the procedure could be similar in your case) where ecas went to DM, and the applicant (non visa-exempt) was asked to send their passport after that.

So - even if it's not a really common case, I don't think it means that you have been denied - you would have been asked for an interview or more supporting documents first. You will hopefully get a letter/email from Paris in the coming days asking to send your passport in. I suppose that because Paris and London mostly process visa-exempt applicants, the process for passport requests is less systematic than other VO (New Delhi, Manila, etc. ) where almost everybody has to send in their passport.

So - don't panic, you will hopefully hear from them very soon.
Bonne Chance!
Sweden

canadamover

Oct 23, 2013
Sweden said:
Most people that get COPR without being asked for their passport are in general from visa-exempt, as you have seen, as they don't need to send their passport - the COPR is sent directly to them by post.

I went through London where a lot of applicants are visa-exempt, so it's the most common case. However, I remember at least one case (through London, not Paris, but the procedure could be similar in your case) where ecas went to DM, and the applicant (non visa-exempt) was asked to send their passport after that.

So - even if it's not a really common case, I don't think it means that you have been denied - you would have been asked for an interview or more supporting documents first. You will hopefully get a letter/email from Paris in the coming days asking to send your passport in. I suppose that because Paris and London mostly process visa-exempt applicants, the process for passport requests is less systematic than other VO (New Delhi, Manila, etc. ) where almost everybody has to send in their passport.

So - don't panic, you will hopefully hear from them very soon.
Bonne Chance!
Sweden
well, thanks sooooo much at first for this very constructive and informative response!! That really eases me a lot. I had the same guess as you do. However, I always heard the stories from other VO like Beijing or Hong Kong where PPR should always be before the DM unless there is some problem. And by problem, it usually means a refusal. I guess the paris and london office do have different procedures. Let's hope the best!

Also, could you pls share some stories of denial that you have heard? though I dont think it is very often in family class. Does the immigration officer always give you a chance to explain (e.g. interviews or submitting substantial supporting documents, etc.) before denying a case? Just try to learn more about different situations. Still, great appreciation in advance!!!

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
05/11/12, received in Canada 19/11/12
LANDED..........
24/11/12, PR card received 30/01/12
I haven't heard about many denials, and I only know what people on the forum can say - which might be different than what CIC can see. I'm not saying that people are not honest, but obviously CIC has a different view on the case than the applicant itself.

Mostly, CIC seems to be denying applications in a few cases:
*relationship deemed not genuine: in that case, CIC will give a chance for an interview and more supporting documents
*a lot of red flags (huge age difference, very different cultural/ethnic/religious/education background, previous sponsorship, not lived together at all, not much support to each other etc.) - CIC will also ask for an interview to give a chance to applicants
*when somebody is trying to sponsor a spouse who is not a member of the family class: common law partners that have not lived together for 12 months, marriage not legal ( because one spouse was still married etc.). In that case, CIC will in general send a letter asking for an explanation and supporting documents, and not necessarily an interview.

So - if you have been living with your partner/your spouse, have similar backgrounds, and no previous sponsorship for your spouse, you're likely will have no issue. CIC had already asked for your police certificate, so they most likely don't need more documents from you, and unless you can clearly see ( I don't know your file) a reason for denial, you should get good news soon. Paris is also a fairly fast office in general, hopefully you won't have to wait too long. You can always send them an email stating that your ecas has turned into DM but you haven't received the request to submit your passport, and see if that prompts any answer from their side.

Sweden

canadamover

Oct 23, 2013
Sweden said:
I haven't heard about many denials, and I only know what people on the forum can say - which might be different than what CIC can see. I'm not saying that people are not honest, but obviously CIC has a different view on the case than the applicant itself.

Mostly, CIC seems to be denying applications in a few cases:
*relationship deemed not genuine: in that case, CIC will give a chance for an interview and more supporting documents
*a lot of red flags (huge age difference, very different cultural/ethnic/religious/education background, previous sponsorship, not lived together at all, not much support to each other etc.) - CIC will also ask for an interview to give a chance to applicants
*when somebody is trying to sponsor a spouse who is not a member of the family class: common law partners that have not lived together for 12 months, marriage not legal ( because one spouse was still married etc.). In that case, CIC will in general send a letter asking for an explanation and supporting documents, and not necessarily an interview.

So - if you have been living with your partner/your spouse, have similar backgrounds, and no previous sponsorship for your spouse, you're likely will have no issue. CIC had already asked for your police certificate, so they most likely don't need more documents from you, and unless you can clearly see ( I don't know your file) a reason for denial, you should get good news soon. Paris is also a fairly fast office in general, hopefully you won't have to wait too long. You can always send them an email stating that your ecas has turned into DM but you haven't received the request to submit your passport, and see if that prompts any answer from their side.

Sweden
Again, soooooooooo much appreciation for your explanations. I guess I will wait first and if there is any update I will come back to post it here for further reference for other people in the similar situation. Thanks again!!!!!

canadamover

Oct 23, 2013
9 days after DM and still no clue of what this decision is. No email, no regular mail. Sponsor side no letters either.

I sent a case inquiry this Tuesday though, no reply from this side either.

fingers crossed......

kxxserge

Oct 28, 2013
canadamover said:
9 days after DM and still no clue of what this decision is. No email, no regular mail. Sponsor side no letters either.

I sent a case inquiry this Tuesday though, no reply from this side either.

fingers crossed......
Hi Don't be afraid you will receive your passeport request letter.Paris' Vo works like that.

canadamover

Oct 23, 2013
kxxserge said:
Hi Don't be afraid you will receive your passeport request letter.Paris' Vo works like that.
Hi, thanks a lot first of all!! And by 'Letter', you mean regular mail? Did you receive your PPR after DM? How long did it take for you to receive your PPR? Thanks very much in advance for your info!!

kxxserge

Oct 28, 2013
canadamover said:
Hi, thanks a lot first of all!! And by 'Letter', you mean regular mail? Did you receive your PPR after DM? How long did it take for you to receive your PPR? Thanks very much in advance for your info!!
Yes you will receive an e-mail so that you may go to embassy to submit your passport. For your second question it can take less than a month.

canadamover

Oct 23, 2013
kxxserge said:
Yes you will receive an e-mail so that you may go to embassy to submit your passport. For your second question it can take less than a month.
thanks a lot! I guess I still have to wait because it will be 2 weeks till next Tuesday. Hope that it will come fast.

BTW, if I submit the passport to the embassy by person, could I get the visa the same day?

kxxserge

Oct 28, 2013
canadamover said:
thanks a lot! I guess I still have to wait because it will be 2 weeks till next Tuesday. Hope that it will come fast.

BTW, if I submit the passport to the embassy by person, could I get the visa the same day?
No, you can't because embassy will ask you to come back 2 days later. I m now living Montreal i got my PPR through Paris. And now i m sponsoring my wife and my daughter who are in Belgium. excuse i m learning English.i speak French.

canadamover

Oct 23, 2013
kxxserge said:
No, you can't because embassy will ask you to come back 2 days later. I m now living Montreal i got my PPR through Paris. And now i m sponsoring my wife and my daughter who are in Belgium. excuse i m learning English.i speak French.
Merci bcp!!! Je parle français aussi. J'ai habité en France pendant 3 ans, donc, pas mal de connaissance en français.

Alors, tu es belge? pourquoi tu as besoin de VISA pour venir au Canada? Pour nous chinois, le VISA est tous indispensable....

kxxserge

Oct 28, 2013
canadamover said:
Merci bcp!!! Je parle français aussi. J'ai habité en France pendant 3 ans, donc, pas mal de connaissance en français.

Alors, tu es belge? pourquoi tu as besoin de VISA pour venir au Canada? Pour nous chinois, le VISA est tous indispensable....
je ne suis pas belge. j ' étais en belgique pour raison d'étude aussi.