+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Divorce on work permit

canadian26

Sep 19, 2014
Hi All,

I am sharing my life and requesting some help with regards to it. My name is Sahil and I am currently on Work visa living in Toronto. Work visa expires in 2016. I got married in India 6 years back. Since then my wife came to Canada last year on visitor visa since we had to spend some time. But now long story cut short, we both have decided to part ways. Her application for residency is in process but we both have decided to take divorce. It sounds sad but I believe it will be good in long run for both of us.

My marriage has been registered in India and not in Canada. Hence can someone please advise on how should I go ahead with the Divorce process as I have been getting mixed information everywhere. I would prefer not to get lawyer involved, but will have to if necessary.

Would divorce have any impact in my visa to become PR of Canada? Will I have to go back to India to get divorce since marriage is registered there? we both prefer 'Out of Court Settlement'.

But my main concern is my status and implications to live in Canada and on my current PR application file.

I just want the process to be as easy as possible.

Please help.!!!!

Regards,

Sahil

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You are eligible to get divorce in Canada if you have lived in Canada for a year or longer and if you have been separated for a year.

Are you eligible to get divorced in India even though neither of you lives there? If you are, I don't see why you couldn't do that if it's easier. A marriage from India is valid in Canada so a divorce from India should be valid as well.

If you have already applied for PR, you would need to notify immigration that you have separated and are heading for divorce. Once the divorce has been finalized, you have to send them the papers. Your wife will of course have to be removed from your application.