+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

DLI Change Actively Studying Rule

Amtheslayer

May 12, 2021
Hello,

I need some help understanding the “actively studying”rule for DLI changes. On the IRCC website it says:

Before you change your school or program, you must meet all the conditions of your study permit. This means you must be:

I am currently enrolled in a master’s program in Ontario holding a new LOA for a PhD program at another Ontario uni. My thesis defence is on August 20 and my new program begins on September 1. My question is:
When should I change the DLI? After graduation? After defence? If I do it after getting the letter of completion, then I won’t be “actively studying “ at the time of the DLI change. If I do it now then I haven’t graduated yet so it makes no sense to change DLI. I’m really nervous about what this might cause, any help is really appreciated.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello,

I need some help understanding the “actively studying”rule for DLI changes. On the IRCC website it says:

Before you change your school or program, you must meet all the conditions of your study permit. This means you must be:

I am currently enrolled in a master’s program in Ontario holding a new LOA for a PhD program at another Ontario uni. My thesis defence is on August 20 and my new program begins on September 1. My question is:
When should I change the DLI? After graduation? After defence? If I do it after getting the letter of completion, then I won’t be “actively studying “ at the time of the DLI change. If I do it now then I haven’t graduated yet so it makes no sense to change DLI. I’m really nervous about what this might cause, any help is really appreciated.
The good news is that this new rule isn’t to prevent people from going from a masters to PhD to you shouldn‘t have any issues. I would apply as soon as possible because you have very little time.

Amtheslayer

May 12, 2021
The good news is that this new rule isn’t to prevent people from going from a masters to PhD to you shouldn‘t have any issues. I would apply as soon as possible because you have very little time.
Thank you. Would you kindly elaborate on “apply”? Does this need to get accepted by IRCC like a SP extension?