+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

divorce a spouse who is still under sponsorship process

sousie16

Jun 25, 2010
I married my husband in Canada he had a visitor visa that time and then we did application outside Canada to sponsor him then after the sponsorshsip application was approved and then sent to Islamabad for his PR process we came together to his country Pakistan and stayed with him till today unfortunately things are not good between us & i want to divorce and go back to Canada at this point he is saying that he's agreed but i have to wait until he decide when i can go because he doesn't have money right now to pay my tkt and i think he is doing this just to gain time because he might be getting his PR soon within a month or two. HE is saying he will give me paper saying that he agreed to divorce too and he cannot be present in canada in order for me to get my divorce sertificate. I am worried because of the agreement i signed.
What should i do????
please help

BostonGirl

Star Member
May 9, 2010
Boston
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Might I ask what were the terms of the agreement that you signed?

sbwv09

Feb 18, 2010
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Buffalo/NYC
App. Filed.......
May 17, 10
File Transfer...
June 22, 10/August 31, 10 (to NYC)
Med's Done....
April 6, 10
Passport Req..
September 13, 10
VISA ISSUED...
9/28, Received 10/21
LANDED..........
10/22/10
I believe she's referring to the sponsorship agreement, where you agree to support your PR applicant for three years, even if you are no longer married.

Sousie, I'm sorry that your marriage isn't doing well. Since he is NOT a PR yet, contact CIC immediately and cancel your sponsorship. You need to do this before he is approved as a PR. Then you will not be responsible for him in any way. Best of luck.

Allow me to add that you should be very sure that you don't want him to come to Canada before you take this step!

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
Sbwv09 is right. If you do not want to be married anymore, contact CIC or the Canadian visa office in Pakistan (the High Commission of Canada to Pakistan) and cancel your sponsorship. The agreement you signed to support your husband for three years is only if he gets a PR visa and comes to Canada. If the sponsorship is cancelled before he gets to Canada, you do not have to support him.

shikha99

Star Member
May 24, 2010
y did u rush in marraige if u were not ready??? u shud think more often. Not only are you responsible for him for 3 years, you cannot sponsor no one for 3 years and it's not easy to obtain divorce certificate and you have to provide him food shelter and clothing for three years and if he get's into any debt the goverment will send you the bill....

you shud stay with him, this is sanjogh and what god wanted, marraige is not a joke nor shud it be rushed,,,,,, just accept him, its bad to be divorced. At least that's what i think....

sbwv09

Feb 18, 2010
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Buffalo/NYC
App. Filed.......
May 17, 10
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
April 6, 10
Passport Req..
September 13, 10
VISA ISSUED...
9/28, Received 10/21
LANDED..........
10/22/10
Shikha, that is untrue. He is not a PR yet, so if she cancels her sponsorship now she won't be responsible for him for any period of time. Don't come around here scaring people into staying with someone they are unhappy with. Everyone makes mistakes and it's not right for someone online who doesn't know the situation to judge someone's standing with God or anyone else.

B

boyee6576

No matter what your religion or belief, if you believe in God or some higher power you know you are to have compassion for others and we are to be kind and help each other. No one is to judge only God so you should really appologize Shikha, :( that was not very kind. People come here all the time looking for help and guidence and no one has all the answers but we try to be ATLEAST supportive and share what we know. I am sure this lady didnt marry to get divorced, but those things happen and its not our place to judge. Being kind and caring goes along way, everyone has a struggle of some sort.

AllisonVSC

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo - Conjugal Partner
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2009
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2009
LANDED..........
04-11-2009
sousie16 said:
I married my husband in Canada he had a visitor visa that time and then we did application outside Canada to sponsor him then after the sponsorshsip application was approved and then sent to Islamabad for his PR process we came together to his country Pakistan and stayed with him till today unfortunately things are not good between us & i want to divorce and go back to Canada at this point he is saying that he's agreed but i have to wait until he decide when i can go because he doesn't have money right now to pay my tkt and i think he is doing this just to gain time because he might be getting his PR soon within a month or two. HE is saying he will give me paper saying that he agreed to divorce too and he cannot be present in canada in order for me to get my divorce sertificate. I am worried because of the agreement i signed.
What should i do????
please help
If you wish to cancel the sponsorship you need only inform cic. You do not need to inform your husband. Then you will have some time to arrange travel back home and will receive a refund for part of the application fees. I recommend you visit or at least contact the Canadian embassy in Pakistan as soon as possible. Present your passport or a photocopy, give them the address where you are living, and make them aware of your situation. I would also provide your spouse's name, the names of his family members and their addresses. The consulate should be able to refer to legal aid and emergency services should you need them. But they can't help you if they don't know about you.

And lastly I suggest you find a safe place, like a safety deposit box, to keep your passport and other identity documents for your own protection. Good luck and best wishes through this difficult situation.

Waiting4ever

Jun 14, 2010
Cananda
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-02-2010
File Transfer...
01-04-2010
Passport Req..
23-06-2010
VISA ISSUED...
15-07-2010
sousie16 said:
What should i do????
please help
You don't need to wait for him to buy a ticket. You can contact CIC now to cancel the sponsorship and also contact Canadian embassy. I'm sure the embassy can help you with the plane ticket to come back to Canada. Don't wait until it's too late (of course if you are sure that you want to divorce him).

I

iarblue

Yes contact the Canadian Embassy and tell them your situation that you dont have the funds to fly back here and that your marriage has not worked out, and you just want to come home.They will help you get home.
Marriage is not a guaranteed thing especially arranged,or internet,its really hard to know someone until you have lived with them or have been with them quite a bit before you marry, and as a lot of us here,we dont have the ability to be with our spouses a lot before they come.
Like posted earlier contact cic squash the PR app and go see the embassy to get you home.Im so sorry it didnt work out for you as this is all anyone really want sis to be loved and have someone to share your life with.Best of luck to you.But there is no reason on this earth you need to be unhappy no mater what you were brought up to believe.
Everyone deserves happiness.

sbwv09

Feb 18, 2010
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Buffalo/NYC
App. Filed.......
May 17, 10
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
April 6, 10
Passport Req..
September 13, 10
VISA ISSUED...
9/28, Received 10/21
LANDED..........
10/22/10
Best of luck and lots of blessings.. let us know how it goes!

yandnmirza

Jun 5, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-04-2010
Med's Done....
17-02-2010
i'm sorry to hear this. Definitely do not let any FOB from pakistan get away with this. I would contact immigration and do a complaint. Even if he lands you can try to get him deported! I hate it when people use other people to get sponsored.

Wish you best of luck. MY friend was in the same situation but in USA

yandnmirza

Jun 5, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-04-2010
Med's Done....
17-02-2010
oh yea BTW i know if you contact your embassy in Pakistan you can get an immigration loan of some sort. or even call and say you are stuck in pakistan and cant leave because no funds.

These are the rules and regulations for USA which im sure canada helps its citizens out as well